Spot Painting

Andy W

Featured Posts

Hello all,

I bought my first boat in the summer. It had some astroturf on the top which I took off asap. The rust was not that bad, but I was advised in my local chandlery that I could wire brush it out and spot paint it with some zinc phosphate marine paint. So I did. This now means that I have grey patches over my cabin, some gloopy. I could sand them a bit and paint them green (the same colour as my boat) but as the old paint is quite faded it would show up as a contrast. The other prospect is repainting the whole cabin in April, but that sounds quite intimidating as I have a 60 foot boat. 

Does anyone have any advice about how to spot paint a pre-existing old surface whilst getting a respectable outcome? 

Many thanks

Andy   

You need to paint the phospate treated areas eith a top coat as soon as possible anyway to keep out moisture. It might as well be green. See what it looks like and do a proper job next year if necessary.

Wot IDS said for now.  By the spring I would expect the rust to be re-appearing so when the weather is nice

remove all the patchy paint, wire brush/ sand the patches with an angle grinder and feather the edges then treat the rust with Fertan or Vactan following the instructions carefully.  Patch prime, feather the edges of the primer, apply two coats of undercoat, feather the edges and sand the whole roof.  Paint the patches with topcoat (one coat will do) then feather the edges and paint the whole roof.

That should last a while, provided you don't walk on it (which scratches the paint)  or leave things lying on it which trap water.

N

1 hour ago, BEngo said:

Wot IDS said for now.  By the spring I would expect the rust to be re-appearing so when the weather is nice

remove all the patchy paint, wire brush/ sand the patches with an angle grinder and feather the edges then treat the rust with Fertan or Vactan following the instructions carefully.  Patch prime, feather the edges of the primer, apply two coats of undercoat, feather the edges and sand the whole roof.  Paint the patches with topcoat (one coat will do) then feather the edges and paint the whole roof.

That should last a while, provided you don't walk on it (which scratches the paint)  or leave things lying on it which trap water.

N

Thanks so much BEngo and IDS. 

I will try and pick up some green topcoat today to get me through to aril with.

One question: what is the difference between patch priming and what I did? Is it just a matter of being less splotchy/more finessed by feathered edges and stuff? 

This looks like it should take a week or two rather than a month or two...? Right? Thanks for the advice guys. 

3 hours ago, BEngo said:

N

Or leave it out in the snow

Patch priming is just priming only the treated patches.  A poor job at any stage  will show all the way through to the final finish though so do sand each coat smooth, so you can't feel any lumps and bumps in the paint, nor should you be able to feel a difference at the edge where primer gives way to original paint when you run your fingers across the edge with you eyes shut.

N