Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Naughty Cal

Any Thoughts

Featured Posts

We have the option to buy a Mini One D 1.4 for a very reasonable price. Unfortunately in bright yellow but we have some thoughts on how to tone that down  a bit!

Has anyone got any thoughts on these cars? We know bugger all about them.

Is the diesel engine any good? Has it got any inherent faults?

Is the car any good?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated before we make our desicion next week.

Jeff has got a 2008 Mini Cooper (petrol). It is a fun car to drive and he loves it. The thing with minis -and BMWs - is that the base spec is pretty plain and there is a lot of variation from car to car depending on the options.

ive had to replace a door lock actuator, seems a common fault. And it had the electronic steering lock actuator replaced not long after we got it, under the warranty (it was one of those “approved” used cars from a mini dealer).

Overall a perfectly competent and quirky (in a good way) car. No idea about the Diesel engine though.

It is pretty well specced up and the trim is nice enough. It's got two previous owners and about 100k on the clock.

It is ready for a cam belt and a service. And we will need to get some wheels for it because the wheels that are on it are hideous!

Rumour has it that there will be a new tax applied to diesel engined cars - to be announced in the budget.

Your re-sale value will probably be 'decimated' if the forecasts are correct.

(Following years of Government encouragement, we have a Diesel Mercedes M-Class, probably now worth 'scrap-money' only)

1 hour ago, Naughty Cal said:

We have the option to buy a Mini One D 1.4 for a very reasonable price. Unfortunately in bright yellow but we have some thoughts on how to tone that down  a bit!

Has anyone got any thoughts on these cars? We know bugger all about them.

Is the diesel engine any good? Has it got any inherent faults?

Is the car any good?

Any thoughts greatly appreciated before we make our desicion next week.

I luv yellow cars but detest diesel engine cars with a passion. A friend of mine though uses the mini diesel as driving school cars so they must be quite reliable as down time costs money.

10 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

For the price we have been offered the car resale value won't be an issue. 

Even ignoring resale, I would not be surprised to see the annual duty on them increase, or some other financial penalty.

In extreme there is talk of banning them from some city centres.

I drive a now nearly 14 year old Volvo diesel estate, a former company car of mine, chosen because I knew redundancy was not going to be long behind me getting it, and I would be offered a near new car at a knock down price.

I did not realise that the world would turn against them, but with hindsight I wish I had never gone diesel.

(For a start I got it at about the time diesel started to be priced more or less consistently more than petrol.  There has been short periods where they equalise, but at others as much as a 6 or 7 pence price differential between the two.  I can easily see DERV starting to be taxed higher than petrol, at some future date).

8 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I luv yellow cars but detest diesel engine cars with a passion. A friend of mine though uses the mini diesel as driving school cars so they must be quite reliable as down time costs money.

It isn't something we would have normally considered but my Datsun has started acting the goat.  So with winter coming and the Sierra not being a great winter car we have decided we probably need a second run around. 

This has cropped up at the right price (£600) and the right time. 

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Even ignoring resale, I would not be surprised to see the annual duty on them increase, or some other financial penalty.

In extreme there is talk of banning them from some city centres.

I drive a now nearly 14 year old Volvo diesel estate, a former company car of mine, chosen because I knew redundancy was not going to be long behind me getting it, and I would be offered a near new car at a knock down price.

I did not realise that the world would turn against them, but with hindsight I wish I had never gone diesel.

(For a start I got it at about the time diesel started to be priced more or less consistently more than petrol.  There has been short periods where they equalise, but at others as much as a 6 or 7 pence price differential between the two.  I can easily see DERV starting to be taxed higher than petrol, at some future date).

We were checking tax brackets and insurance costs. The tax on the Mini is almost half the price of the Datsun.

I do agree though that hikes in that price are likely. 

I think the best answer to your question maybe comes from the £600 price you have quoted.  What do the used car guide price sites say?  I think I'd be heavily influenced by the answer to that.

(It's legit is it? Not a "cut and shut"!)

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Unfortunately in bright yellow but we have some thoughts on how to tone that down  a bit!

Park in the middle of Sheffield

Get paint stripper thrown on it

Claim on the insurance

Re-Spray

Simples !!!

7 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I think the best answer to your question maybe comes from the £600 price you have quoted.  What do the used car guide price sites say?  I think I'd be heavily influenced by the answer to that.

(It's legit is it? Not a "cut and shut"!)

It's legit. It is one of the garage where Liam works loan cars. They have just bought another so this one is going spare.

At 600 quid theres not a lot to lose, not even 600 quid as it will be worth 200 as a non runner!! Buy it and try it or you could join the millions of others that fork out 200 pounds plus every month for a car year in year out on pcp or whatever they call it that they will never own!! lets face it if you get six months out of it its for nowt.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Claim on the insurance

Re-Spray

Simples !!!

We were thinking more along the lines of painting the roof black.

Like your thinking though :D

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

At 600 quid theres not a lot to lose, not even 600 quid as it will be worth 200 as a non runner!! Buy it and try it or you could join the millions of others that fork out 200 pounds plus every month for a car year in year out on pcp or whatever they call it that they will never own!! lets face it if you get six months out of it its for nowt.

That's kind of our thoughts.

I'm a simple man. I wouldn't buy a mini because they are not minis. For the same reason I wouldn't buy an X whatever from BMW.

However, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't dish out £600 for the car you mention. Using up to date terminology, it's a no brainier! But I wouldnt for the reasons above.

Martyn.

• Greenie 1

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Claim on the insurance

Re-Spray

Simples !!!

Or vinyl wrap in the finish of your choice.

The early Mini diesel used a Toyota Yaris engine, so should be reliable.

Review by Honest John here.

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/mini/one-d-r50-2003/

Edited by cuthound

1 minute ago, Nightwatch said:

I'm a simple man. I wouldn't buy a mini because they are not minis. For the same reason I wouldn't buy an X whatever from BMW.

Don't mention the war (I think I got away with it)

What's wrong with yellow?

I always wanted my original Fiat 500 to be painted yellow but just before we painted it a boy racer in the street got a bright yellow Fiat 126 and I didn't want to appear to be copying him so painted it orange instead. 

When, many moons ago I bought my bright yellow Skoda it was a dream come true, to find a nice practical car in a daft colour - such a girl! It is great, I can find it in any car park and very, very rarely have anyone pull out on me - I suspect the "didn't see you mate" comment would be hard to make stand up in court if I did ever have an accident! 

55 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Chequered roof and go faster bonnet stripes?

$_86.JPG

Sort of what we were thinking. Black roof, black bonnet stripes and black alloys.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

Chequered roof and go faster bonnet stripes?

$_86.JPG

I wouldn't call that

3 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

....bright yellow....

More, sort of 'sour custard' - this is more like a bright yellow mini

0a7c7cd73b9ba9a53d12608c7f3ade9e.jpg

• Haha 2

From garage terms bits are expensive for them, and brake pipes go rusty faster than similar cars. As it is an early mini at least its an honest polluter, unlike the modern diesels which claim to be clean yet put on real tests arnt much better than older diesels, so for me I would give it a whirl at that money

On 12/11/2017 at 07:47, Naughty Cal said:

We have the option to buy a Mini One D 1.4 for a very reasonable price.

If you were planning to buy a Mini One D anyway then go for it. You can always wear sunglasses. 

If not, then the only reason to buy it would be to flog it again at a profit. But bear in mind it is probably cheap because it is bright yellow and particularly hard to sell. So probably not the bargain it first appears.

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

From garage terms bits are expensive for them, and brake pipes go rusty faster than similar cars. As it is an early mini at least its an honest polluter, unlike the modern diesels which claim to be clean yet put on real tests arnt much better than older diesels, so for me I would give it a whirl at that money

Liam is checking out the parts prices today and the cost to get the cam belt done.

34 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

If you were planning to buy a Mini One D anyway then go for it. You can always wear sunglasses. 

If not, then the only reason to buy it would be to flog it again at a profit. But bear in mind it is probably cheap because it is bright yellow and particularly hard to sell. So probably not the bargain it first appears.

We were not looking for anything in particular just a cheap run around whilst my car is playing up. 

We don't have a habit of buying and selling cars to make a profit. Ours tend to be long termers. Liam has had his 17 years and we have had the Datsun for 12 years. 

We know that the Mini needs a bit spending on it but we will have that with any car that we buy!

Only issue I can think of.

ISTR early Minis had issues with the Xeon headlights caused because the lights were incorporated into the bonnet and they didn't respond well to the impact of the frequent shutting of the bonnet. They changed the design some time into the production run to swap the lights from the bonnet to the body.

(If it isn't a very early one or it doesn't have Xenon lights you can ignore all the above).

But at £600 I would say it's a no brainer really, just buy it and run it till something very expensive goes pop. I understand the worries about diesel (I run a diesel SUV) but I am not sure the/any changes will be as bad as some are predicting as to penalise people unduly after years of govt. encouragement to buy the things is not going to be a great vote winner. Of course I could be wrong on that.

We are pretty sure we will buy it. Liams boss is away today so Liam is planning to try and strike a deal with him tomorrow.

There are several for sale with around 200k on the clock so the engine should be good for a fair few miles yet. In theory anyway!