Wanted box mast looby

Tuscan

Featured Posts

Looby is not the correct term but slang. All drawings refer in the main to a "Towing pin" or in one case a "Lube (the e having a accent)". These were found on a lot of craft apart from narrow boats so a hunt of old chandelery suppliers may turn up one. My Boatmans Cabin operation of years ago cast them in SG iron, whether any are still about I don't know.

15 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

Looby is not the correct term but slang.

Which begs the question, what is the correct name for certain parts of a narrow boat?

What boatmen actually called them, or what somebody decided to call them on a drawing?

18 hours ago, Tuscan said:

If by chance anyone knows of a mast head looby looking for a good home , I’m looking .

Should you not find one, and assuming you can borrow one,  PM me a dimensioned sketch and I will happily turn one up from mild steel.

N

52 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Which begs the question, what is the correct name for certain parts of a narrow boat?

Using the drawings of Yarwoods, the following are noted:

Pigeon box = skylight / engine room ventilator

Counter plate = stern wrapper

Stove chimney = portable stove pipe

Engine room sides = casing

Mast = mast & box

Bottom casting of stempost = shoe

Cabin mounted t stud = portable towing stud

Uxter plate = Uxter plate!!

Drain = watercourse

There are of course many more, the terms no doubt were common to the dock workers whereas "we" gave things alternative names, but walk into a chandlery and ask for a "looby" you may well confuse the shipbuilding supplier!

Cheers,

LH

On 27/03/2015 at 22:56, Laurence Hogg said: 

The term Looby, luby or lube is a myth. No where on any drawings existing is the term used, just "towing pin" or similar, the mast referred to as "mast & case"..

I agree with Tony Dunkleys reply below , to your previous response, mast head pin works for me to 

It isn't a 'myth', it's a canal boatman's name, or term, for that particular part of what they called a 'top mast', which fitted inside the 'box mast'. A great many parts, fittings and items of gear used on narrow boats were referred to by names you would never see on any Yard Drawings or Chandlers lists . . . . here are a few more . . . . deck lid, uprights, stretchers, knee strings, ring holes, backend, top tank, fat cup, doorholes, backdoor, hatches, ramshead, tipcat, ellum pole, snatcher, snubber, rims, tippets, slide, tunnel hook, blade, guard(s), shoeing, speedwheel, plaits, swansneck, kicking strap, . . . . not 'myths', just terms used by the people who had a far longer and closer association with narrowboats than those who built them.

4 hours ago, BEngo said:

Should you not find one, and assuming you can borrow one,  PM me a dimensioned sketch and I will happily turn one up from mild steel.

N

Good luck with turning up a luby pin, I'd stick with plan a and ring Simon on Monday. There certainly were some, they may have all gone by now until the next batch of castings

I have a very old one im putting back together but your more than happy to borrow mine to make a copy from it my current one is going on loan to the guys of swallow, but havent spoken to them for a bit.

20171021_101529.jpg

Edited by billybobbooth

It might just be worth you getting in contact with current owner of Atalanta on the southern Oxford. When I re built her I left the mast in place and dropped the whole top section into the mast box. The new top plank and sheets cover the whole lot over.

i don't recall seeing the mast up since , passed her 4 weeks ago, the front of the conversion has been modified and the mast may have been removed.

Given the current conversion there is no need for the mast top section.

course this was in 1996 and boat has changed hands several times since. But it's an original I stashed away for posterity, though of course in someone else's hands now

• 7 months later...
On 12/11/2017 at 09:01, billybobbooth said:

I have a very old one im putting back together but your more than happy to borrow mine to make a copy from it my current one is going on loan to the guys of swallow, but havent spoken to them for a bit.

20171021_101529.jpg

I've now got my wooden centre built but on my old irons ive got 2 holes that are bigger than the others (bottom and second from bottom)

am I missing something but surely if I put a bolt threw it won't fit in my mast box or is the bottom of my irons missing? or so you put a bar threw and rivet the 2 ends?

i know how the top goes together i have a shaped metal bar / spring and a central bar and the 2 bars at the top that you flatten the ends.

Edited by billybobbooth

On 10/11/2017 at 21:36, stagedamager said:

speak to Simon Wain at Brinklow, they had some looby pegs for sale a couple of years ago.

Dan

Yes, I did get a batch cast some time ago and I think that we still have some in stock. I will check tomorrow and let you know

1 hour ago, Steve Priest said:

Yes, I did get a batch cast some time ago and I think that we still have some in stock. I will check tomorrow and let you know

Steve, I could do with another one if you can hold one for me. And it's another excuse to come down for a coffee!

Regards

Dan

ah this would sort of make sence to me! i assume i put s bar threw and hammer the ends?

i did look my one fitted to the boat but thats a new one thats been welded rather than snapped but the have drilled holes down the middle like my old one but then put 4 screw holes round each hole and screwed it on! so it was no help!

If your Brinklow request is a no try Pete at Charity dock  as there was a large pile the last time i was in there mind it was a while back but not an every day request I would have thought