2 x 70’ boats for sale - comments gratefully received

Dartagnan

Featured Posts

I am currently looking to purchase a NB (despite recent price hikes). I have certain requirements including a boatmans cabin and a boat that is suitable for long term cruising and is well fitted out.  I think this realistically indicates I need a 62’ to 70’.  I am aware of the limits re access to certain locations with a 70’ boat  but I am content that I can live with that.

i have seen two 70’ boats on the Great Heywoods website that I like the look of.  Unfortunately I live in NI and the cost of ferry Travel is extortionate so I am doing as much research as possible to weed out ones are unsuitable before I travel to those with potential for purchase.

i would be very grateful if those experienced boaters on the forum could review the adds and give me their comments.  I am interested in any drawbacks of the said boats and what additions I would probably need to add for long term cruising.

i am aware that the ‘Woolwich’ has probably head height constraints which until I see it I am not sure of to what extent.

the other is fitted out by Anthony M.  Despite my cognitive issues I do remember posts about him but on this occasion the boat is completed though I do recall Matty40s mentioning that he had examined one of his boats that was actually finished and he was not impressed apart from the joinery.

The two boats for sale are:

Having typed all othe above I appear to have problems adding links from the Great Haywood Boats website.  The two boats I am enquiring about are Astron and Sheila Ann Mosby and displayed on the brokers website.

Thank you- Martin

Astron: http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/AstronBrochureMainPage.pdf

Sheila Ann Mosby: http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/SheilaAnnMosbyBrochureMainPage.pdf

I have no idea how to answer your questions. I know the travel costs are high, you are really going to have to go and visit boats to get a feel for them no matter what. You can do all the research you want, it won't tell you if you like the boat

Richard

MORE: I notice both have Beta tug engines - you need to hear one of those before you decide...

Edited by RLWP

I note that neither of them have any Solar. Sheila Ann Mosby has space to fit some whereas Astron doesn’t appear to. That might make a big difference if you’re CCing

1 minute ago, zenataomm said:

Good Lord, is this really what it sounds like?

A tractor engine I believe. Or is it a bus engine? I forget. 

Both look like nice boats though I rather like the sheety one, but thats a personal choice.

Both have the Beta JD3 which has advantages and disadvantages, so ignore the posts above about the BD3 because its a different engine.

Both look just a little costly but I suspect thats how it is of late.

70 foot boats are good, no point in 62-64 etc, once youve gone over the "Northern Lock Limit" then you might as well go for the extra space and get a 70, though having been down the Stratford Avon I can see some advantages in 68 to 69 .

I think I remember that Anthony M managed to seriously upset some customers and possible left them out of pocket, but I believe his workmanship was excellent.

If you are spending £70,000 on a boat then you need to pay that ferry fare and go and look at them. Are there still sometimes some very cheap flights???

...............Dave

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I note that neither of them have any Solar. Sheila Ann Mosby has space to fit some whereas Astron doesn’t appear to. That might make a big difference if you’re CCing

How did we all survive pre solar old sport and I think Gardners are bus engines?

3 hours ago, WotEver said:

John Deere probably from one of their tractors

34 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I use mine all the time, just bought some really well put together hurricane lamps, quality

1509727072510631389576.jpg

Nice to see you still using the back lamp I sold you. Just one point, you have either been buring the wicks too high, or they needs trimming. The chiney is blackened from too much wick smoking.

7 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Nice to see you still using the back lamp I sold you. Just one point, you have either been buring the wicks too high, or they needs trimming. The chiney is blackened from too much wick smoking.

Wick needs trimming, in fact I need a replacement wick, yes it has seen good service,  thank you

4 hours ago, RLWP said:

Astron: http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/AstronBrochureMainPage.pdf

Sheila Ann Mosby: http://greathaywoodboatsales.co.uk/images/pdf_files/SheilaAnnMosbyBrochureMainPage.pdf

I have no idea how to answer your questions. I know the travel costs are high, you are really going to have to go and visit boats to get a feel for them no matter what. You can do all the research you want, it won't tell you if you like the boat

Richard

MORE: I notice both have Beta tug engines - you need to hear one of those before you decide...

And what on earth is a "Woolwich Star Class Trader Replica" supposed to be? is it a large Woolwich, Small Woolwich based or someones play on modern nicknames with no knowledge of the real thing (a Star Class Trader doesnt exist in any historical context!).

43 minutes ago, Laurence Hogg said:

And what on earth is a "Woolwich Star Class Trader Replica" supposed to be? is it a large Woolwich, Small Woolwich based or someones play on modern nicknames with no knowledge of the real thing (a Star Class Trader doesnt exist in any historical context!).

We'll the front end definitely looks more Small Woolwich than Large Woolwich.

2 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Wick needs trimming, in fact I need a replacement wick, yes it has seen good service,  thank you

What you need is 1 1/6" (duplex) wick. If you still have an old fashioned hardware shop near you, they may have it on a roll. If not, the cheapest I have found is here (free postage) :- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-METRE-OF-1-1-16-INCH-FLAT-OIL-DUPLEX-SPIRIT-WICK-PARAFFIN-OIL-SPIRIT-LAMP/260555758026?hash=item3caa5559ca:m:mPr61kzVygXIGTjuYCQGtrg

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1