Can't cruise as they've closed a lock!

Boisdevie

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, David Mack said:

It's not " no option" though, it's just bl**dy awkward. I have reversed boats a mile or more to wind. A boat longer than the normal channel width but less than full length can usually find somewhere to wind without needing a full winding hole. And towing from the bank can be easier than steering in reverse on some boats. It just depends on how much you want to make it happen.

I can't reverse straight for more than 5' ....a mile or more!....that is some skill. Give me 10yrs and I may try it :D

On 12/11/2017 at 17:10, The Grumpy Triker said:

I can't reverse straight for more than 5' ....a mile or more!....that is some skill. Give me 10yrs and I may try it :D

It's nothing to do with experience and skill, and all to do with luck and who's watching.

The other day for example, I reversed back to the water point, 300m past about six boats and through the bridge 'ole, in one go without stopping. very pleased with myself but the reason I could do this, is I was lucky that no-one was watching.   

• Happy 1

On 07/11/2017 at 20:17, Boisdevie said:

Set off from Appleby Bridge this morning towards the Rufford branch of the Leeds Liverpool only to find the lock is closed for 5 weeks for repair. So I can't continuously cruise in the direction I wanted and going the other way is the wrong way and will cost me time and money. I'm hoping to stay put until the lock reopens. I've emailed the C&RT for advice. Wonder if they'll hassle me to continue moving?

You have not said what you were going to do so just in case you have gone on the Bridgewater Canal have a look at the CWF stoppage page for information about a stoppage next week at Castlefield basin.

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, Aguila said:

Appley deep lock is open to navigation again. All four gates have been replaced.

Not a 'cuff' lock in sight - big mistake ? 

Its hard to say. We've spent a fair bit of time there and its quite a popular destination for various locals to walk to. They sit on the bench for a while then walk home again. A lot of cyclists and walkers go past and stop for a while, and a few lads sometimes spend the evening there for a bit of fishing and smoking. None of these have felt like bad people looking for trouble, but it only takes one to do a lot of damage. Its a deep lock and a longish pound so there is a lot of water to be mis-directed.

.............Dave

On 08/11/2017 at 08:14, Naughty Cal said:

Ignorance is not really an excuse though.

CRT publish their list of planned stoppages every year. It is up to you to work your cruising around them.

Sorry it isn't the answer you were looking for

But it's your answer not 'THE' answer as there is no answer other than what is 'reasonable in the circumstances' that operates on a case by case basis.

He don't have to make an excuse he's going along whoops oh dear the canals closed, get over it.

Edited by Jenwil

On 08/11/2017 at 10:17, Boisdevie said:

Yes, of course I can cruise in the opposite direction back the way I came. But that's not the direction I want to go and every mile the wrong way in effect takes me two miles the wrong way. This costs me my time and fuel. Now yes, my ignorance is no excluse and I've learned a lesson. But frankly some of the comments to my genuine question I found quite insulting in their insinuations.

Ignore them and don't worry about it they are bored and sat on a mooring with naff else better to do, you will find the rest of us out here frankly dont give a shit if you dont move if you are unable to and neither does CRT so long as you move when you can, just speak to the local enforcement officer on the phone or simply sit tight, you are under no obligation to turn around and go in a completely different direction as that would not be your intended 'bonfide' continued journey.

Seriously guys some of you need to get a life!

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1