carl hurth munchen, 947.10 gearbox

kobbe

Featured Posts

It looks as if it uses helical constant mesh gears and an older design of automotive synchromesh units to lock the gears to the shaft. These do have a cone clutch but once engaged it does not transmit driving force. The first part of the lever movement pushes the cone clutches together and hopefully synchronises the gear and shaft speed, then the dog clutch "ring" slides over teeth on the cone and gear to transmit drive.  Much like a Newage/BMC DCC box except that used an ordinary automotive clutch rather than a centrifugal one.

The term dog clutch means a device that transmits drive through teeth rather tan a cone or plate mechanism. If you look at the second photo you can see the selector shaft with the selector fork fixed to it. The selector fork hangs down into a grove in the actual change mechanism. You can see loads of little to one side (front) of the actual gear teeth. The yellow ones are brass/bronze and are fitted to the cone while the others are part fo the gear. The change mechanism has a matching set of longer internal teeth that slide over the others to lock the gear to the change mechanism and thus to the shaft.

Edited by Tony Brooks

Now your talking technical terms? And totally lost me lol, 

thankfully both you and the engineer know these things or we would have some serious problems on our hands and a world of throw away items, 

can I assume that means I got a good set up lol

6 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

It looks as if it uses helical constant mesh gears and an older design of automotive synchromesh units to lock the gears to the shaft. These do have a cone clutch but once engaged it does not transmit driving force. The first part of the lever movement pushes the cone clutches together and hopefully synchronises the gear and shaft speed, then the dog clutch "ring" slides over teeth on the cone and gear to transmit drive.  Much like a Newage/BMC DCC box except that used an ordinary automotive clutch rather than a centrifugal one.

The term dog clutch means a device that transmits drive through teeth rather tan a cone or plate mechanism. If you look at the second photo you can see the selector shaft with the selector fork fixed to it. The selector fork hangs down into a grove in the actual change mechanism. You can see loads of little to one side (front) of the actual gear teeth. The yellow ones are brass/bronze and are fitted to the cone while the others are part fo the gear. The change mechanism has a matching set of longer internal teeth that slide over the others to lock the gear to the change mechanism and thus to the shaft.

By a strange coincidence, I have the gearbox from a dumper truck in the workshop at the moment which also has dog clutches

Richard

7 hours ago, kobbe said:

Now your talking technical terms? And totally lost me lol, 

thankfully both you and the engineer know these things or we would have some serious problems on our hands and a world of throw away items, 

can I assume that means I got a good set up lol

If you can get parts then probably, if not then its just junk.

• 3 years later...

Unless someone with that box replies, I don't fancy your chances of finding out here. It is a very uncommon box on the inland waterways. However, its guts seem just to be automotive parts, so a vehicle gearbox oil like API GL4 would probably do. I suspect in our use engine oil or even ATF would also do. I ran by ZF box for years on ATF, although the sec sheet said engine oil.

It's probably best to contact Hurth, now part of ZF,  and ask them.

12 minutes ago, Kaastrup said:

Does ATF also apply for most 35+ year old Hurth boxes?

I do not know, but ATF will do no damage. Landrover  decided to use ATF in their standard gearboxes to cope better with the heat, previously they used gear oils.

19 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Unless someone with that box replies, I don't fancy your chances of finding out here. It is a very uncommon box on the inland waterways. However, its guts seem just to be automotive parts, so a vehicle gearbox oil like API GL4 would probably do. I suspect in our use engine oil or even ATF would also do. I ran by ZF box for years on ATF, although the sec sheet said engine oil.

It's probably best to contact Hurth, now part of ZF,  and ask them.

Thanks. I already spoke with a company in Holland who works with these boxes. The answer was to use ATF Type IID or Type A.