Marina Dog Ban

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

Not only dogs for egos, although dogs carried in hand bags seems to be on the increase, there are the aggressive dogs that some people breed and keep for sport and fighting.

Still it all adds to the joys of towpath walking. Friendly, or not so friendly, dogs; not so friendly geese or swans, dive bombing land gulls and rogue cyclists are all part of the challenge.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Midnight Rider said:

Don't see why not, if it's allowed by the owner/licensee. A lot of pub bars & the cafe at Fradley for example. But that's your choice.

Always strikes me when I go abroad to see doge in cafes and restaurants etc. They don't seam to have a problem with it like we do, just like all the pet owners don't seem to die who have doge in houses

5 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Always strikes me when I go abroad to see doge in cafes and restaurants etc. They don't seam to have a problem with it like we do, just like all the pet owners don't seem to die who have doge in houses

I dont mind dogs in cafes and pubs....but I do mind if they are not under control. Yes, I dont think dogs are too detrimental to health, and we never died owning them....but they need to be behaved in public places....and that goes for children as well!!!

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

34 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

I dont mind dogs in cafes and pubs....but I do mind if they are not under control. Yes, I dont think dogs are too detrimental to health, and we never died owning them....but they need to be behaved in public places....and that goes for children as well!!!

Who gets to decide how children should behave ?   Not so long ago (in my life time anyway) children were supposed to sit quietly and say yes sir, no sir when questioned, I do think that we have gone too far in allowing them to act up but maybe that's coz I'm an old fart now

4 hours ago, KevMc said:

Who gets to decide how children should behave ?   Not so long ago (in my life time anyway) children were supposed to sit quietly and say yes sir, no sir when questioned, I do think that we have gone too far in allowing them to act up but maybe that's coz I'm an old fart now

Well parented children know when to act up and when to sit quietly. Not many of them around these days, unfortunately! Mind you, dogs and children have major similarities - they are both indulgences of their owners.

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well parented children know when to act up and when to sit quietly. Not many of them around these days, unfortunately! Mind you, dogs and children have major similarities - they are both indulgences of their owners.

There you go again exaggerating......

Try 'some of them' are both indulgences of their owners and you might be closer to being correct.

Edited by MJG

6 hours ago, Heartland said:

Not only dogs for egos, although dogs carried in hand bags seems to be on the increase, there are the aggressive dogs that some people breed and keep for sport and fighting.

Still it all adds to the joys of towpath walking. Friendly, or not so friendly, dogs; not so friendly geese or swans, dive bombing land gulls and rogue cyclists are all part of the challenge.

I can honestly say I have never ever ever seen a dog being carried in a handbag, ever, other than on tv.

But then being born and residing in the North East I guess a whippet wouldn't fit in one.

Edited by MJG

11 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well no in this case I’d say they all are.

Then you'd be wrong, again.

If by indulging you mean they are allowed to get away with anything. My oldest daughter applies the same standard of expected behaviour to our grand daughter that we applied to her when she was the same age. Particularly when in public places like shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants. It therefore isn't hard for her to grasp she has to do the same when we are caring for her. I'm all for children expressing themselves but not when it becomes unruly, annoying and disruptive to others. This seems to be the philosophy at her nursery school too, which I see as a good thing.

Of course not all parents do but we are not the only ones.

Edited by MJG

50 minutes ago, MJG said:

If by indulging you mean they are allowed to get away with anything. My oldest daughter applies the same standard of expected behaviour to our grand daughter that we applied to her when she was the same age. Particularly when in public places like shops, pubs, cafes and restaurants. It therefore isn't hard for her to grasp she has to do the same when we are caring for her. I'm all for children expressing themselves but not when it becomes unruly, annoying and disruptive to others. This seems to be the philosophy at her nursery school too, which I see as a good thing.

No that isn’t what I meant.

Pets and children are an indulgence of their owners since neither are necessary. They are just something their owners want to have in the same way that I want to have my indulgences - gliders, aeroplanes, boats, gin and tonic etc. The difference is that my indulgences don’t impact on other people.

Edited by nicknorman

5 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Pets and children are an indulgence of their owners since neither are necessary. They are just something their owners want to have in the same way that I want to have my indulgences - gliders, aeroplanes, boats, gin and tonic etc. The difference is that my indulgences don’t impact on other people.

You do sometimes talk nonsense Nick, of course all of those 'impact' on others....

38 minutes ago, MJG said:

You do sometimes talk nonsense Nick, of course all of those 'impact' on others....

Yes you’re right. My gliders impact on other when I crash into them they see me soaring majestically and silently like an eagle over the Cairngorms. When they see my Europa whizzing around at high speed looking sexy. When they see our fantastic boat raising the tone of the local waterscape. When they benefit from my alcohol-augmented wit and repartee. Impact has good and bad attributes. A bit like quarks.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MJG said:

I would say your daughter, just like my son and his children, are the majority, but unfortunately the noisy minority get noticed.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Yes you’re right. My gliders impact on other when I crash into them they see me soaring majestically and silently like an eagle over the Cairngorms. When they see my Europa whizzing around at high speed looking sexy. When they see our fantastic boat raising the tone of the local waterscape. When they benefit from my alcohol-augmented wit and repartee. Impact has good and bad attributes. A bit like quarks.

Do quarks have good and bad attributes? Apart from their silly name of course but that's just Murray Gell-Mann's strange humour.

7 hours ago, MJG said:

Cue a 'reaction' from Rasputin...

As a newby still trying to figure out the nuances of this forum - I've noticed the reaction option. Is this something to be noted by some and tracked?

Puzzled and wondering - should I be careful about using it?

33 minutes ago, Chipmunk said:

As a newby still trying to figure out the nuances of this forum - I've noticed the reaction option. Is this something to be noted by some and tracked?

Puzzled and wondering - should I be careful about using it?

Nahh... Use as you see fit :)

(That’s not what Martin meant, anyhow)

I have indulged in having 2 dogs...

They do not jump up on strangers (but love to sit on or next to those they are familiar with) but are a bit excitable in new places so may yap to display their exuberance (which is why I tend to sit outside of those establishments that welcome dogs) and only as puppies in training have disgraced themselves by leaving any sort of calling card on floors / carpets etc. (and yes, when out I pick up after them - then dispose of the bags in a bin, not hang them on trees / bushes for others to admire)

An intereresting concept - children being an indulgence of their owners - if not for that indulgence I, for one. wouldn't be making any comments on this forum or anywhere else  -but then no-one else would either :lol:

• Greenie 1

11 hours ago, nicknorman said:

I think you will find that children are necessary, unfortunately without them the human race would be extinct within one generation.