Wharf Kingston On Soar

Richard T

Featured Posts

Whilst browsing the NLS maps site I came across a wharf at Kingston on Soar which I had not realised existed. It was served by the mineral railway which connected Kegworth station goods yard and Kingston gypsum. The wharf can be seen on this extract from the NLS maps. The link is http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=52.8456&lon=-1.2686&layers=168&right=BingHyb

I can remember and have the attached photographs of the line in use with an 0-4-0 Pecket saddle tank loco. These were taken circa 1965. The wharf would not have been in use then. I have been unable to find any references to this wharf. Can anyone help? Its remains were destroyed when flood prevention work was carried out some years ago and a flood bank built, the Kingston Brook discharges through a head wall with gates to prevent the Soar in flood passing through them.

kingston wharf.jpg

Lady Angela1.jpg

Edited by Richard T

• 3 weeks later...

Richard,

From my facebook page about the New Kingston to Kegworth gypsum mineral railway...

Also known as Lady Angela's Railway or Lord Belpers Railway.
 The disused/closed Kingston On Soar Gypsum mine railway which ran from the mine at New Kingston Nottinghamshire to Kegworth station. The line closed in 1971.

A tramway was built in 1883, which ran down to the Midland main line at Kegworth station and a wharf on the River Soar. From there the gypsum was taken by boat to Timms Mill (Marple) and Goodacre’s Mill at Zouch and Barrow on Soar for grinding. The wharf was in use until c. 1913.
The tramway was worked by horses until a locomotive was acquired in 1885.
Locos (all 040STs bar the Ruston) were used from 1893.
Lady Margaret - Falcon 81 acquired 1893, later sold
Marguerite/Black Prince - either Hunslet 15 or Henry Hughes, acquired 1911, sold 1925
Lady Angela - Peckett 1690 acquired 1926, now preserved
Bagnall 1575/1899 acqured later, scrap 1963
Ruston 0-4-0DH 418793/1957 acquired 1963, to Hawton Gypsum Works 1971.
By 1970 it was decided to close the mineral railway and use road transport instead. In 1971 the track was lifted and the engines sold. 
There were 2 railway engines on this line originally. Lady Margaret and Lady Angela. They were housed in an engine house off Kegworth Road, on the way to Ratcliffe -on-Soar. The line crossed Kegworth Road, underneath the main line Railway. It then proceeded behind Kingston on Soar, eventually crossing Gotham Road. Just prior to crossing the road there was a double track with points etc. the track then headed towards New Kingston. The line then crossed West Leake Lane on a bend in the Lane just after a row of then, council houses. The trains ran twice daily. After crossing Kegworth Road, the fully loaded wagons would swing left, passing the engine sheds and then across Kingston Lane, and on to the sidings at Kegworth Station. In the earlier times of Gypsum mining the wagons would be unloaded down a large wooden chute complex directly into waiting canal boats on the river Soar.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/941837552511721/?multi_permalinks=1858476624181138&notif_id=1512064144839442&notif_t=group_activity

Edited by Lord Belper
ce

• 2 weeks later...