mooring up

Bromleyxphil

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

You moor on the towpath side, which is usually only one one side of the canal. However the towpath generally swaps sides throughout the length of the canal.

and if you turn round and come back they are all on the other side

Sorry not explained very well, i do know its the towpath side I am still fine tuning the design and wondered if you ended up mooring more on one side of the boat than the other...of the boat.:)

I do like the humor though.

phil

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The important thing is to remember which side you're moored on if you get off the boat in the dark.  I've had a few close calls.......

A good practical joke is to give a boats occupants a few drinks (so the sleep well) and then turn their boat round overnight (needs a wide canal or river) and then watch the confusion in the morning.

done it and had it done to me a few times, only once did the boat head off in the wrong direction in the morning.

Ahhh, but a joke that those onboard do not always appreciate. Moored at Ranworth Staithe, I wanted to obtain lubrication in the hostelry but the rest of the crew were being anti- social. We had hired a dingy this time so I very gently let go of the ropes and towed the boat out into the middle of the Broad, Slipped the mud weight in and went to the pub. As I landed I could hear a voice wailing that the TV ariel needed moving!

I was not very popular for a few days!

12 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

The important thing is to remember which side you're moored on if you get off the boat in the dark.  I've had a few close calls.......

That's after a certain " check " having been made at a local hostelerie I suppose? :D

13 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I have seen a boat with no windows or port holes on one side as that was they normally moored on their home towpath moorings to stop passerby's looking in. 

The mind boggles at what they were doing onboard that required it to be hidden from public view beyond the privacy of curtains?

Unless of course their last name was Denton, they bred toads and had a "nude day" :D

48 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

The mind boggles at what they were doing onboard that required it to be hidden from public view beyond the privacy of curtains?

Unless of course their last name was Denton, they bred toads and had a "nude day" :D

I know lots of boaters that as soon as they moor up they draw the towpath side curtains, me I can't be bothered 

21 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know lots of boaters that as soon as they moor up they draw the towpath side curtains, me I can't be bothered 

we draw ours if nipping out without the dog, stops her going mental trying to protect the boat from interlopers, she's now stone deaf so only responds if she can see them, otherwise only close if its getting dark.

4 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Reminds me of the time we passed a badly moored boat on the Wey in the middle of the day. I can't remember if the curtains were closed, but as we passed first the stern drifted out into the channel, dragging the mooring pin on the end of the stern rope, and then the bow did the same. Very shortly afterwards HE emerged from the stern doors pulling on his clothes while SHE emerged from the front doors wearing little more than a bathrobe...

19 hours ago, cuthound said:

No, I'd say it is 50/50, but if you really wanted to, you could always keep cruising until the towpath is on the side you want and then moor up.

Bit awkward on the Coventry Canal where the towpath is 98% on one side 

9 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Bit awkward on the Coventry Canal where the towpath is 98% on one side 

Most people go both ways

Edit to say

Forget that, I thought you meant down into Coventry, not the full length

Edited by ditchcrawler

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I send the dogs out first. Strangely, they do seem to know which side, seriously. Perhaps its smell.

On the other hand my old dog Tommy always used to leap off the side that was against the bank when we were last moored up so he got wet around 50% of the time.