Coarse grade anti slip tape

MtB

Featured Posts

The commonly available gritted tapes available from the normal sources like screwfix aren’t really coarse enough for a frost-laden gang plank. Can anyone suggest a supplier of the really coarse grade tape one sometimes sees on crt infrastructure like ladder bridges etc, please? 

Many thanks if you can! 

2 hours ago, Chewbacka said:

If you google   -   extra course anti-slip tape 

it returns quite a few that look suitable.

If you Google - extra coarse anti-slip tape - you get loads more ;)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=extra+coarse+anti+slip+tape&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en-gb&client=safari

• Haha 1

The antislip stuff could be cut to the same profile as the soles of a pair shoes and stuck on, or shoe if you only have one foot or your habit is hopping on one foot everywhere. These special shoes-shoe could be kept purely for walking the plank, changing into normal shoes-shoe at either end of it.    Small gauge chicken wire nailed on the plank is the best anti slip, the slight movement of it when walked on breaks up thin ice. If you are single footed or hop about, going up and down it should keep it clear all over, going one way only on the plank all the time on one leg would only keep one side ot it clear. Doing the egg and spoon race on the plank tied to someone else would produce 4 feet, two of which tied together and would keep the plank nice and clear all over.

Edited by bizzard
  • Happy 1

Thanks for all the suggestions  chaps. I know the chicken wire idea is the best but it also results in loads of sharp cut wire ends all over the underside of the plank which might cut my delicate hands when handling the gangplank, so I'm ruling that out for now. 

I like the decking screw-down anti slip strips too and I might yet buy some but at £4 for a two foot length 2" wide I'm barfing at the price as I'll probably need about 10 of them. 

So I've ordered some skateboard decking stuff for about four quid. I'll let you know how it turns out!

Another one I've seen used is roofing felt, some have a fairly coarse aggregate, just lay it down in one piece or cut into strips, stick with goo of choice.

Might make an ali gangplank a fair bit heavier though hence my question about the type of gangplank. But the price for a decent area of grippy stuff is unbeatable. :)

On 08/11/2017 at 10:59, smileypete said:

Another one I've seen used is roofing felt, some have a fairly coarse aggregate, just lay it down in one piece or cut into strips, stick with goo of choice.

Might make an ali gangplank a fair bit heavier though hence my question about the type of gangplank. But the price for a decent area of grippy stuff is unbeatable. :)

That too is a Good Idea, thanks!

My plank is wooden. Forgot to answer your question earlier... apologies.

• Greenie 1

On out last shareboat, Norbury Wharf re-did the non slip surface on the cabin top by putting crushed walnut shells onto the wet paint and then when dry painting a couple of top coats over.

It was without a doubt the best non slip finish I have ever come across anywhere, especially when covered on frost. 

• Greenie 1