Can't cruise as they've closed a lock!

Boisdevie

Featured Posts

40 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

If the OP is running their engine to charge batteries then my preference would be to move the boat rather than sitting still with the engine running.

Same here, I really hate just sitting with the engine running I would rather cruise to a winding hole and back again.

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Same here, I really hate just sitting with the engine running I would rather cruise to a winding hole and back again.

But then you’d be pointing the wrong way... so you’d have to do it again... ;)

17 hours ago, Boisdevie said:

And this is relevant to my post in what way exactly? Are you suggesting that I am doing this deliberately? FYI I have only been a NB owner since June this year and simply didn't realise that they shut locks for weeks at a time.

I do have some sympathy although its easy today to find out stuff on tinternet. When we moved onboard, long before inverters, personal computers, the internet, smart fones, apps, forums etc I remember going up the trent and Mersey from shardlow up hill and saying wow look the locks have gone narrow suddenly after stenson :lol: in fairness it will have been in nicholsons but I hadn't read it.

We all make mistakes and EVERY SINGLE poster on this forum has made loads of em or they havnt been boating long.

• Happy 1

4 hours ago, nicknorman said:

If you want to avoid this sort of trouble in the future, can I suggest that you get a Hudson, these come with a butler who looks after all these sorts of inconveniences for you.

But Hudson is the butler isn't he? If a butler comes with his own butler, where will it all end?

7 minutes ago, reg said:

Eta

Retracted as nothing worthwhile to say, yet again. 

Question how do you delete your own post? 

You can usually delete your text, but there is a time limit in so doing - I think it's an hour. If that doesn't work for you, a moddy can hide the post for you.

43 minutes ago, billS said:

But Hudson is the butler isn't he? If a butler comes with his own butler, where will it all end?

Don't know; Ask Jeeves.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

You can usually delete your text, but there is a time limit in so doing - I think it's an hour. If that doesn't work for you, a moddy can hide the post for you.

Many thanks, can't seem to do it on my android tablet. I will raise it in the technical forum if I need to do it in the future. 

Thanks

21 hours ago, zenataomm said:

They don't do that at all! ........ sometimes closures can run into months.

Take Blisworth Tunnel , it was closed between April 1982 and September 1984.

Once again here on The Chesterfield there have been a couple of "new to this area" boats arrived on the canal very recently. Just in time for the stoppages to kick in. 

In this case perhaps they did not know that CRT have not yet managed to get Norwood tunnel open again, it has been closed since 1907. 

I can think of far worse places to be stuck

• Greenie 1

23 hours ago, Boisdevie said:

Set off from Appleby Bridge this morning towards the Rufford branch of the Leeds Liverpool only to find the lock is closed for 5 weeks for repair. So I can't continuously cruise in the direction I wanted and going the other way is the wrong way and will cost me time and money. I'm hoping to stay put until the lock reopens. I've emailed the C&RT for advice. Wonder if they'll hassle me to continue moving?

Was it your intention to cc on the 7 miles of the Rufford arm until the Ribble Link reopens next April? Or moor in one of the marinas over winter perhaps?

Edited by bill brown

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We all make mistakes and EVERY SINGLE poster on this forum has made loads of em or they havnt been boating long.

How about married ones!   Don't they make mistakes as well?  

Either way, you are probably right. In real life, anyone who hasn't made a mistake - hasn't made anything!

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, bill brown said:

....going the other way is the wrong way and will cost me time and money

How will it cost you time and money?

Its 5 weeks time and 5 weeks money whichever direction your travelling.

Eta

I do have a small amount of sympathy for your first years learning experience, but that's what it is a learning experience, many more to come.

Edited by reg

4 hours ago, billS said:

4 hours ago, Athy said:

Don't know; Ask Jeeves.

....but before hiring one who doesn't know about canals and lock closures, read the book by Richard Llewellyn - 'How green was my valet'

• Haha 1

Just planning a Christmas cruise south to Marsworth to discover we are stymied as central Milton Keynes will be closed from the 2nd January which is a couple of days to early for us. Plan B glad this thread prompted me to double check stoppage dates as I thought most post Christmas ones started in 8th.

9 hours ago, Goliath said:

Dave, I remember we had a very pleasant time by Appley Lock, lock 91. How's your chess coming on? 

To the OP, it's a nice spot by that lock and only half an hour walk to Parbold for supplies. So I'd spend a fortnight there, then go back to the previous lock where you can fill with water, stay for fortnight, then back to 91 for a week. It's a half hour cruise between locks so no big deal on fuel. 

Both locks have a small arm either side where you can sit out of the way. 

Use your free time to catch up on further stoppages. Enjoy. 

Those games of chess (plus cider) on the bench at Appley lock island were truly magical and one of the highlights of this years cruising. So first, the gas bottle locker still looks great in its several coats of epoxy, but sadly I have played no chess since our last meeting, I have concluded that its a terrible waste of money. Appley was good but that final game at Crooke Hall?   I remember that we spent the whole day getting superbly drunk on good beer then played chess and once you got the upper hand I instantly sobered up, and still lost. Its a terrible viscous circle..... get drunk on beer, play chess and sober up, drink vodka, get drunk, play chess.......:D

...............Dave

oooh  you are so observant and clever! :D Spell checkers do exactly that, no heart and soul, but then again it probably was a viscous circle, stuck in a never ending bog of really good vodka (dunno what the viscosity of vodka is).

Scottish beer is sometimes still sold in "Shillings" so why not do the same same in England (by viscosity),  I'll have a pint of that 40 second winter ale please?

.............Dave