Dormant 3lb

Dave butler

Featured Posts

I've dealt with a 3LA in a boat, so yes they exist. They sound lovely, spares are practically non-existent.

That job may have used the last head gaskets in existence, the owner had to have his pistons skimmed down and new liners made from scratch to suit. From memory, it uses CAV diesel parts so bits might be available. Bottom end - who knows?

Richard

On 05/11/2017 at 22:05, Dave butler said:

Hi next year I'm having a new shell built, I'm considering buying a dorman3lb engine. Has anybody got one ? How do they sound? Can I get spares easily ? 

Thanks Dave

Have you planned how to sidestep the RCD requirements that would normally prevent you fitting this engine in a new boat?

I have used and worked on 2LB and 8LB. Very straightforward design, not very stylish in the way a Gardner or Kelvin might be viewed. They rev to 2200 which I tend to think is a bit high for a "traditional" boat engine. ( I am used to  max 700 with a Kelvin). Dorman engines are more fit & forget than cherished & petted in an immaculate engine room. Don't know about spares but there were/are a lot of different Dorman models and probably still thousands in standby generators tucked away all over the place with low  engine hours. 

15 hours ago, RLWP said:

I've dealt with a 3LA in a boat, so yes they exist. They sound lovely, spares are practically non-existent.

That job may have used the last head gaskets in existence, the owner had to have his pistons skimmed down and new liners made from scratch to suit. From memory, it uses CAV diesel parts so bits might be available. Bottom end - who knows?

Richard

Having made the liners Richard mentioned earlier he is correct for the LA's not many parts are off the shelf. however the LB's are not as bad on the parts front as the earlier LA's. LB's share alot of common parts with the Later LC, LD & LE's so more is available as spares but by no means as available as Lister JP's or Gardner LW's. For example liners, valves, valve guides, head gaskets are available off the shelf at the moment,  pistons are scarce as they are specific to the LB's and the same as the earlier LA's the fuel equipment is all CAV so easily sorted if there is an issue.

However I wouldn't expect the need for much past the normal filters/belts in use as the LB's are a very strong engine so if maintained properly should be trouble free. A customer we did one for some 8 years ish ago has just passed 15000 hours with the only issue being a leaking water pump seal.

Edited by martyn 1
typo correction
  • Greenie 1

• 2 months later...

I fitted one in my tug some twenty years ago. Very nice engine but I had problems with mounting the engine and it was very shaky at tickover. Suggest it needs strong engine beds.Not difficult to fit a gearbox on the 3LB. Everyone thought it was a Gardner. Took it out in the end because I coundn't stop it shaking. Spares probably very difficult and expensive now put you often see the old engines come up on ebay. Used in Cranes and other heavy plant. I Think at least 50Hp.