Bad Fishermen

dmr

Featured Posts

Just arrived at the visitor mooring outside the Red Lion at the top of the Weaver. Within minutes there was a Very loud banging on the boat and a bloke telling us quite forcefully to go. He told us that his fishing club had an agreement with CaRT that from October the mooring was for the exclusive of his club. He quoted exact dates and said this agreement was made because a new mooring had been created up in the flash for the use of boaters. I was not convinced but there is limited boating on the Weaver in winter and CaRT do do some odd things.

I phoned CaRT who put me on hold for a while then told me that they had checked and there is no such agreement, and that because its now winter I can stay here for 14 days.

I then made an "incident report" to CaRT by eMail and they responded within an hour.

Another black mark for the maggot men and a gold star for CaRT.

Why cant fishermen just share the water like the rest of us?, they are more territorial than a Jack Russell.

.....................Dave

13 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Presumably you stood your ground and didnt move?

I certainly did and am still here. I need to go down to Northwich for a few days but hope to get up here again next week. They have a great open mic night at the Red Lion, for a small depressed town they have some very talented people.

I love the Weaver, it must be a very expensive navigation to maintain and is not used nearly enough by boaters to justify this expense, the last thing it needs is fishermen scaring boaters away. This is why I have submitted an incident report so that CaRT can, I hope, have a word with the fishing club.

..............Dave

• Greenie 3
  • Happy 1

I am all for standing my ground and telling the maggot fiddlers to sling it, but only if i was going to be aboard my boat all day, i remember a tweet a couple of years ago where a boat got painted with some choice words down the side, allegedly by a maggot fiddler not happy as the boat was in his spot..

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, nicknorman said:

Well done! Yes the Weaver is great and underused.

Only problem is the locks are now unmanned for the winter so we are going to have to phone CaRT for assistance every time we move , which will be quite often. I don't know how this will work out but will report back on this in a couple of weeks.

..............Dave

Just now, Dave Payne said:

I am all for standing my ground and telling the maggot fiddlers to sling it, but only if i was going to be aboard my boat all day, i remember a tweet a couple of years ago where a boat got painted with some choice words down the side, allegedly by a maggot fiddler not happy as the boat was in his spot..

Yes, this is a concern. I tried to be very polite but firm. This was also a reason for reporting the incident to CaRT so that there is a formal record of this. With hindsight I should have tried to get the name of the fisherman, the name of his club, and possibly even a photo.

...............Dave

18 minutes ago, dmr said:

Yes, this is a concern. I tried to be very polite but firm. This was also a reason for reporting the incident to CaRT so that there is a formal record of this. With hindsight I should have tried to get the name of the fisherman, the name of his club, and possibly even a photo.

...............Dave

And got him to show you his fishing licence.

I had similar on the nottingham Canal, fisherman said over the winter period it is just for fishing competitions , I made sure I stopped for 14 days , I did not see any competition while there.

I have had fishermen on lock approach and mooring spots tell me I cannot pull in .

They soon realise that my 30 ton+ boat will not be worried by nets or poles.

Here in the Fens the worst fishermen are boaters who always fish from moorings completely ignoring the EA signs saying "No Fishing from Moorings" I've found being quite steady in my approach shows my intent to moor despite rods out, they soon bring them in.

Phil 

4 hours ago, dmr said:

Just arrived at the visitor mooring outside the Red Lion at the top of the Weaver. Within minutes there was a Very loud banging on the boat and a bloke telling us quite forcefully to go. He told us that his fishing club had an agreement with CaRT that from October the mooring was for the exclusive of his club. He quoted exact dates and said this agreement was made because a new mooring had been created up in the flash for the use of boaters.  

It quite possible that he actually believes this to be the case

31 minutes ago, ianali said:

I boat and I fish. I am very rarely miserable. Have to say I find some of the above posters views to be rude. 

Ian.

Does  that mean you are only miserable when you're fishing and not when you are  boating?

• Greenie 2

my fella is also a very keen fisherman .and like ianali said .a bit unfair to the fisherman ..if a fisherman  catches lots of fish from the same place .they will very often go back to that same spot .true they do fish in some places they are not allowed ...bit like me some times mooring where im not suppose too not very often but it has happened  .we have come across ..some horrible fishermen and some very nice ones ...i have also come across some very nasty boaters .and again some very nice ones ..and there was not a fisherman in sight ..they where just nasty boaters ...

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

2 minutes ago, luggsy said:

Why do fishiermen/women always want to fish on the opposite side of the bank ? 

It is a bit like Hywel Morgan says in his fly fishing demos when explaining you don't need to cast huge distances "why does everybody think the fish are all at the other end of the lake?" 

4 minutes ago, haza said:

not bitchy  at all ...out of the 35.000 .30.000 twonks 2.5 million .1 million  twonks ...thats if i got my maths right ...but if my maths are like my spelling and grammer .maybe not lol 

lol.

The point I'm making is that by the very fact there are many more fisherman than boaters, more fisherman twonks are likely to be encountered. But proportionwise boater and anglers contain same ratio of good examples to twonks.

I'm a keen angler and boater and this division and superiority speak is plain cack.

Edited by mark99