Trailer Hire

Ian JC

Featured Posts

Only 2 localish places i know are, a guy at Redhill who used to move boats up to 30' on a trailer ... very reasonable especially if you tie up with him on a return run, other than that beeston marina used to have a trailer i managed to borrow a couple of times to move a Dawncraft 27 and a nauticus, be aware though a dawncraft doesnt have a straightforward V hull , it has a tri hull with two planks on the outside of the centre V for stability.

Rick 

17 hours ago, Ian JC said:

Hi,

Does anyone have a trailer for hire that would be suitable to move a Dawncraft 25ft Cabin Cruiser?

I would need the trailer for approx 1 week.

Thanks

Ian  

I dont know where you are but Google brings a few up like this http://www.yorkshireboattrailerhire.co.uk/

4 hours ago, Ace 01 said:

Check that you have the correct category to allow towing on your driving licence.

A lot get caught out by that, around here there is a lot of holiday traffic with caravans, the local police seem to pull anything towing a caravan and being driven by someone that looks under 30.

also check that your vehicle is capable of towing a trailer of that size & weight safely, something like a ford focus is not going to do the job, without knowing weights I would be guessing that something along the size of a mid size 4wd or a heavy car (old volvo / vauxhall omega etc) would be needed

42 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

also check that your vehicle is capable of towing a trailer of that size & weight safely, something like a ford focus is not going to do the job, without knowing weights I would be guessing that something along the size of a mid size 4wd or a heavy car (old volvo / vauxhall omega etc) would be needed

http://www.uktow.com/towing capacity.asp

3 hours ago, Jess-- said:

A lot get caught out by that, around here there is a lot of holiday traffic with caravans, the local police seem to pull anything towing a caravan and being driven by someone that looks under 30.

Why do you think towing a caravan would be outside the scope of a young persons licence?

40 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Depends oncthe weight of the csravan. This explains why.

https://www.gov.uk/towing-with-car

it would have to be a big caravan or a small towcar to be outside the law, I am very aware of the law . A lot of people are not, including the police.

Edited by rasputin

a fairly light 2 berth caravan weighs in at around 1400kg bare
the general recommendation is that the thing being towed should be no more 85% than of the weight of the vehicle towing... so vehicle with a kerb weight of around 1647kg 
running total : 3047kg

that leaves 453kg to play with, by the time you add in people, luggage and extras for the caravan (gas bottles / awning etc) it's quite easy to exceed the maximum of 3500kg

3 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

a fairly light 2 berth caravan weighs in at around 1400kg

I think you are way out there http://www.uktow.com/caravans.asp?tc=1300

We are talking legal here not recommended, Legally with a "young persons" licence you can tow 100% of your towcar up to a total of 3500kg, so a 1200kg car can tow a 1200kg caravan quite legally.  a lot of cars are at least 1200kg and a lot of caravans are under 1200kg

Our last caravan was a huge twin axle job and even towing that we weren’t a long way over 3.5 tonnes. Granddaddy rights meant I was okay anyway but I agree with Rasputin that an average car towing an average caravan will be way under the 3500kg limit. 

Hi Ian. Have you thought about posting your job on 'Anyvan' auction site ? Do you know the weight of your boat. If combined weight of boat and trailer is more than 3500kg then it's out of Land rover territory. Also if you plan to slip the boat then it will mean pulling the trailer hubs and re greasing the bearings  ( talking from personal experience ). Not sure how hire companies get around this. I couldn't leave water in my trailer hubs for long without damaging the bearings.

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 19:43, rasputin said:

Why do you think towing a caravan would be outside the scope of a young persons licence?

I think the suggestion is that until you (younger people) have taken the separate towing test you are not able to tow any trailer / load / caravan above 750kgs all up weight.

Thank you all for your comments.  I am ok on the licence and towing vehicle.   I think it may be easier to crane the boat out of the water and work on it at the boat yard.  I've been quoted £250 for this service in Nuneaton.  Does anyone know a of cheaper service anywhere on the Ashby/Coventry canals?

Pass test before 1st Jan 1997  8.5 tonne MAM.    After 1st Jan 1997 Trailer over 750 tonne,total MAM 3.5tonne.  i.e. Pass test after 1st Jan1997 LR Discovery Max trailer 1,500tonne approx.Manufacturers can de rate a trailer to reduce MAM ie 3,500kg trailer could be de rated to bring MAM within limits. Dont forget that when you reach age 70 and renew your licence, unless you make application to renew under HGV rules and have a medical,you will lose grandfather rights for towing.

3 hours ago, Fitter kieron said:

If combined weight of boat and trailer is more than 3500kg then it's out of Land rover territory.

???

A defender weights about 2000kg and can tow 3500kg, giving a combined weight of 5500kg, so I don’t understand your point.

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

???

A defender weights about 2000kg and can tow 3500kg, giving a combined weight of 5500kg, so I don’t understand your point.

Grandfather rights allow a total MAM (vehicle and trailer) of 8500kg.

Newer licence allows a total MAM of 3500kg, including trailer.

Just now, cuthound said:

Grandfather rights allow a total MAM (vehicle and trailer) of 8500kg.

Newer licence allows a total MAM of 3500kg, including trailer.

I know. But the post that I replied to stated that if the total MAM exceeded 3500kg then it was no good for a Land Rover. Which made no sense whatsoever to me. 

Just now, WotEver said:

I know. But the post that I replied to stated that if the total MAM exceeded 3500kg then it was no good for a Land Rover. Which made no sense whatsoever to me. 

Indeed, and a Land Rover with the air brake conversion can tow a trailer weighing up to 4000kg.

1 minute ago, cuthound said:

Indeed, and a Land Rover with the air brake conversion can tow a trailer weighing up to 4000kg.

And seeing as the Land Rover weighs about 2000kg itself that gives a happy MAM of 6000kg. 

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think the suggestion is that until you (younger people) have taken the separate towing test you are not able to tow any trailer / load / caravan above 750kgs all up weight.

This is the view of a lot of people including a lot of the police, but it is incorrect

6 minutes ago, rasputin said:

This is the view of a lot of people including a lot of the police, but it is incorrect

Very true,  here is the wording from the goverment site. Makes you wonder why they include the referencevtob750kg at all.750kg 

Licences issued from 1 January 1997

If you passed your car driving test on or after 1 January 1997 you can:

• drive a car or van up to 3,500kg maximum authorised mass (MAM) towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM
  • tow a trailer over 750kg MAM as long as the combined MAM of the trailer and towing vehicle is no more than 3,500kg

MAM is the limit on how much the vehicle can weigh when it’s loaded.