Marina Dog Ban

nbfiresprite

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Nick,

I challenge you to find any reliable, independent, source that supports an allegation that more than half of all UK dog owners do not act responsibly in terms of keeping their animals under control, (to include things like picking up after them, and keeping them under proper control).

I think the problem here is what 'inconveniencing others' means to a dog owner and a non dog owner. I would agree with Nick it is a problem and that a big proportion of dog owners do not know what is an 'inconvenience'. We've been dog owners for 30 years but not for the last 15years as sailing took over. For the past 3 years I have regularly (5 days per week) been to our local nature reserve taking photos of birds (big lens, monopod - like the footy photographers). I walk around for 3 hours or so and get sick of dogs bounding up to me (not on leads) and plastering my legs with muddy paws. "Oh, fido is just playing..." says the owner. Rubbish! My trousers are now plastered in mud. The local dogs have learnt - as they get a smart smack in the face with my monopod - so now dont come near, but my wife spends a lot of time fending these dogs off. I would estimate over half the dogs do this and their owners do not think it a problem.

Why should a dog be allowed to jump up and dirty my trousers? Having owned dogs for most of our lives, I am sympathetic with current owners but times have changed.

Ok, only a very small sample of UK dogs but typical of so many places. Maybe we should follow the Singapore model, no dogs off leads in public places!!!!

• Greenie 4

6 minutes ago, peter n said:

People often say this, asserting that they cover it in a litter tray. My experience is that their preference is to just use other people's gardens, no burial required.

My neighbours cat covers up it's sh1t in my garden.

:)

https://www.livescience.com/33147-why-do-cats-bury-their-poop.html

5 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

Biggest myth going.  I often find cat cat shit in my borders and it is a lot less pleasant the dog poo to pick up and dispose of.

George

https://www.livescience.com/33147-why-do-cats-bury-their-poop.html

Edited by Laurie.Booth

38 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Why should a dog be allowed to jump up and dirty my trousers? Having owned dogs for most of our lives, I am sympathetic with current owners but times have changed.

Ok, only a very small sample of UK dogs but typical of so many places. Maybe we should follow the Singapore model, no dogs off leads in public places!!!!

It is very possible to train a dog so it never jumps up and puts its paws on anybody.

Our original dog was trained never to do this from puppyhood.  THe one we inheited from my late mother-in-law at around 5 yeras old was not initially so reliable, but now absolutely jumps up nobody.

I accept many people don't bother, and like you, I get hacked off when I'm out (maybe dog walking!) and end up with mud up my trousers.

(The one thing that confuses me about your post though is that your profile picture suggests you are a dog!)

10 hours ago, Rob-M said:

I now have a selection of cat movement alarms in our garden to try and keep the cats out as they certainly don't worry about leaving exposed crap all over the grass and borders.

Maybe the alarms are scaring the sh1t out of them! 

:giggles:

9 hours ago, Midnight Rider said:

Don't see why not, if it's allowed by the owner/licensee. A lot of pub bars & the cafe at Fradley for example. But that's your choice.

Pretty simple really.

Whilst I am a dog owner, I don't believe that having assorted pooches wandering around is conducive to maintaining an adequate standard of hygiene for serving food to the general public.

As I try to avoid eating in establishments that admit dogs, it would be hypocritical of me to take my own into an eatery.

On 12/11/2017 at 20:09, NB Lola said:

Yup, let’s punish the many for the inconsiderate mis-deeds of the few.

Isn't that why the public are not allowed to carry guns and knives, buy high %age hydrogen peroxide or take certain items on aeroplanes? 

• Greenie 1

13 hours ago, cereal tiller said:

Dinsdale?Python

You're thinking of the giant hedgehog Spiny Norman who was after Dinsdale Piranha (one of the infamous Piranha Brothers) from the 1970's current affairs programme Ethel the Frog ;)

On the dog subject, there's a growing number of dog owners these days who own dogs for entirely the wrong reasons and see them as accessories to their projected lifestyle image. I have witnessed this over several years of taking my daughter to school, and noted the increase of toy ownership (Pugs, French Bulldogs, Shi Tzu, Pommerainian +any popular super expensive cross-breed).
The favoured M.O. is to drop the kids at school (usually via car) then take the pooch to the nearby rec by the playground and stand gossiping with similar parents whilst the dogs run around the field unchecked doing exactly as they please. Then they wonder why the kids cannot run round the field after school without stepping in a hidden dog egg.

Edited by Hudds Lad