Carrying spares

jddevel

Featured Posts

My boat currently has no belt on the engine, it has always had a brief squeal (2 seconds) on startup despite being tight (probably too tight).
on the last trip I noted that the squeal was lasting longer each day so when I got back to the marina I pulled the belt off and ordered 2 new ones when I got home.

I do know however that there is a used belt stashed on the boat, it would probably squeal like mad unless I disable the alternator but it would at least keep the water pump turning to get me to somewhere more convenient (if I'm at the point of throwing a temporary belt on I don't really care if the alternator is charging my batteries or not)

Apart from the spanners sockets screwdriver knives hacksaw drill etc. and spares listed i carry a spare fresh water pump a spare shower drain pump, alternator and starter motor, jump leads and a jump pack and the most invaluable bit of kit is a decent head torch .... useful down the hole when you need both hands in failing light and useful for dog walking in the winter months.

Rick

Edited by dccruiser
  • Love 1

22 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

When did your boat last break down and you fixed it by replacing the vee belt then? 

Gwarn admit it, you never have!!

Mike, you are right.  But I don't expect to die and yet I have life insurance.  I'm sure I'll never benefit from it personally but it's still worthwhile.  I would not want to be stuck in the wilds for want of basic spares and tools.  It's a choice and I can see that some prefer to gamble.

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

My boat currently has no belt on the engine, it has always had a brief squeal (2 seconds) on startup despite being tight (probably too tight).
on the last trip I noted that the squeal was lasting longer each day so when I got back to the marina I pulled the belt off and ordered 2 new ones when I got home.

I do know however that there is a used belt stashed on the boat, it would probably squeal like mad unless I disable the alternator but it would at least keep the water pump turning to get me to somewhere more convenient (if I'm at the point of throwing a temporary belt on I don't really care if the alternator is charging my batteries or not)

Never disable-disconnect the alternator if it is still to be driven by the belt. Doing so will very likely destroy it.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Never disable-disconnect the alternator if it is still to be driven by the belt. Doing so will very likely destroy it.

I think that is not the whole truth.

Disconnect B+ (or B-) while its running and there is a good chance that  it will fail because of a voltage surge.

Disconnect B+ while its stationary and then start and it will probably survive.

Disconnect B+ and D+ while it is stationary and starst it up and it will survive because in the vast majority of cases it can not energise.

Its disconnecting the load from a running alternator that does the damage but even then modern ones seem less prone to damage like this.