Huddersfield Broad canal is it doable in a 60'

hullygully

Featured Posts

Hi boy's n girls, Were looking for some advice re the Huddersfield broad canal...

I've been reading with interest the reports on this site, with the do's and dont's of this canal, but, this is what we would like to do next year.....

Starting from Sawley, up the T/M onto the Mac, Peak forest, Huddersfield Narrow, Standedge, Huddersfield Broad, Calder& Hebble, Rochdale canal.....then carry on to the Ribble link and the lancaster canal.....

Now the 64 million dollar question is......we have a 60foot semi trad, can we do it, I know theres 2 locks on the H/B that are tight, but folk say it can be done diagonally. so is there anyone here who's done it?? Also the best way to do it.....Clockwise, or Anticlockwise.....up hill or down if you like...

This all depends if the lock at Marpel is sorted by May time, this we'll keep a weather eye on, then it'll be plan B, whatever that is.....

Over to you guys, any info you have would be greatfully recived....

Cheers hullygully..

NB DAVLIN..

I don't know the answer to any of your qustions and I've still to do the Huddersfield. I just wanted to encourage you to do it. I'm in the stages of doing a similar circuit and it's beautiful. 

Something I've never done, is check the length of my boat but I've heard others have checked theirs. Is it worth you checking? (If you haven't) And if it falls a few inches short then that may make a difference? with fenders up. Oh, you might find it's more.!!

Good luck. 

Salterhebble top lock (27), last lock before Sowerby Bridge on the Calder& Hebble is one of the shortest. Canal plan has advice on going through. Think it will be very tight, but sure others will advise with more details Y/N/?

We've done it in a 60'. Some locks are very tight, the top two Salterhebble on the Calder and Hebble being the tightest. We had to come down them backwards so you'd be better off going up them which you will be if you follow your route. Follow the diagonal advice above on the Pennine Waterways web site. And watch your tiller when going up that it doesn't get caught under the bottom gate walkways.  Great trip though and well worth a bit of difficulty.

16 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Just a thought,  but boats aren't always the exact stated length.

The OP would be well advised to measure the exact length of his boat to ensure is really is 60 foot or less before attempting the north eastern canals.

For example, my 60ft turned out to be 60' 6'' when measured. Could be the 6'' makes the difference.

This subject has been discussed on here many times.  My judgement is that some 60' boats will clearly go through (C&H is tighter in places than HB), but some may not.  Hull shape is a factor, not just overall length.  The issue is that you will have to go diagonally in the locks.  This means that your stern will have to sit right back into the the corner of the lock.  Now picture a squared off stern, like a Springer.  It simply will not fit neatly into the corner.  It there were such a thing as a 60' Springer (is there??) then I'd pretty much guarantee it wouldn't go through.  My boat is more curved at the stern than a springer but still pretty wide so I'm doubtful that I'd go through if my boat was 60'.

The only real way to find out is to try it, but be very careful and empty/fill those locks as slowly as you can.  Cilling is highly likely when descending, as are hang-ups and also trapping your boat on rubbing strakes when going up or down.  You will also need to remove all fenders.  Good luck!

I know of several 60ft boats that have done the HB. Having experienced it several times in a 57' I would say it will be very tight with 60ft so you need to be extra vigilant.  The stern of our boat got hung up on the side wall of the bottom lock while  descending this year. The counter found a gap between the stones and the bow wedged into the opposite lock gate recess. It's these kind of things which you need to watch for and although we were on the ball it did give us a 'moment'. I don't think you will have trouble going up Salterhebble but you will have to watch your tiller on the new inside walkway on the bottom gates at Elland lock. The Pennines are worth the effort.

16 hours ago, hullygully said:

Hi boy's n girls, Were looking for some advice re the Huddersfield broad canal...

I've been reading with interest the reports on this site, with the do's and dont's of this canal, but, this is what we would like to do next year.....

Starting from Sawley, up the T/M onto the Mac, Peak forest, Huddersfield Narrow, Standedge, Huddersfield Broad, Calder& Hebble, Rochdale canal.....then carry on to the Ribble link and the lancaster canal.....

Now the 64 million dollar question is......we have a 60foot semi trad, can we do it, I know theres 2 locks on the H/B that are tight, but folk say it can be done diagonally. so is there anyone here who's done it?? Also the best way to do it.....Clockwise, or Anticlockwise.....up hill or down if you like...

This all depends if the lock at Marpel is sorted by May time, this we'll keep a weather eye on, then it'll be plan B, whatever that is.....

Over to you guys, any info you have would be greatfully recived....

Cheers hullygully..

NB DAVLIN..

I have done the HBC in a boat that was 60' 6" and it was VERY tight.

We were coming uphill, so in the tightest locks I managed to win a few inches by pushing the prow over the cill by a few inches to close the bottom gates. Going the other way you won't that luxury unless you descend backwards