Mabel swans neck stolen

Jrtm

Featured Posts

10 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thanks! I am no expert, but I thought that the ram's head was the bit of a butty's rudder structure into which the tiller fitted, whereas a swan('s) neck was the curved bar or tube which linked tiller to rudder on a motor boat; not so?

(I'm not sure if Mabel is a motor or a butty, but an earlier reference to the purloined part being metal suggest a motor).

Mabel is a Motor the one with the round counter & the T&G cabin Many tears back owned by Peter Froud & rigged as hotel boats Skippered in the mid 60's by Peter Fox with wife joyce running the hotel side they went on to run hotel pair Mallard & Dabchick

10 minutes ago, archie57 said:

You're right about the butty ( to which a Swans Neck - a piece of ropework - was sometimes attached) - also known as a rams head. The tiller attaches to both!

Thanks again. So, if a swan's neck is a piece of ropework, what is the angled metal connection which goes from tiller bar to rudder correctly called? I thought that was the swan's neck.

18 hours ago, pete harrison said:

To be honest I am surprised these boats have not been stripped of their ironwork a long time ago, 'T' studs and dollies, Rams head and rudder, stem and stern irons e.t.c. -  :captain:

1 hour ago, archie57 said:

.....sorry to be pedantic, but please could we call the missing item by the correct name - we had this discussion a while ago!  This is how history gets distorted.....

I did expect to be quizzed when I wrote Rams Head yesterday but it seems to have been passed by - as you have stated a Swan(s) Neck is a piece of ropework :captain: