Winterizing

jddevel

Featured Posts

Hi,

Depends where you calorifier is, but I have a hose attached permanently to the lowest drain off point which runs to the stern bilge ( the one under the stern gland). When I need to drain the calorifier the water runs into the stern bilge and I pump it out with the bilge pump.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh and talking of " winterising the boat " been on three days of fabulous weather crusing this week, way better than most of the summer was. Just a few seasoned boaters around and its been fab.

I use mine all through the year but I don't live onboard so have to do something for when we are not there. It probably takes me half an hour when leaving the boat and 5 minutes when returning as the system fills while I am doing other things

6 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I use mine all through the year but I don't live onboard so have to do something for when we are not there. It probably takes me half an hour when leaving the boat and 5 minutes when returning as the system fills while I am doing other things

Yeah, makes sense. The weakest link is usualy the Gas instant water heater if fitted. Don't ask me how I know this.

11 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yeah, makes sense. The weakest link is usualy the Gas instant water heater if fitted. Don't ask me how I know this.

I'm thinking of making a tea cosy for my Morco. Not the Morco itself, just the flue.  It is justing asking to freeze when it has this open flue out of the boat. I could stuff something down it but I need to 1.)  remember to remove it before lighting up, 2.)  avoid getting any dust or grime down onto the jets.

13 minutes ago, NB Lola said:

Never drained the calorifier in last 9 years.  I just Close fresh water tank valve, open taps drain and then turn water pump off. Job done

My problem is being a considerable distance from the home mooring although the calorifier is insulated if we suffer a really hard and prolonged freeze I`m concerned that knowing my luck I`ll have a problem!!!

18 minutes ago, jddevel said:

My problem is being a considerable distance from the home mooring although the calorifier is insulated if we suffer a really hard and prolonged freeze I`m concerned that knowing my luck I`ll have a problem!!!

Like Lola I have not drained my calorifier for 10 years or more but the boat is in the Napton area. I take the shower mixer off, shake it out and cap the connections so we can still use the water system for winter days/cruises. Pump all the water form the tank using the ordinary water pump until air spurts from each tap. Close taps press on the toilet valve until air spurts out, turn off pump and open all taps and that's it. There should then be an air bubble inside the calorifier to allow for expansion if it manages to freeze. The plastic plumbing is far more frost resistant than copper and most of it is below the water line so some heat from the unfrozen water can get into the boat. I don't bother to close the main water shut off because its at the same level as the pump but do open and close it to keep it moving.

So far so good even during the winter the boat was frozen absolutely solid into the ice so it would not move hen I got onto it and tried to rock it but I do accept one winter I many not be lucky. I even leave all the window hoppers open apart from those above soft furnishings in an attempt to minimise condensation.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

Ahh and talking of " winterising the boat " been on three days of fabulous weather crusing this week, way better than most of the summer was. Just a few seasoned boaters around and its been fab.

That's why I winterise my boat using heaters and blocking the vents.

Takes me less than 10 minutes on a sunny winters day to de-winterise, undo the lines and be cruising. :)

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

That's why I winterise my boat using heaters and blocking the vents.

Takes me less than 10 minutes on a sunny winters day to de-winterise, undo the lines and be cruising. :)

Ahh you must cheat the? have you got an umbilicle?

I use a standard water pump. I also have some extra valves and lengths of hose so that I can use the same pump to remove water (well most of it) from the bilges, keeping them perfectly dry. 

Diagram here, and some photos:

Boat_instructions_v3.11a.pdf

Edited by Scholar Gypsy

Another vote for a drill pump, they're only a fiver for the cheap ones. Don't let them run dry though, even for a short time. Easy to connect to offcuts of standard poly hosepipe with hozelock fittings. 

Also useful for sampling a few liters of fuel from the bottom of the tank. 

I’m obviously doing it wrong...

close tank stop tap.

turn off pump open all taps then shower mixer

in deepest winter open drain valve in lowest cold water plumbing and drain into container. Close drain valve

leave 500w heater on minimum setting and plug into time clock set for 1 hour  4 times a day. 

Don’t drain tank but don’t leave full

dont drain cauliflower 

leave stove ready for lighting 

check credit on leccy meter 

Works down to minus 12 so far 

fully working in minutes when we want to use Boat 

9 hours ago, jonathanA said:

close tank stop tap.

turn off pump

open all taps then shower mixer

run pump until water stops flowing 

turn off pump

in deepest winter open drain valve in lowest cold water plumbing and drain into container. Close drain valve

leave 500w heater on minimum setting and plug into time clock set for 1 hour  4 times a day. 

dont drain cauliflower 

Suggested small amendment in bold which may improve the effectiveness your routine.

10 hours ago, jonathanA said:

close tank stop tap.

turn off pump open all taps then shower mixer

dont drain cauliflower 

How do you power the heater for four hours per day? Are you cheating on an umbilicle? Most people get it wrong anyway they should winterise the house as we did for years and live on the boat it makes much more sense.

23 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Totally agree. We are on our way from Debdale Wharf to Droitwich  Canal Basin (or Marina to the owners).  Moored at the top of Tardebigge this evening.  What a day!  Left Gas Street Basin this morning.

N

22 hours ago, NB Lola said:

Never drained the calorifier in last 9 years.  I just Close fresh water tank valve, open taps drain and then turn water pump off. Job done.

Ditto. In all respects but for slightly longer (11 years).  I don't have a PRV though how the system survived before I bought Theodora I don't know as it didn't even have an accumulator.  I fitted on and assumed that it would take care of the expansion, which it certainly appears to.

N

2 minutes ago, Theo said:

We are on our way from Debdale Wharf to Droitwich  Canal Basin (or Marina to the owners).  

Not sure what you're trying to say there.  Droitwich Spa Marina is a purpose built marina, so the owners (who also commissioned and oversaw the build on their dairy farm) wouldn't seem to be being pretentious to call it that.  There is also a canal basin in Droitwich itself (known as Netherwich Basin, but I wonder how many people know that) so one being known as a marina and the other a basin is probably a good thing. 

A busy day lies ahead tomorrow if you're going all the way in the current short daylight hours. If you're stopping, the Queen's at the bottom of Tardebigge does good upmarket food and gets quite busy, so it might be worth booking a table if you intend to eat there. Their bar has good ale too though, and a couple of beers might mean your less bothered by the sometimes noisy kennels nearby.  If you push on and don't quite make it through the Hanbury 3 down to marina, the Eagle and Sun at Hanbury Wharf does decent food and a pretty good carvery. You can just drink there and they have a good bar, but it is more of a restaurant than pub. Between the two is the Railway, but last time I was there a year or so ago the food wasn't very good and neither was the ale, so I've passed it by ever since. Have a good final leg! :)

Thanks for that.  My comment about Basins v. Marinas was intended to be somewhat light hearted.  "Marina" has a nautical feel to it and I feel a long way from the sea here.  They also have a "lots of white GRP" image and this, again is far from what is happening at Droitwich.  I am sure that we will have a good time there.  Everyone that we met was very friendly and the facilities look excellent.

While we were living aboard we visited the Queen's and thoroughly enjoyed the food.  We might well call in there.  All we are intending to do is the flight.  We had a nice relaxed day today after the long day from Catherine de Barnes to Gas Street yesterday.  We called in at the Eagle and Sun and some point too.  Thanks for reminding me.

Nick