Mabel swans neck stolen

Jrtm

Featured Posts

Hope Jan dosnt mind but posted here as it is on a historic boat.

I hate to see items off boats stolen so hope this may help.

Looks like it was stolen in july by now prob been repainted and fitted but you never know as items like this arnt cheap and being part of a historic boat wont exactly be easy to try and make an exact copy.

Edited by billybobbooth

35 minutes ago, RLWP said:

The curse of technology

We cruised past them last Sunday, I'm afraid they are beginning to look very poor indeed

There is a plank across the hold of Mabel or Forget me Not, is this new? 

Richard

The last pic i saw of them taken a few weeks ago no there was no plank across them prob put there to get across the butty to get into mabel

Just now, RLWP said:

<groan>

Prob the noise it made when removed

6 hours ago, pete harrison said:

- all what we called 'salvage' when I worked on the boats :captain:

Theft is theft.

The question shouldn't be "Does this belong to anyone?"  but should be "Does this belong to me?" 

If the answer is "No" but it is taken anyway then it is "theft" not "salvage". 

People who find themselves in the position where they can no longer care for their boats have enough to worry about without thieves taking the last remaining bits that may make it worth saving then others legitimising the theft as "salvage". 

• Greenie 1

56 minutes ago, carlt said:

Theft is theft.

The question shouldn't be "Does this belong to anyone?"  but should be "Does this belong to me?" 

A very well made point; but perhaps another pertinent question might be "do these belong to anybody"? The boats are a very sad sight, appearing to be totally abandoned and derelict. Perhaps their owner has passed away?

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

A very well made point; but perhaps another pertinent question might be "do these belong to anybody"? The boats are a very sad sight, appearing to be totally abandoned and derelict. Perhaps their owner has passed away?

Yes I know the owner.

That isn't the pertinent question when considering removing items though. 

The pertinent question is "Am I the owner?" 

7 hours ago, pete harrison said:

To be honest I am surprised these boats have not been stripped of their ironwork a long time ago, 'T' studs and dollies, Rams head and rudder, stem and stern irons e.t.c. - all what we called 'salvage' when I worked on the boats :captain:

I to am very surprised. Mables anser pins and fmn rear hooks too. But for the swans neck to be the only thing taken someone must have needed one to leave the rest.

Totally agree theft is theft no matter how the facts are twisted to suit  one of the latter day working boaters "nicked" the side cloths off my butty after I had decided to alter my pair to Hotel boating I knew who it was as did other boaters but could never prove anything sad part was I could have made a few "bob" towards my fit out Regarding M& FmN the longer they lay the less chance of any hope of saving them & the problem seem to gather momentum some one passing notes parts that were there the last passing are now gone so think I could use a "whatever" so the less honest  possibly help them selves which is a shame but unfortunately a common occourance

2 hours ago, carlt said:

Theft is theft.

People who find themselves in the position where they can no longer care for their boats have enough to worry about without thieves taking the last remaining bits that may make it worth saving then others legitimising the theft as "salvage". 

Not necessarily.  A defence to a charge of theft is that the taker reasonably believed the property had been abandoned.  A subjective test to be considered by the jury.

George

1 hour ago, furnessvale said:

Not necessarily.  A defence to a charge of theft is that the taker reasonably believed the property had been abandoned.  A subjective test to be considered by the jury.

George

"If it's not yours then keep your hands of it!" may not be the letter of the law but it's a good starting point for a moral code.

I have in the past made every effort to find out if a boat has been abandoned or not...becoming the rightful owner on several occasions, but if I couldn't .find the owner or prove it to be abandoned I left it alone...even when BW have told me "We don't know who the owner is, just take it."

It is easy to locate the owner of these boats. She has even posted on here. 

There is no reasonable excuse to thieve from them.

Edited to add: My first point was correct though...Theft is Theft.

Your attempt at pedantry merely claims that taking something without permission is not always theft but...Theft is Theft.

Edited by carlt

3 hours ago, carlt said:

Theft is theft.

Totally agree, many of the existing Gu boats have lost all original portholes, etc and presume these were stripped by tea leaves when laid up in the Wendover arm, even though I understand that some components were removed by Bw prior to leaving the boats there. 

1 minute ago, carlt said:

It is easy to locate the owner of these boats. She has even posted on here. 

In that case, perhaps she would confirm that the swan-neck was removed for a legitimate reason - such as for sale or renovation? Despite Billy's thread title (and I have no doubt that he means well) we don't actually know that the part has been stolen.

Just now, Athy said:

In that case, perhaps she would confirm that the swan-neck was removed for a legitimate reason - such as for sale or renovation? Despite Billy's thread title (and I have no doubt that he means well) we don't actually know that the part has been stolen.

We do, the OP knows the owner - Jan

Well I'm assuming he has spoken with her

Richard