Toilets

Scholar Gypsy

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Go and see Crossness Pumping Station. They have a 25,000,000 gallon reservoir for poo that they emptied twice daily. They considered cassettes but decided against it.

Yes, my son has offered to take me there for my birthday present.  V excited....

On 13/11/2017 at 22:57, Scholar Gypsy said:

Yes, my son has offered to take me there for my birthday present.  V excited....

Crossness is fantastic, but Kempton is even more impressive.

Kempton is the biggest triple expansion engine I've ever seen running      

Edited by Flyboy

1 hour ago, Flyboy said:

Kempton is fantastic but I didn't get to reassemble and reinstall one of the Corliss valves on that so Crossness is particularly special for me.

On ‎13‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 22:41, system 4-50 said:

Go and see Crossness Pumping Station. They have a 25,000,000 gallon reservoir for poo that they emptied twice daily. They considered cassettes but decided against it.

Crossness is hugely impressive.

I came to it's unfussy majesty comparatively late, however it is the single-most interesting and practical thing directly benefiting the lives of the largest number of people I can think of.

10 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Loughborough University is a world leading centre in toilet technology, having won the Bill & Melinda Gates 'Reinvent the toilet' award in 2014.

Number 1 son completed a degree in the subject last year, Water & Environmental Waste Engineering  (WEWE)  :)

And number two son completed a degree in the Principles Of Over Powering Organic Odours (POOPOO). 

Maybe a bog seat in the shape of a window would qualify for the award  (without the glass, or it could get messy) 

Dejaveu

Edited by rusty69

On 11/16/2017 at 19:50, Flyboy said:

Wikipedia says it's the largest one still running  in the world. I was surprised to learn that it dates from 1926.

54 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Wikipedia says it's the largest one still running  in the world. I was surprised to learn that it dates from 1926.

Yes I was surprised when I went to see it that it is relatively modern and continued to be used until 1980.  It weighs in at 1000 tons and has two flywheels that weigh 13 tons each and runs at 10 - 15 rpm.  The machine tools that were used to make it must have been quite impressive too. It's the only steam engine I've seen that has a starter engine to get the high pressure cylinder over TDC ready to let the steam in. Well worth a visit if you're ever in W. London. 

14 hours ago, Flyboy said:

Yes I was surprised when I went to see it that it is relatively modern and continued to be used until 1980.  It weighs in at 1000 tons and has two flywheels that weigh 13 tons each and runs at 10 - 15 rpm.  The machine tools that were used to make it must have been quite impressive too. It's the only steam engine I've seen that has a starter engine to get the high pressure cylinder over TDC ready to let the steam in. Well worth a visit if you're ever in W. London. 

Thank you -  I certainly will. I wasn't too far away today seeing what happens when the PLA leave the weir up at Richmond ...

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2017/11/18/what-happens-if-you-leave-the-paddles-open/

2 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Thank you -  I certainly will. I wasn't too far away today seeing what happens when the PLA leave the weir up at Richmond ...

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2017/11/18/what-happens-if-you-leave-the-paddles-open/

Wow, I've never seen the Thames that low at Richmond before, handy for doing blacking though.

If you do go to Kempton, check on their website that they are in steam on your chosen day.  The last steaming day this year is tomorrow ( 19th Nov) resuming in March . In May there is a stationary engine day (Listers,Petters, Rustons etc) as well as steaming the triple)   http://www.kemptonsteam.org/visit-us/opening-times/

There's also the Kew beam engine not far away where you can see the largest working beam engine in the world  (90" bore) http://www.waterandsteam.org.uk/our-engines/90-inch-engine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGoQQCM4SMU