No More(co)

Psycloud

Featured Posts

Just been informed that Morco water heaters are no longer available as the company that manufactures them is no longer doing so.  Hopefully spares will be around for some time but I see most suppliers are showing 0 stock on all heaters.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, Psycloud said:

Just been informed that Morco water heaters are no longer available as the company that manufactures them is no longer doing so.  Hopefully spares will be around for some time but I see most suppliers are showing 0 stock on all heaters.

Blimey I had no idea. That seems a shame, they must have been easy to make and a good profit centre for Morco. Is there some sort of EU regulation reason for them being dropped perhaps?

I see the Optima alternative suggested by MP has no pilot light. Battery-powered ignition instead. I can't decide if this is a Good Thing or a really BAD THING!

7 minutes ago, MoominPapa said:

looks like a possible replacement, with the huge advantage of not needing a gas-guzzling pilot light.

Most water-heaters without a pilot are water-guzzling instead, as they take an age to register the water has started flowing and start the (usually very complicated and slow) ignition sequence. And all the time the tap needs to be running. 

19 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Most water-heaters without a pilot are water-guzzling instead, as they take an age to register the water has started flowing and start the (usually very complicated and slow) ignition sequence. And all the time the tap needs to be running. 

I know nothing more than is stated in the Ebay page. I guess it depends on whether the sparks can be trusted to light the main burners at full gas rate or if there has to be spark lighting a pilot burner which is proved alight before the main gas flows. How would you do gas cutoff on flame failure with only battery power (and therefore no power guzzling motorised valve or solenoid?) I can't believe they can get away with allowing gas to flow indefinitely whilst water is flowing without some method to prove that it's lit and not flowing into the boat because of muck on the electrodes or a flat battery.

MP.

ETA. I certainly wouldn't take gas installation tips from this plonker, but the video does show that  the burner lights within a second or so of water flow. (around 2:50)

Edited by MoominPapa
Add youtube link.

Morco heaters were manufactured in Spain by Fagor Electrodomesticos who went bust in 2013. Various bits of the Fagor business were sold off with the heating division apparently going to CNA group in 2014. Their website still exists but all the product links are dead. So perhaps they too have failed.

The data shows flame failure is monitored by ionisation. In practice, this is faster than a conventional thermocouple. Muck on the probe would stop it lighting, not keep it lit. This must mean the battery is an integral part of the control circuit, and one wonders what batteries are used, and how long they last. Having said that, it would not be above the wit of man to adapt the 12v power on the boat to power it direct, or replenish rechargeable batteries.

1 minute ago, Ex Brummie said:

The data shows flame failure is monitored by ionisation.

I have to say, watching the (intensely annoying) video I was impressed by how quickly the main burner lit. 'Direct ignition', this is called. 

Given how negative I can be about new stuff, I think this appliance looks like a great step forward. I might even buy one. Or three!

Whilst my Morco is working, I'm not going to spend £170 + extras (and more work). But if this is all that is available, then there is no option.

A perusal of the installation instructions says " Ensure the 1.5v batteries are installed with correct polarity, so my guess is that there will be 4 cells in series equating to 6volts. Easily supplied from the normal 12 volt circuit.

I see there are 10 and 14 litre versions which offer greater performance than the Morco.

Edited by Ex Brummie
More info.

24 minutes ago, WotEver said:

If they were he’d keep them like that and complain at every opportunity :D

If I sent them back for recalibration, I'd continue to tell the story of how the Smartgauage idolisers on here can be mistaken in their idolatry. 

Anyway I'm not complaining! They do their job, between the two of them. I'm just not too sure what that job is any more so why go to the inconvenience of having them recalibrated?

Speeling edit.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

33 minutes ago, Detling said:

Beware of BSS I believe there are very few water heaters on the approved for use in boats, if not on list it's a fail. Also as someone will soon tell us if liveaboard supposed to be installed by a gassafe guy.

What list? !!!

23 hours ago, Psycloud said:

By who, Morco? Phone em up?

10 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Very similar - I put one of these in the horse trailer so we can wash them off after a hard days hunting.

https://www.wayfair.co.uk/home/pdp/eccotemp-eccotemp-37mbar-hanging-outdoor-shower-ecco1000.html?source=hotdeals

But can't be used indoors. Presumably because is has no flue.

Although on the importer's website the first testimonial says ""Works better than I hoped. I have it mounted on my boat..."

7 hours ago, Detling said:

Beware of BSS I believe there are very few water heaters on the approved for use in boats, if not on list it's a fail. Also as someone will soon tell us if liveaboard supposed to be installed by a gassafe guy.

Unless the Manufacturers Instructions specifically discount installation in a boat, then BSS has to assess the installation complies with them. There is a list of 'usual suspects' that makes reference easy for the examiner when completing the paperwork. And yes, for liveaboard, there should be a commissioning certificate, but that applies to all gas installation. I bet there's not too many have that as the boat is probably not liveaboard at the time of inspection;)

As I understand it, the regs for liveaboards are the same as for hire craft, which requires gas work to be done by a 'competent person', which would require a new installation to be certified and commissioned. If not, I stand corrected. As I don't live aboard, I can't be arsed to plough through the BSS.

On 08/11/2017 at 07:13, Ex Brummie said:

As I understand it, the regs for liveaboards are the same as for hire craft, which requires gas work to be done by a 'competent person', which would require a new installation to be certified and commissioned. If not, I stand corrected. As I don't live aboard, I can't be arsed to plough through the BSS.

That's not what I was challenging you on in post 20. You said a commissioning certificate is required for all gas installations. 

It isn't. Unless you can show otherwise.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Mike,

As I said, I,m not liveaboard, so can't be bothered to trawl through the BSS. I was basing it on a comment made by a well known broker, who when valuing a craft of an acquaintance, said that as he did not have a commissioning cert. for the gas installation, they could not handle the sale. It was a (very impressive) self fit out, but as boat was only 3 years old, It may have been a RCD transgression instead of BSS. As already said, I'll happily stand corrected.