Marina Dog Ban

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

We have /have had a number of dogs ownered by members of the gliding club. I can’t think of any that have not at some point shat or pissed on the clubhouse carpet, despite the fact that all their owners deny any such possibility, and when faced with the facts say “it’s never happened before”.Yea right!. Dog owners are generally besotted and in denial.

This I find amazing and I think is says a lot about the members of your gliding club. Do they not allow their dogs to relieve themselves before entering the clubhouse? Do they not keep their dogs on leads when in public places like clubs or pubs? Or do the owners get so rat a**** that they no longer are aware what their dogs are doing?  I am glad I am not a member of your club :-). This reminds me of being in the navigation at Buxsworth once when the locals all seemed to have (rather large) dogs which were allowed to wander around (off lead)  where others were eating and generally made nuisances of themselves. 

Haggis

Edited by haggis

1 hour ago, nicknorman said:

But that aside, in my capacity as a non-dog owner it is remarkable how all owners will be adamant that their dog is friendly/just wants to play/doesn’t worry sheep/always gets its poo picked up etc etc, whilst at the same moment clearly not having their dog under control nor even being directly watched. “Oh I don’t need to watch Fido all the time because he has had his poop for the day”  ... with back turned to yet another steaming pile of doodoo.

We have /have had a number of dogs ownered by members of the gliding club. I can’t think of any that have not at some point shat or pissed on the clubhouse carpet, despite the fact that all their owners deny any such possibility, and when faced with the facts say “it’s never happened before”.Yea right!. Dog owners are generally besotted and in denial.

Sounds like the club house where I moor.

:(

I can't even eat in there now due to the dogs.

:(

56 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

TBH, this is the most important post in this thread.  Athy has invented a new word, and being a avid lexicographile, I would like to know what it means, please.

No, on this occasion I have not. To skrike is a venerable word, of Northern origin I think, which means to cry. I assume that it is onomatopoeic. But thanks for the compliment anyway.

Edited by Athy

1 hour ago, MJG said:

What a load of nonsense. What exactly does that have to do with anything, you choose to spend money on gliding (I presume it isn't free) rather than send it to Somalia or some other impoverished country. Dog owners spend it on their chosen hobby. Hey ho...

No, you completely miss the point. My contention was that some (most) dog owners consider their animals more important than other human beings. I am a human being and if I chose to spend money on gliding rather than the starving hordes it is because I consider myself more important than those other human beings. Selfish, yes, but at least I don’t have an anthropomorphised dog to fritter money on just so it can shit it out on other people’s property.

• Greenie 1

59 minutes ago, haggis said:

This I find amazing and I think is says a lot about the members of your gliding club. Do they not allow their dogs to relieve themselves before entering the clubhouse? Do they not keep their dogs on leads when in public places like clubs or pubs? Or do the owners get so rat a**** that they no longer are aware what their dogs are doing?  I am glad I am not a member of your club :-). This reminds me of being in the navigation at Buxsworth once when the locals all seemed to have (rather large) dogs which were allowed to wander around (off lead)  where others were eating and generally made nuisances of themselves. 

Haggis

Well it is a nice club but there are a few selfish dog owners who think there dogs are more important than anything else, and/or who think their dog’s behaviours and excretory patterns will be identical in a club house with lots of strangers as they are in the placid comfort of their own homes.

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

No, you completely miss the point. My contention was that some (most) dog owners consider their animals more important than other human beings. I am a human being and if I chose to spend money on gliding rather than the starving hordes it is because I consider myself more important than those other human beings. Selfish, yes, but at least I don’t have an anthropomorphised dog to fritter money on just so it can shit it out on other people’s property.

No I missed nothing Nick.

You actually missed mine. Some people might consider what you do with your money 'frittering' it.

It's no different, it's just a differing choice of hobby. The alternative of sending money currently spent on a dog or gliding to charity has no relevance what so ever. Some dog owners will even manage to do both as I guess so will some glider pilots.

Edited by MJG

6 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well it is a nice club but there are a few selfish dog owners who think there dogs are more important than anything else, and/or who think their dog’s behaviours and excretory patterns will be identical in a club house with lots of strangers as they are in the placid comfort of their own homes.

So, their dogs are allowed to poo and pee in their own homes? What odd people! I didn't realise that folk who glide(gliders?) would behave like that. It is after all, not the dogs fault but the owners who allow the behaviour.

haggis

1 minute ago, MJG said:

No I missed nothing Nick.

You actually missed mine. Some people might consider what you do with your money 'frittering' it.

It's no different, it's just a differing choice of hobby. The alternative of sending money currently spent on a dog or gliding to charity has no relevance what so ever. Some dog owners will even manage to do both as I guess so will some glider pilots.

So are you saying that having a dog is just a hobby? I thought a dog was for life, not just for Christmas or until you decided on a different hobby? Isn’t keeping an animal just for your amusement some form of slavery? What about the dog’s human rights?

35 minutes ago, haggis said:

So, their dogs are allowed to poo and pee in their own homes? What odd people! I didn't realise that folk who glide(gliders?) would behave like that. It is after all, not the dogs fault but the owners who allow the behaviour.

haggis

No what I was suggesting it that it might be the excitement of a new unfamiliar place with lots of strange people and novel smells that causes the dogs to “wet their knickers”. I doubt the dogs do that in their own homes (but I don’t know that of course).

Mod comment:  I've edited this post and can I remind the forum that personal attacks are not allowed.  Disagree with each other all you like but play nice.

35 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Edited by Dave_P

14 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

What about the dog’s human rights?

Dont you mean canine rights?

Yes for some dog ownership is indeed a hobby, for others it's companionship. The 'for life' thing is just a reminder about the long term responsibility you take on.

Any way Nick I'm just sorting my Xmas shopping and I wondered if you would like this, and in what size please?

t8ep82lh.png

Edited by MJG

7 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

So are you saying that having a dog is just a hobby? I thought a dog was for life, not just for Christmas or until you decided on a different hobby? Isn’t keeping an animal just for your amusement some form of slavery? What about the dog’s human rights?

There may be some kind of clue in the term "human rights" that tells you about a dog's human rights!

I would agree that there is a subset of complete idiots who own dogs and conform to the stereotypes that you mention. You say most, but of course the point that you ignore here is that those that do conform to these stereotypes are noticeable for that very reason, so tend to be overreported.

For the record, my dogs stay on the lead at all times, are not permitted to "just be friendly" with random strangers, and are not taken into establishments where humans eat food.

3 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

TBH, this is the most important post in this thread.  Athy has invented a new word, and being a avid lexicographile, I would like to know what it means, please.

Skriking was a word in common usage when I grew up in Lancashire in the late 50's to mid 60's. It means crying.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Skriking was a word in common usage when I grew up in Lancashire in the late 50's to mid 60's. It means crying.

Absolutely, as mentioned in an earlier post.

I seem to remember hearing it used on 'Coronation Street' long, long ago. That is set in the North-West, so it would be appropriate.

2 hours ago, mayalld said:

There may be some kind of clue in the term "human rights" that tells you about a dog's human rights!

I would agree that there is a subset of complete idiots who own dogs and conform to the stereotypes that you mention. You say most, but of course the point that you ignore here is that those that do conform to these stereotypes are noticeable for that very reason, so tend to be overreported.

For the record, my dogs stay on the lead at all times, are not permitted to "just be friendly" with random strangers, and are not taken into establishments where humans eat food.

Bearing in mind your general “demeanour” and doggy history on here, I have no problem believing you. But I remain confident that you are in the minority in terms of ensuring your dogs don’t inconvenience others.

2 hours ago, nicknorman said:

No what I was suggesting it that it might be the excitement of a new unfamiliar place with lots of strange people and novel smells that causes the dogs to “wet their knickers”. I doubt the dogs do that in their own homes (but I don’t know that of course).

Mod comment:  I've edited this post and can I remind the forum that personal attacks are not allowed.  Disagree with each other all you like but play nice.

Well this is odd, I’ve no idea what irked Dave_P. There was no personal attack.

20 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Bearing in mind your general “demeanour” and doggy history on here, I have no problem believing you. But I remain confident that you are in the minority in terms of ensuring your dogs don’t inconvenience others.

Nick,

I challenge you to find any reliable, independent, source that supports an allegation that more than half of all UK dog owners do not act responsibly in terms of keeping their animals under control, (to include things like picking up after them, and keeping them under proper control).

Of course based on how many dog owners there are in total, we inevitably see see lots of irresponsible ones, (or at least the end result of them not being responsible), but never in my wildest dreams could I convince myself that they are more of them than those who do do the right things.

If you genuinely believe what you are saying, rather than are just trying to stir, I'm glad I don't on the whole visit the same places as you do!

4 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Nick,

I challenge you to find any reliable, independent, source that supports an allegation that more than half of all UK dog owners do not act responsibly in terms of keeping their animals under control, (to include things like picking up after them, and keeping them under proper control).

Of course based on how many dog owners there are in total, we inevitably see see lots of irresponsible ones, (or at least the end result of them not being responsible), but never in my wildest dreams could I convince myself that they are more of them than those who do do the right things.

If you genuinely believe what you are saying, rather than are just trying to stir, I'm glad I don't on the whole visit the same places as you do!

Well either we live in different worlds or your views are coloured by your doggy love. I would say that most people with dogs are far better at talking about being responsible owners than they are in practice. In the majority? Well I can’t be certain but at best it’s a close run thing.

5 hours ago, Athy said:

No, on this occasion I have not. To skrike is a venerable word, of Northern origin I think, which means to cry. I assume that it is onomatopoeic. But thanks for the compliment anyway.

I’ve previously seen it written with a C - ‘scriking’ although ‘blarting’ is more common in my experience.