Most crossed road ?

Bewildered

Featured Posts

I have just started heading south down the GU and once again running along side Watling Street (aka the A5) I was thinking that surely this road must cross various canals more times than any other, it must cross the GU 20 or more times. So my trivia question is, which single road crosses canals the most and how many times? I don't have the answer I was just wondering if anyone knew.

Edited by Bewildered

50 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Could be but I'll wager the M5 crosses the most canal*.

JP

The M6 crosses a lot of canals: Oxford, Coventry, Birmingham & Fazeley (I think), Grand Union, Aston, Tame Valley, Rushall, Walsall Canal, Wyreley & Essington, Staffs and Worcester, Trent & Mersey, Weaver, Ribble link?, Lancaster canal

I suspect there are more, St Helens?

Richard

*I note and agree with your singular

32 minutes ago, RLWP said:

The M6 crosses a lot of canals: Oxford, Coventry, Birmingham & Fazeley (I think), Grand Union, Aston, Tame Valley, Rushall, Walsall Canal, Wyreley & Essington, Staffs and Worcester, Trent & Mersey, Weaver, Ribble link?, Lancaster canal

I suspect there are more, St Helens?

Richard

*I note and agree with your singular

It doesn't cross the Ribble Link, it crosses the River Ribble where it is not navigable. However it does cross the Bridgwater, the Mancs Ship Canal and the Leeds Liverpool canals.

Nice question, if not directly useful. Here is another: Travelling along in my boat, I was intrigued by the sight of a bridge framed as it were by another nearer bridge. What is the maximum number of bridges that can be seen within bridges in a single line of sight on the entire canal system, and where is it?

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

I don't think the M6 crosses the Weaver. Certainly not the navigable bit. The only motorway crossing of the Weaver is the M56.

Add the Manchester ship canal to the list, on the famed Thelwall fireduck.

MP.

ETA Birmingham and Fazeley is the M6 Toll, does that count?

ETAA The M6 also crosses the Bridgewater.

Edited by MoominPapa

34 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Doesn't the M6 (not toll) cross the Birmingham and Fazeley at Salford junction? Or is that the toll bit?

Correct. It's underneath Spaghetti Junction. As Salford Junction is immediately north of the M6 the motorway actually crosses the B&F and the Birmingham & Warwick Junction one then the other before then swinging over the top of the first hundred yards or so of the Tame Valley as well. It then crosses the Tame Valley again within the Perry Barr flight. I think RLWP has got a little carried away though with listing the Aston Canal. That is of course the B&F.

JP

Edited by Captain Pegg

9 hours ago, MoominPapa said:

I don't think the M6 crosses the Weaver. Certainly not the navigable bit. <snip>

Add the Manchester ship canal to the list, on the famed Thelwall fireduck.

How could I have mixed those two up!

Richard

7 hours ago, Peter X said:

I reckon the A5 scores 14 canal crossings. The OP's question excludes the crossing of the River Severn at Shrewsbury.

Are we talking about the "original" A5 (Watling Street) or the new "bypass" sections of the A5? For example both cross the Coventry Canal and GU.

9 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

Correct. It's underneath Spaghetti Junction. As Salford Junction is immediately north of the M6 the motorway actually crosses the B&F and the Birmingham & Warwick Junction one then the other before then swinging over the top of the first hundred yards or so of the Tame Valley as well. It then crosses the Tame Valley again within the Perry Barr flight. I think RLWP has got a little carried away though with listing the Aston Canal. That is of course the B&F.

JP

No, I correctly identified the Saltley cut as GU, then misidentified the Aston while doubting that the M6 crossed the B&B&F*

Richard

*That's right isn't it? Birmingham and Birmingham and Fazeley?

1 hour ago, RLWP said:

No, I correctly identified the Saltley cut as GU, then misidentified the Aston while doubting that the M6 crossed the B&B&F*

Richard

*That's right isn't it? Birmingham and Birmingham and Fazeley?

I think, "Birmingham & Birmingham and Fazeley" was the name initially used when the Birmingham canal and the Birmingham and Fazely canal companies merged (took over).  As that was a mouth full, it was renamed Birmingham Canal Navigations as we know the collective name today.  At least I think that is correct.

Edited by john6767

12 hours ago, Alway Swilby said:

It doesn't cross the Ribble Link, it crosses the River Ribble where it is not navigable. However it does cross the Bridgwater, the Mancs Ship Canal and the Leeds Liverpool canals.

Actually, there is no such ting as the Leeds Liverpool, it crosses the Leeds & Liverpool Canal - missing out the 'and' is just lazy. It also crosses a surviving section of the Mersey & Irwell Navigation on the north side of the Thelwall Viaduct.

4 hours ago, mark99 said:

The M25 crosses the canal an infinite amount of times.

At only twice per lap (Slough Arm and GU; it just misses the start of the Basingstoke) that would be a very long tedious drive to clock up more canal crossings than the A5. 7+ laps of the M25; it doesn't bear thinking about!