No More(co)

Psycloud

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

I was basing it on a comment made by a well known broker, who when valuing a craft of an acquaintance, said that as he did not have a commissioning cert. for the gas installation, they could not handle the sale.

That sounds complete bobbins the broker was spouting to me, but then I'm a gas bod not a broker. Maybe there is some rule somewhere that a boat may not be sold without a commissioning certificate.

This seems unlikely to me though. I reckon the broker simply didn't want to sell this particular boat and was casting around for a plausible-sounding excuse to turn down the business. 

I bet Wilton would not be able to produce a 'commissioning certificate' for the majority of boats they have on sale on their books. 

P.S. Explaining the source of your information is still very helpful, as it allows readers here to assess how accurate they think it might be. 

On 08/11/2017 at 07:13, Ex Brummie said:

As I understand it, the regs for liveaboards are the same as for hire craft, which requires gas work to be done by a 'competent person', which would require a new installation to be certified and commissioned. If not, I stand corrected. As I don't live aboard, I can't be arsed to plough through the BSS.

Nothing to do with the BSS. If there is anything then it will be in the gas regulations in respect of dwellings, but Mike would be the one to comment on that.

On a new boat there may be something in the RCD/ISOs but I have no idea.

As I've already said  and explained, if I've passed on erroneous info, then 'sorry'. The Broker I referred to was one of the reputable ones, and probably referred to the RCD rules as the age of the boat would not have bought it under the auspices of BSS.

When (and if) my Morco needs replacing, I shall do it myself, and would consider one of these.

2 hours ago, Ex Brummie said:

As I've already said  and explained, if I've passed on erroneous info, then 'sorry'. The Broker I referred to was one of the reputable ones, and probably referred to the RCD rules as the age of the boat would not have bought it under the auspices of BSS.

When (and if) my Morco needs replacing, I shall do it myself, and would consider one of these.

I think you are getting a little confused, unless the boat was very new.

The RCD is NOT applicable to older boats, (ie :- only applies to boats built since 16th June 1998 and intended for Sport or leisure use) the BSS is applicable to ALL boats and renewed every 4 years. There has been talk of making it an annual test like the Car MOT.

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The RCD is NOT applicable to older boats, (ie :- only applies to boats built since 16th June 1998 and intended for Sport or leisure use) the BSS is applicable to ALL boats and renewed every 4 years.

If you read my previous posts, you will see it was a new boat. It falls under the auspices of RCD and the BSS does not come into play until it is 4 years old.

22 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

If you read my previous posts, you will see it was a new boat. It falls under the auspices of RCD and the BSS does not come into play until it is 4 years old.

In which case, as a self fit-out, it maybe was not built in accordance with, & did not comply with the RCD requirements and certification - it could have been something as simple as the stability test had not been undertaken by an independent tester (something many self-builders fall foul of). If that is the case - (non RCD compliance) then it is illegal to sell the boat if less than 5 years old.