Dinette / bed cushion foam type?

Mikexx

Featured Posts

36 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

I need to make some cushions suitable for seating and for turning into a bed mattress.

Can anyone point me to the thickness I should have, the type of foam, and ideally affordable suppliers?

Many thanks.

Can’t help with type and thickness but on the odd occasions I’ve bought some foam Ebay has easily had the best prices. 

When I had my cushions made up for my seating cum mattress made the upholsterer recommended that (a) I had 5" foam and (b) that it be the firmest available. I'm no lightweight and they've stood the test of time. I also specified that the covers be removable and machine washable. Seemingly the material used was used for pub seating. Can't remember the fellows name etc but he was based in Malvern. If he's still in business i'm sure you could Google, it was an established company.

Frank  

Edited by Slim

6 minutes ago, Slim said:

When I had my cushions made up for my seating cum mattress made the upholsterer recommended that (a) I had 5" foam and (b) that it be the firmest available. I'm no lightweight and they've stood the test of time. I also specified that the covers be removable and machine washable. Seemingly the material used was used for pub seating. Can't remember the fellows name etc but he was based in Malvern. If he's still in business i'm sure you could Google, it was an established company.

Frank  

Had a quick Google, pretty sure it was a company called Clemants.

8 minutes ago, Slim said:

Frank  

Yes we used 5" thick high density foam for the uphostery on the bed/setee unit that I built, and it lasted well. From recollection the company was called something like Ace Foam. I also used them to supply new uphostery laminated/domed foam pads for a set of victorian chairs I restored.

Beware not all foam is equal,  fire risk is not just about flammability but also about how toxic the gases given off are.  Some give off masses of poisonous fumes long before they burn others have much lower toxicity. Anything certified for use in furniture will be best, and ideally should have a liner/cover that will protect the foam from sparks cigarette butts etc.

When we had our dinette redone my experience of the hire fleet lead me to request 6" high quality foam. The person doing the cushions and my wife insisted that 4" would be fine. It was not and ha snow collapsed to a degree. I would now specify and stick to  4" of very heave duty "chip" foam with 1" of less dense 1" foam glued to either side and all wrapped in stockinette. This assumes a reversible cushion, If it was not reversible I would still stick with 4" chip foam but have 2" of less dense foam on top.

I am not sure  I would describe the Dunelm foam as good quality.

1 hour ago, Tony Brooks said:

When we had our dinette redone my experience of the hire fleet lead me to request 6" high quality foam. The person doing the cushions and my wife insisted that 4" would be fine. It was not and ha snow collapsed to a degree. I would now specify and stick to  4" of very heave duty "chip" foam with 1" of less dense 1" foam glued to either side and all wrapped in stockinette. This assumes a reversible cushion, If it was not reversible I would still stick with 4" chip foam but have 2" of less dense foam on top.

I am not sure  I would describe the Dunelm foam as good quality.

If you are going to specify some form of lamination, it should actually be the other way round with a high density core and heavy duty chip foam round the dges to prevent premature collapsing. A core of chip foam would certainly last well, but the downside would be a less comfortable cushion. Personally I do not think there is any need for any lamination, unless you are going to subject the edges to excessive stress, by usuing the mattress as a seat.

A stockinette cover will not make the matress any more comfortable, but it will ensure that the ticking (cover) will last longer, much like the traditional Calico undercover on chairs and sofas does.

Edited by David Schweizer

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

If you are going to specify some form of lamination, it should actually be the other way round with a high density core and heavy duty chip foam round the dges to prevent premature collapsing. A core of chip foam would certainly last well, but the cost would be a less comfortable cushion.

That is why I would have the less dense foam top and bottom of just on the top if the cushion is not reversible.  If the chip foam was around the edges i think the high density foam will still collapse and then you end up with ridges in your bed.

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

That is why I would have the less dense foam top and bottom of just on the top if the cushion is not reversible.  If the chip foam was around the edges i think the high density foam will still collapse and then you end up with ridges in your bed.

You are making it too complicated Laurie, I worked in the contract furniture industry for eight years, and the cushion composition that I described in my earlier post is what we used for all our deep uphostery lounge chairs. We hd no problems with the foam pads at all, which is more than i can say for the vynil covering material we used, which stretched with use causing unsightly bagging.

Sorry for not being more active in this topic I started. I've had a number of distractions.

On 12/11/2017 at 22:35, Slim said:

Had a quick Google, pretty sure it was a company called Clemants.

Many thanks. I can find a 'Clements" but they aren't really a supplier of foam products. I already have someone ready to do the machine-work, but need the foam and ideally have it cut to size.

On 12/11/2017 at 22:42, David Schweizer said:

Yes we used 5" thick high density foam for the uphostery on the bed/setee unit that I built, and it lasted well. From recollection the company was called something like Ace Foam. I also used them to supply new uphostery laminated/domed foam pads for a set of victorian chairs I restored.

Just looked up Ace Foam and their firm foam 5" thick 80" x 60" is £200!

Many thanks, but was hoping this might not be quite so expensive!

6 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

Just looked up Ace Foam and their firm foam 5" thick 80" x 60" is £200!

Many thanks, but was hoping this might not be quite so expensive!

I researched a lot of foam suppliersd before ordering my matress cushions, and for the same quality, Ace Foam were actually cheaper than some of their competitors. We have a major Bed manufacturing company only a few miles away, with a foam supplying subsidiary. They could not match Ace on price.

On 13/11/2017 at 19:48, David Schweizer said:

If you are going to specify some form of lamination, it should actually be the other way round with a high density core and heavy duty chip foam round the dges to prevent premature collapsing. A core of chip foam would certainly last well, but the downside would be a less comfortable cushion. Personally I do not think there is any need for any lamination, unless you are going to subject the edges to excessive stress, by usuing the mattress as a seat.

A stockinette cover will not make the matress any more comfortable, but it will ensure that the ticking (cover) will last longer, much like the traditional Calico undercover on chairs and sofas does.

The mattress would be used be used as a seat.

I was unaware that chip foam was more 'rugged' than standard 'high density' foam. I might have thought the opposite was the case?

8 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I researched a lot of foam suppliersd before ordering my matress cushions, and for the same quality, Ace Foam were actually cheaper than some of their competitors. We have a major Bed manufacturing company only a few miles away, with a foam supplying subsidiary. They could not match Ace on price.

Perhaps I'm conscious on eBay I can buy a laminate 5" reflex/1" memory foam mattress for a small double for £70, including stockinette etc.

7 minutes ago, Mikexx said:

Perhaps I'm conscious on eBay I can buy a laminate 5" reflex/1" memory foam mattress for a small double for £70, including stockinette etc.

I am sure you can, but what grade is it? Most suppliers recommend 5" CM35 (hard, medium or soft) for mattresses.

• 5 months later...
On 18/11/2017 at 14:24, David Schweizer said:

I am sure you can, but what grade is it? Most suppliers recommend 5" CM35 (hard, medium or soft) for mattresses.

Two suppliers have suggested 'medium' for 6" foam. Is that going to be too thick?

Rather than create a new topic I thought I would resurrect this one.

Is there a formula for seat cushion over-hang beyond the seat? I'm also assuming the bottom cushion occupies the whole area of the seat and the upright cushion sits on this.

Can anyone suggest the type of fabric I ought to aim for, is there a 'standard'?