Really annoyed the fishermen today...

MoominPapa

Featured Posts

We went down Foxton locks yesterday and moored for the night just beyond bridge 64. Set off this morning and did the half-mile to Debdale past a fishing match, used the winding hole (with three very grumpy fishermen ranged around it) and then did the half mile back past the same fishermen.

I almost wished I'd tried the trip boat winding hole, but it didn't look wide enough for our 60' and a day with a howling cold side-wind would not have been a good one to find that it wasn't.

If you don't want your swim disturbed, why fish in a winding hole?  And who is daft enough to set pegs for a match around a winding hole?

MP.

We upset some fishermen a few weeks ago, bearing in mind on The Chesterfield they don't see any boats moving very often winding holes and lock landings are prime targets.

We were on a mission to try and remove around 4-5' depth of offside brambles that have spent a good many years almost smothering some blackthorn bushes, many of which we didn't even know where there until we started cutting into the brambles. The length involved was about 200 yards but, after spending the around 2 days on it we were not able to finish, there is probably about another 50' to do. It was an evil job to work on and it was much easier to offload the cuttings on a regular basis to keep as much space in the hold of the boat as possible so it was safer to work in. 

The area we were cutting was just beyond a winding hole and the place we were unloading was just beyond the winding hole in the opposite direction and involved reversing around a bend through a bridgehole. 

I just don't understand why the fisherman didn't just up-sticks and move somewhere with less disturbance when he realised what we were up to but, no, each time we had to wind or reverse the eyebrows were raised and there was much huffing and sighing and failing to make eye contact with us.....

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

We went down Foxton locks yesterday and moored for the night just beyond bridge 64. Set off this morning and did the half-mile to Debdale past a fishing match, used the winding hole (with three very grumpy fishermen ranged around it) and then did the half mile back past the same fishermen.

I almost wished I'd tried the trip boat winding hole, but it didn't look wide enough for our 60' and a day with a howling cold side-wind would not have been a good one to find that it wasn't.

If you don't want your swim disturbed, why fish in a winding hole?  And who is daft enough to set pegs for a match around a winding hole?

MP.

But the boating season is over now,its the fishing season:giggles:

1 hour ago, MoominPapa said:

MP.

Earlier today I dropped off the river section from Alrewas on the T and M to go into Barton turns marina. There were NO anglers the whole way until exactly opposite the marina entrance where there was a lone angler with THREE rods stuck into the cut, it was blowin a hooley and he saw me coming for ages as its dead straight. The gap as usual is slim and I turned in with wind blowin like hell trying to stop me entering. I had to go in reverse a bit to get round and the angler now has one rod not three as I needed full power to complete the manoeuvre which being a superstar I managed first attempt.

I was very close to him and asked why the hell he fished in such a stupid place in such high winds and he just glared at me and said not  a word, bloomin eck where do these idiots come from?

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Earlier today I dropped off the river section from Alrewas on the T and M to go into Barton turns marina. There were NO anglers the whole way until exactly opposite the marina entrance where there was a lone angler with THREE rods stuck into the cut, it was blowin a hooley and he saw me coming for ages as its dead straight. The gap as usual is slim and I turned in with wind blowin like hell trying to stop me entering. I had to go in reverse a bit to get round and the angler now has one rod not three as I needed full power to complete the manoeuvre which being a superstar I managed first attempt.

I was very close to him and asked why the hell he fished in such a stupid place in such high winds and he just glared at me and said not  a word, bloomin eck where do these idiots come from?

What are you doing going into a marina

Visit the butcher while you are in the marina 

For me it is far better than even the one in Alrewas which everyone raves about 

Best sausages I found (very little fat when grilled)  were in the great haywood farm shop. I never usually eat sausages but theirs are super tasty Haggis 

• Happy 1

I had a run in with a fisherman today. He saw me coming on a long straight but didn't get off his arse until the last minute to pull the 4 fishing rods that he had in.

As usual I slowed down but the speed he was moving at a snag was inevitable. The last line got caught on the boat resulting in the fisherman jumping up and down shouting alow down. By this point I was in tick over out of gear and just drifting slowly.

I would have been very cooperative if the fisherman hadn't of jumped up and down shouting and swearing, generally being abusive and threatening. Because of the way he was acting, I put the boat into gear and accelerated back up to cruising speed. He followed me for several hundred feet until he cut his line with scissors. Unfortunately I now have lots of braided fishing line tight around the shaft and no weed hatch in which to use to remove it :/

We upset several fisherfolk this morning when Naughty-Cal blew several feet entirely sideways into "their" swim. Pretty sure they thought we had somehow done it on purpose!

The paddlers on the otherhand who saw the bow line ripped out of my hand by the wind and the bow swing straight out into their path were very polite and friendly as Naughty-Cal aimed directly at them, I jumped aboard leaving Liam on the bank, got blown back across the river in the middle of their gaggle of 20 or so canoes and fluked getting the R Send of the boat near enough to the bank for Liam to make the leap of faith back into the cockpit!

4 minutes ago, Liam said:

I had a run in with a fisherman today. He saw me coming on a long straight but didn't get off his arse until the last minute to pull the 4 fishing rods that he had in.

As usual I slowed down but the speed he was moving at a snag was inevitable. The last line got caught on the boat resulting in the fisherman jumping up and down shouting alow down. By this point I was in tick over out of gear and just drifting slowly.

I would have been very cooperative if the fisherman hadn't of jumped up and down shouting and swearing, generally being abusive and threatening. Because of the way he was acting, I put the boat into gear and accelerated back up to cruising speed. He followed me for several hundred feet until he cut his line with scissors. Unfortunately I now have lots of braided fishing line tight around the shaft and no weed hatch in which to use to remove it :/

Swap you for stern drive oil seals when that happens!

I passed 19 fishermen setting up for a competition from 0915 this morning.  They were on the two pounds between lock 28 and lock 26 (Stoke Locks on the W&B).  Each one as I passed gave a cheery greeting until the last one who avoided eye contact and did look as if he didn't intend to enjoy his day.

You could say that this indicates that they are not a grumpy bunch.  Mind you the competition hadn't started so they had the encouraging feelings of the possibility of winning.

N

16 minutes ago, Theo said:

I passed 19 fishermen setting up for a competition from 0915 this morning.  They were on the two pounds between lock 28 and lock 26 (Stoke Locks on the W&B).  Each one as I passed gave a cheery greeting until the last one who avoided eye contact and did look as if he didn't intend to enjoy his day.

You could say that this indicates that they are not a grumpy bunch.  Mind you the competition hadn't started so they had the encouraging feelings of the possibility of winning.

N

I usualy find them amaiable I suppose its a bit like lycra and cyclists.

1 hour ago, haggis said:

Visit the butcher while you are in the marina 

For me it is far better than even the one in Alrewas which everyone raves about 

Best sausages I found (very little fat when grilled)  were in the great haywood farm shop. I never usually eat sausages but theirs are super tasty Haggis 

Just eaten a pork pie from Barton marina deli.. superb..

Ian.