Dare I ask? Batteries question...

magictime

Featured Posts

My Trojans went for about 2 years without topping up. I then brought the charge voltage up to the recommended level and now top them up every 250 engine hours. I don't think I have ever topped the starter battery up. I didn't see a posting where you say what electrical instrumentation you have, volt meter, ammeter, hour counter, state of charge indicator etc.

My battery usage is about 70Ah per day and I recharge as fully as I can each day

41 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My Trojans went for about 2 years without topping up. I then brought the charge voltage up to the recommended level and now top them up every 250 engine hours.

Sounds about right. They don’t drink water (unless boiled) but under normal charging conditions it’s expected that they’ll use some. 

10 hours ago, WotEver said:

Any of the above really, it depends on what they have been set to deliver by the previous owner. :)

T105’s like 14.8V at 25C, temperature compensated (so higher in cold weather). 

See here:

http://www.trojanbattery.com/pdf/datasheets/T105_Trojan_Data_Sheets.pdf

They're not T105s, but point taken! If and when I get my head round the system I'll have to check. I'd be surprised if the previous owners hadn't set everything up according to Trojan's guidelines (they seemed the sort to invest time/effort in getting things right as well as money on the right equipment), and they got a good 7 years out of their previous set of Trojans, but still...

1 hour ago, forsberg said:

Seems that you may have kept up you side of the bargain, but without taking readings you can't really be sure.

Anyway with your small usage of electrics it's plausible that you have not used up much of the water, and if you totally ignored them until now you may not know if they were a bit over topped to begin with?

True enough. No sign of a mess round the vent caps to suggest electrolyte has leaked out, though.

33 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

My Trojans went for about 2 years without topping up. I then brought the charge voltage up to the recommended level and now top them up every 250 engine hours. I don't think I have ever topped the starter battery up. I didn't see a posting where you say what electrical instrumentation you have, volt meter, ammeter, hour counter, state of charge indicator etc.

My battery usage is about 70Ah per day and I recharge as fully as I can each day

There's a multimeter, I think, in a drawer, but I don't know how to use it or what for. No hour counter, no state of charge indicator (is that a 'Smartgauge'?) as far as I know. As I say, I am booked in for a course with RCR.