Boaty junk

koukouvagia

Featured Posts

I confess I’m an inveterate hoarder of boaty junk on the grounds that “you never know when it’ll come in useful.”

CaRT, quite rightly in my opinion, has become aware that our moorings resemble Steptoes’ yard and have asked that we all start to clear our junk.

So we’ve made numerous trips to the local dump and a fellow moorer has organised a scrap metal dealer to take away the rest.

Behind our shed we have what is a bit like an archaeological dig. In the picture you can see I’ve unearthed the accumulated junk of the past twenty-five years: the cast iron door from a Belle Portable stove – all that’s left since the rest crumbled away; there’s a leaky calorifier which defied all attempts to mend it; a chunk of the engine bearers from Owl which had to be cut out in order to reach the big ends; the large galvanised bucket with the leaky bottom from an Edwardian thunderbox; the remains of a spare Refleks stove, minus any useful parts; a broken flue pipe which cracked when I caught the chimney on a low bridge; a leaky kettle sans lid; a chain which held in Owl before its undercloth conversion a quarter of a century ago; five dead batteries etc. etc. There’s also a bike which looks as though it’s been buried since Roman times. (I believe Cowroast marina and the local pub are on Roman sites.)

The only useful thing I’ve excavated to date is the anchor (posted on another thread). There’s also an (almost) unused Elsan bucket and chuck it lavatory. When I’ve given it a good clean I might post that here as well.

Junk.jpg.b4da082bda0e6092713263983d990019.jpg

1 minute ago, Laurie.Booth said:

Hope you get a good price for the battery. 

We boaters support local charities with auctions, social gatherings etc. so any proceeds I make from the junk will go towards that.

(As an aside, one of our fellow moorers who organises these events has raised thousands and thousands of pounds for charity over the years).

One of the sources of junk on the moorings - now all gone - are the items left over from auctions which nobody wanted.  I'm told we've just sent five lawnmowers to the scrapyard.

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

I confess I’m an inveterate hoarder of boaty junk on the grounds that “you never know when it’ll come in useful.”

CaRT, quite rightly in my opinion, has become aware that our moorings resemble Steptoes’ yard and have asked that we all start to clear our junk.

So we’ve made numerous trips to the local dump and a fellow moorer has organised a scrap metal dealer to take away the rest.

Behind our shed we have what is a bit like an archaeological dig. In the picture you can see I’ve unearthed the accumulated junk of the past twenty-five years: the cast iron door from a Belle Portable stove – all that’s left since the rest crumbled away; there’s a leaky calorifier which defied all attempts to mend it; a chunk of the engine bearers from Owl which had to be cut out in order to reach the big ends; the large galvanised bucket with the leaky bottom from an Edwardian thunderbox; the remains of a spare Refleks stove, minus any useful parts; a broken flue pipe which cracked when I caught the chimney on a low bridge; a leaky kettle sans lid; a chain which held in Owl before its undercloth conversion a quarter of a century ago; five dead batteries etc. etc. There’s also a bike which looks as though it’s been buried since Roman times. (I believe Cowroast marina and the local pub are on Roman sites.)

The only useful thing I’ve excavated to date is the anchor (posted on another thread). There’s also an (almost) unused Elsan bucket and chuck it lavatory. When I’ve given it a good clean I might post that here as well.

Junk.jpg.b4da082bda0e6092713263983d990019.jpg

I wouldn't part with the chain/rigging screw.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, koukouvagia said:

OK.  Does anyone want it?  I'll rescue it from the scrapman.

As I don't now have a boat I couldn't make use of it but would have thought an owner of an unconverted bot could at some time find a use for it

2 minutes ago, X Alan W said:

As I don't now have a boat I couldn't make use of it but would have thought an owner of an unconverted bot could at some time find a use for it

In case the current owner of Owl would like to deconvert it, he'll find a full set of chains and rigging screws behind the panelling. :P

46 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

OK.  Does anyone want it?  I'll rescue it from the scrapman.

I know The Friends of Raymond would be grateful for it, if you are passing Braunston Marina at any time.  The office would be happy to act as a drop off point if that suits you...?  It would be installed in Nutfield as part of the renovation work currently underway.

50 minutes ago, GRLMK38 said:

I know The Friends of Raymond would be grateful for it, if you are passing Braunston Marina at any time.  The office would be happy to act as a drop off point if that suits you...?  It would be installed in Nutfield as part of the renovation work currently underway.

It's yours!  Glad you can find a use for it.  Not sure when I'll next be in Braunston.  If anyone is passing by Cowroast they can pick it up from my mooring and deliver it to you.

I was a bit surprised when I saw you had scrapped the chain..........I see there are 12 batteries in total, plus a couple more on the mooring.

I managed to salvage Sid's old seat - just what I want.

Have you been throwing away canal water as well, the last time I saw the summit this low was when the canal was closed for 3 months..

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

It's yours!  Glad you can find a use for it.  Not sure when I'll next be in Braunston.  If anyone is passing by Cowroast they can pick it up from my mooring and deliver it to you.

Thank you, that's great ... I will make some enquiries to see if any of the Members are in your area in the meantime.

1 hour ago, LEO said:

Have you been throwing away canal water as well, the last time I saw the summit this low was when the canal was closed for 3 months..

Apparently one of the pumps supplying the summit has packed in and until it's repaired we can expect a low summit level.  Don't know any more details, I'm afraid.

Edited by koukouvagia

22 hours ago, koukouvagia said:

We boaters support local charities with auctions, social gatherings etc. so any proceeds I make from the junk will go towards that.

(As an aside, one of our fellow moorers who organises these events has raised thousands and thousands of pounds for charity over the years).

One of the sources of junk on the moorings - now all gone - are the items left over from auctions which nobody wanted.  I'm told we've just sent five lawnmowers to the scrapyard.

Well done

:)