Huddersfield Narows

Kendorr

Featured Posts

Just thinking about a trip next Easter and fancy going over the Huddersfield from east to west. I last went over west to east 2 years ago. I've checked winter closures, and all appears to be okay.

Has anybody been over recently and could give any update to problems encountered?

I'm hoping to get from Huddersfield to Slaithwaite in 1 day, then up to Marsden the next, then expecting 3 days to get through Standedge and down to the Peak Forrest.

Easter is early, so expecting to try this during the last week of March 2018.

Thanks folks

Kevin

Your problem, as you mention the Peak Forest, may not be anything on the HNC, but the Marple Locks closure, which as yet has not shown any sign of even planning to be fixed - it's the reason I haven't been over the HNC this year.   I've once done the HNC very early in the year as you plan (I was the second boat over that year), and things do seem to seize up a bit through disuse over the winter, together with some silting up between locks 14E and 15E, which I had to haul the boat over, but that may be fixed now, as the area was dredged last year. 

As you've already been over the HNC relatively recently, you'll know what to expect, and that problems tend to appear at random, but are (fairly) quickly fixed.

We travelled from west to east a few weeks ago. Lock 31E (I think!) was operating on a 'phone for assistance' basis due to the ground having collapsed under the offside bottom gate. I think it was being fixed very shortly afterwards though. Nothing else out of the ordinary springs to mind - as HNC virgins, we obviously noticed the shallow sides and the outrageously low bridges in Slaithwaite, but I think that's all par for the course. 

14 hours ago, magictime said:

We travelled from west to east a few weeks ago. Lock 31E (I think!) was operating on a 'phone for assistance' basis due to the ground having collapsed under the offside bottom gate. I think it was being fixed very shortly afterwards though. Nothing else out of the ordinary springs to mind - as HNC virgins, we obviously noticed the shallow sides and the outrageously low bridges in Slaithwaite, but I think that's all par for the course. 

ill take a guess at 30E ;)

a lot of the stoppages seem to be Feb to March and gate replacements, I'd keep an eye on those in case they run on.