Can't cruise as they've closed a lock!

Boisdevie

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, dmr said:

Our favoured pub entertainment is BackGammon and this is always played on the iPad, that way no matter how drunk one gets you can't drop all the little pieces on the floor. Might investigate playing draughts on the iPad too but do think that chess should be played on a real board with real men (sorry, people).

A couple of the chess games were pretty close, it was my ability to consistently make stupid mistakes that gave Goliath the upper hand. Trouble with Monopoly is that it becomes clear who is going to win in the first 5 minutes but then it takes an hour for the defeat to run its course.

..............Dave

Ahh but I tricked you in to making those mistakes, you see. 

And I had to concede some games to keep you coming back for more. 

:)

You have all winter to study some openings, so see you in the summer.

4 hours ago, Horace42 said:

....try changing the Tax Demand  just after GO to a Refund - that speeds the game up, and get in jail - that stops you paying rent...!

...and add a few extra cards of your own wording to Chance - to tip the balance between the 'haves and have-not's.

...then print some more money... and you might have to pop out to the workshop to make a few more hotels ! 

The 'workers take control of the means of production' version of Monopoly.

I think there could be mileage in this.

To the barricades comrades!

1 hour ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

Many years ago, in a previous life as a biology teacher, I invented (but didn't patent, dammit!) a game called 'Guts', which involved travelling through the digestive system.  It was very popular with students, but no matter how good you were, you couldn't finish unless you threw a number 2.......

Radcliffe and Maconie, Radio 6, 1 - 4pm, have been doing bad science jokes this week.

(Well not jokes about bad science but bad jokes about science if you see what I mean)

As in:

Where do you go to get mercury?

I don't know. where do you go to get mercury?

Hg wells.

< broooooom tish >

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I happen to prefer draughts actually, as despite initial appearances it is a very strategic game. 

I was curious when playing Gilly back in summer in the Black Swan how the board curiously fell off the table, I still felt she was well in with a chance of winning!

I like the word 'curious'.... :)

P.S. this Whispergen is great. I've just started charging my batteries and no-one knows I'm doing it. Yay!

The best game in the world is " Uckers " it is truly awesome and addictive especialy good when inebriated.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

The best game in the world is " Uckers " it is truly awesome and addictive especialy good when inebriated.

I had to look it up and found something familiar.

Yes, it's an excellent game, especially if you don't play to win but to frustrate another player

I thought you might be talking about this: 

20131024-122007.jpg

Richard

I love it!

:D

Take, for instance, rule 4:

Individual players cannot choose their class. In real life, this is usually determined by the kind of family into which one is born. In "Class Struggle" too it is chance that decides. THROW THE GENETIC (OR LUCK-OF-BIRTH) DIE, THE ONE WITH THE SYMBOLS ON IT, TO SEE WHO PLAYS WHAT CLASS. It is important that Workers and Capitalists be represented in the game, so if there are only two players these are the classes they should play.

Anyone fancy playing?

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

I love it!

:D

Take, for instance, rule 4:

Individual players cannot choose their class. In real life, this is usually determined by the kind of family into which one is born. In "Class Struggle" too it is chance that decides. THROW THE GENETIC (OR LUCK-OF-BIRTH) DIE, THE ONE WITH THE SYMBOLS ON IT, TO SEE WHO PLAYS WHAT CLASS. It is important that Workers and Capitalists be represented in the game, so if there are only two players these are the classes they should play.

Anyone fancy playing?

Unfortunately I can only find one for sale at £76.45 which would feed a proletarian family for at least a month.

Another victory for the aristocracy.

Edited to add: Found a French version on Ebay for about £30 sadly whilst I am fluent in French alas the rest of the family are not.

Edited by carlt

43 minutes ago, carlt said:

Another victory for the aristocracy.

I was introduced to this board game some 30 years ago at a social gathering and assigned the capitalist role. Unfortunately I was caught stealing money from the bank after the other players got together and I thought I might lose.  My explanation "well I would, wouldn't I?" was not regarded as acceptable.

On 08/11/2017 at 20:10, ditchcrawler said:

Another one in his blog today. Shirley Drawbridge on the North Stratford.

I heard a boat coming past on Thursday morning and leant out of the hatch to tell them the bridge was closed.  They weren’t aware but said that they’ll get them to open it.  I knew that wasn’t going to be possible as the control mechanism had been removed and they were waiting for the replacement to turn up.  The boat moored up between us and the bridge whilst the guy went off to negotiate with the workers.

After a while I heard the boat start up and it began reversing back past me.  He had about two miles to reverse to the next winding hole so that was going to be a fun journey.

BTW Anyone know where the OP has got to? He seems to have vanished!

15 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Oh so true. Many a nights sleep forfeited for a game of uckers.

Whilst on my last long term sea trip I 'got into' Mahjong'. Fabulous game. Haven't a clue how to play it now. 

10 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Another one in his blog today. Shirley Drawbridge on the North Stratford.

I heard a boat coming past on Thursday morning and leant out of the hatch to tell them the bridge was closed.  They weren’t aware but said that they’ll get them to open it.  I knew that wasn’t going to be possible as the control mechanism had been removed and they were waiting for the replacement to turn up.  The boat moored up between us and the bridge whilst the guy went off to negotiate with the workers.

After a while I heard the boat start up and it began reversing back past me.  He had about two miles to reverse to the next winding hole so that was going to be a fun journey.

BTW Anyone know where the OP has got to? He seems to have vanished!

He probably got pee'd off with people having a go because he made a mistake and didn't check for stoppages, something non of us have ever done.

Nope, not there. No boats moored down the arm either. The arm is only accessible by water during the closure because the deep lock footbridge is fenced off. 

I hope the O.P. isn't the muppet moored opposite the winding hole near 'The Boathouse' restaurant at Appley Bridge.

25 minutes ago, Aguila said:

Nope, not there. No boats moored down the arm either. The arm is only accessible by water during the closure because the deep lock footbridge is fenced off. 

I hope the O.P. isn't the muppet moored opposite the winding hole near 'The Boathouse' restaurant at Appley Bridge.

Well the OP's boat is called Ozymandias, according to his profile.

Are you still there?

5 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Well the OP's boat is called Ozymandias, according to his profile.

Are you still there?

No. Was on Shanks' Pony and wanted to get back to Parbold before it got dark.

Only boat in the vicinity of Appley Lock is Y-Knot and it's moored below the lock.

_DSC0936c.jpg.0a45053af9cd6fdc54a6a4eca1cd925f.jpg

Edited by Aguila
Added photo

I've only had my boat since August following some work identified by the survey and have a bit of sympathy for the OP as they appear to be genuine. There is so much to think about in those early days, and despite planning things get missed, I had additional work done in Nantwich in Oct and was on a run south to the Severn when the fuel pump went so that could have put me at the mercy of the winter closures despite having read through them....I probably have a bit more time to kill than the OP as I did read through everything but only just remembered to check with the C&RT site despite it being on my things to do list, so can imagine people missing it in their first 6 months.

Have to say, people talk about turning round on the cut after a lock closure but a lot of people may not get that option given no winding hole. Also understand the suspicion on here as one boater actually admitted to doing it after a few beers in a pub one evening, and would not be surprised by any hard stance from C&RT.

Good luck to you OP, and to everyone else out on the cut....maybe a milder winter this year!?...let's hope for a 'not-too-wet' one, unless it refers to a drink or two.

A winter of work to make the boat my own but looking forward to getting out and about next summer. After a breakdown, split from wife and health issues am enjoying my new life, despite having to work still, and can't wait for early days of spring....although that does mean boat repainting time so lots of scrubbing back of existing stuff and sanding down but looking forward to it. :cheers:

• Greenie 2

13 minutes ago, The Grumpy Triker said:

Have to say, people talk about turning round on the cut after a lock closure but a lot of people may not get that option given no winding hole.

It's not " no option" though, it's just bl**dy awkward. I have reversed boats a mile or more to wind. A boat longer than the normal channel width but less than full length can usually find somewhere to wind without needing a full winding hole. And towing from the bank can be easier than steering in reverse on some boats. It just depends on how much you want to make it happen.