Solar- strange goings on.

Gareth E

Featured Posts

I have 375w of solar, a Tracer mppt charger with the added meter.

I've checked this a few times as it seemed mad, but it's definitely the case, as follows:

I've been moored for nearly 2 weeks opposite some rather spindly pine trees, the sun comes up behind them. Yesterday at 8.30 a.m. with clear sunshine there was 0.5 amps showing on the meter. Today at the same time, with light cloud cover, the meter read 1.6 amps. As I said I've checked several times before this, I get much more energy when there's light cloud than full sunshine, at this time of the year.

Any thoughts or theories?  

6 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

I have 375w of solar, a Tracer mppt charger with the added meter.

I've checked this a few times as it seemed mad, but it's definitely the case, as follows:

I've been moored for nearly 2 weeks opposite some rather spindly pine trees, the sun comes up behind them. Yesterday at 8.30 a.m. with clear sunshine there was 0.5 amps showing on the meter. Today at the same time, with light cloud cover, the meter read 1.6 amps. As I said I've checked several times before this, I get much more energy when there's light cloud than full sunshine, at this time of the year.

Any thoughts or theories?  

I agree with Tony. Clouds reflect radiation and make the general conditions during low sun brighter. 

I suspect your panels are lying flat on the roof. Try tipping them up to face the low sun directly. I predict the charge current will rocket in direct sun, but no change on a cloudy day.

As above, but with light cloud,. light is actually hitting the panel from more than one direction, as it is reflecting off water molecules, so MORE light is hitting the panels in total, even though it may will be less intense from any one direction...

I suspect that shading is the cause of this problem. When the sun is shining shade from the trees is being cast onto the panel and this seriously effects its performance. To give an example a week or so ago my panel in bright sun was producing a pathetic 0.5 amps. On checking a small area of shade was being cast onto the panel from a flower box on the roof. As soon as this was removed the readings shot up to 6.3 amps.

Something I have noticed several times, and possibly related to the issue the OP has experienced...

On a sunny day I get more charge if I point the panels toward the sun but on a day with cloud cover I get more charge if  the panels are pointed straight up rather than towards where the sun is hiding.

2 hours ago, jddevel said:

Bit off topic but following my enquiry a while ago of Sunlight of China and their flexible panels I have today received a follow up email with the following link!!!!  

So it’s reasonably robust then :D

Thanks for the replies, you've got me thinking! I wonder if a mirror was attached the a panel at right angles, when the sun is quite low, it might reflect sunlight back on the panel that would otherwise be 'wasted' and increase the harvest of energy. What do you think? 

1 hour ago, Gareth E said:

Thanks for the replies, you've got me thinking! I wonder if a mirror was attached the a panel at right angles, when the sun is quite low, it might reflect sunlight back on the panel that would otherwise be 'wasted' and increase the harvest of energy. What do you think? 

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cool-tech/peek-inside-nevada-solar-plant-247-power-molten-salt/

You don’t just need mirrors, you need molten salt too. 

Edited by WotEver
Amended link

On 09/11/2017 at 17:06, Gareth E said:

Flippin' 'eck, do you have a degree in Doing Things The Hard Way?

Just tip the panel up to face the sun in the first place rather than f-ing about with mirrors!!!

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Flippin' 'eck, do you have a degree in Doing Things The Hard Way?

Just tip the panel up to face the sun in the first place rather than f-ing about with mirrors!!!

Panels are fixed flat on frames made from 3 x 2, not possible to move them. 

I might give this a go, if I can get hold of some cheap mirrored plastic. 

16 hours ago, Gareth E said:

Make sure your third party insurance is up to snuff in case you melt the GRP boat next door or dazzle a high speed towpath cyclist with disastrous consequences!