Hard aground

Dav and Pen

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Whereabouts?

You are not trying to tell me you don't recognise that gate?

4 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Well, if anyone knows how to sort that out, it'll be the Buffer. Amazing what a proper Chief Boatswain's Mate could do with a set of sheerlegs!

No good using proper terminology on here old sport they will mostly think you are talking about polishing

43 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Ah, thank you.

No, I don't recognise that gate but I don't think I'd leave a boat in the middle of a flight closed for maintainence.

It’s a permanent offside mooring, presumably they decided they to leave it there when the pound was going to be drained

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

The pound above the admiral Nelson at Braunston

I hope the icebreaker has been moved!!

(Sharpness for people who want to add to the puns above)

That was not there the day before the flight shut. I’m saying nothing.....

It's not at all unusual for that pound at Braunston to be far enough down for that boat to be on the bottom, even if there us no stoppage there.

It's one of the worst in the flight for going down.

More curious is that on more than one occasion we have found this boat adrift.  Despite it being its permanent mooring, it is often nor well tied up,

11 hours ago, john6767 said:

Most common item on the prop on the BCN

How did this thread get on to Hosiery? Our experience is higher, as it were. A couple of bikini tops from the North Stratford and a very nice black lacy camisole number from the winding hole at Cambrian Wharf.

MP.

It seems to me who admittedly does not boat here any more that it Was never accepted to moor in a flight let alone have a permanent mooring. How times change. I was amused to see CARTs men pumping the same water around the second lock, it ran backwards into the sump so pumped out and back again. Nothing really changes.

4 hours ago, magictime said:

Don't see what all the fuss is about. That's pretty much par for the course if you want to pull in at a lock landing on the Huddersfield Narrow.;)

Lock landing on The Huddersfield Narrow! Where? I have never seen one!

On 15/11/2017 at 09:35, MoominPapa said:

How did this thread get on to Hosiery? Our experience is higher, as it were. A couple of bikini tops from the North Stratford and a very nice black lacy camisole number from the winding hole at Cambrian Wharf.

MP.

I would have thought pink more your colour Simon. :giggles:

53 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

That looks a nice canal. 

It is absolutely gorgeous. We did it for the first time a few weeks back and it has probably pushed the L&L around Skipton into second place among my favourite stretches of canal. That photo doesn't begin to capture the beauty and sheer scale of the Pennine scenery.

20 hours ago, magictime said:

It is absolutely gorgeous. We did it for the first time a few weeks back and it has probably pushed the L&L around Skipton into second place among my favourite stretches of canal. That photo doesn't begin to capture the beauty and sheer scale of the Pennine scenery.

It is spectacular but the novelty soon wears off when you've done it  few times.

• Happy 1

On 11/16/2017 at 00:05, Hudds Lad said:

If you look closely you can just see it, hidden behind all the reeds :D

File 16-11-2017, 00 02 02.jpeg

Ah yes , I see it! Thank you! I will bear that in mind next time I am lucky enough to be on the HNC!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 16:47, Dav and Pen said:

Hope it’s comes up.B0EA43B9-DA7E-4E23-86A0-959CCD589898.jpeg.de7607de8c8efa63927e9643bfdce1ef.jpeg

Working boaters would make sure the boat lifted when the water returned by simply passing a heavy line under the bow and the jiggling and pulling it down the length of the boat. This breaks the "suction" between the flat bottom and the mud, its an easy operation to do. Two people have to handle the line but from personal experience it works.