johnmck

Featured Posts

I kid myself that I can turn my hand to the odd bit of maintainable. My meddling usually causes a call from a professional. 

A couple of years ago, I replaced a radiator. The new one was not the same size, so as usual, I cobbled together a solution. All was well until today, when a pipe decided it had enough of my tampering, and gave in. Thus we have a quite substantial leak from the pipework, which is all copper.

Anyone know of a good plumber in the Rugby area?

25 minutes ago, mross said:

Go here and put your postcode in https://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/find-an-engineer/find-by-location/

Under 'Choose appliance' specify LPG and 'Boats' to find a man who knows all the quirks of boats and boat regulations.

image.jpeg.c3138e354dd941568a2b59ace9fdeffe.jpeg

Why would you need a GasSafe registered person to sort out water plumbing to a radiator?  No gas involved in a radiator unless OP has really got things very badly wrong :D

It sounds an unnecessarily expensive way of doing it to me

Can't you fix it yourself ? Is it a question of the right fittings - or is it cutting and soldering - or the right tools ?

Last time you did it, it worked for two years - so you are nearly there.

Or as ianali #2 says, although you have moved from Crick, is there a 'jobbing' boater moored near you?

2 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

Why would you need a GasSafe registered person to sort out water plumbing to a radiator?

It's just a suggestion!  At least he is likely to be competent.  A plumber who is not registered might be a cowboy.  My advice was also for anybody trying to find a plumber in part of the country they are not familiar with.

12 hours ago, johnmck said:

I kid myself that I can turn my hand to the odd bit of maintainable. My meddling usually causes a call from a professional. 

A couple of years ago, I replaced a radiator. The new one was not the same size, so as usual, I cobbled together a solution. All was well until today, when a pipe decided it had enough of my tampering, and gave in. Thus we have a quite substantial leak from the pipework, which is all copper.

Anyone know of a good plumber in the Rugby area?

I'm sure Rose narrowboats would sort you out.

Quick update. 

Visited Wickes and got four compression elbow bends, a bit of 15mm pipe and a pipe cutter. Drained the system, replaced the connections,refilled and jobs a good un. We have heating once more.

Oh, and Ali's nephew provided the expertise, expertly... Thank you Graham.

11 hours ago, johnmck said:

Quick update. 

Visited Wickes and got four compression elbow bends, a bit of 15mm pipe and a pipe cutter. Drained the system, replaced the connections,refilled and jobs a good un. We have heating once more.  Good! but no leaks I hope!

Oh, and Ali's nephew provided the expertise, expertly... Thank you Graham.

Great! I assume you bled the air from the top of the radiator......!

the lesson is that if you can't make emergency repairs in a hurry, then you shouldn't be on a boat (or a remote country cottage for that matter).

those that can, do it.

those that can't - go live in a housing estate with a Home Repair Plan insurance in place and never venture away from home for more than a day (except for a regular break in the sun bought as an all-in package from an online travel agent, to break the dreadful monotony of conventional modern life).

On ‎11‎/‎2‎/‎2017 at 08:59, alan_fincher said:

Why would you need a GasSafe registered person to sort out water plumbing to a radiator?  No gas involved in a radiator unless OP has really got things very badly wrong :D

It has happened. Quite a few years ago when we lived in Bristol it was on the local TV news that a chap had installed an "over the sink" electric water heater in an outhouse using a self cutting tap but had put the tap on a gas pipe! Ooops. Apparently the heater landed 3 streets away!!!

It wasn't me.

10 hours ago, Horace42 said:

Great! I assume you bled the air from the top of the radiator......!

Yep. Filled the system and ran the pump without the heating on to purge air out, and bled each radiator. Then put the heating on and did a final check of joints and further bleed of the rads.  All good. We cannot all be expert at DIY, mores the pity...

21 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Ah, but you have taken the first step on the journey. :)

exactly.  none of us used to be experts at DIY - we all learned through NIKE - Just Do It !

.....    reminds me of a project I managed years ago in Abu Dhabi.  Our principal subcontractor was an Indian company.  Their supervisors used to come to my office several times a day to get confirmation that they were doing whatever it was 'properly'.  In desperation I went to a shoe shop and asked them for a NIKE emblem.  They kindly gave me one that was about 6 feet long which I stuck on the wall behind my desk.  When the questions came I just pointed over my shoulder at the wall; they actually responded with a big smile and a thumbs-up, because they realised that they had been given the responsibility for deciding how to do their job, which clearly they recognised was an improvement on the the work culture they were used to.

Edited by Murflynn

I had almost the opposite experience when we were having the kitchen refitted in our old house.

Being a project manager at the time, I was used to my package managers using daily snagging lists to keep contractors on track.

I came home from work to find worktop not level, the hob mounted at a slight angle plus numerous over small things, so I left a snagging list for the fitters benefit 

Later the next day I got a call from the fitters boss. He was irate and said in 25 years of fitting kitchens No one had ever criticised his fitters work.

I calmly explained to him the purpose of the daily snagging list was to allow his fitter to correct small errors as they occurred, but if he preferred I could leave it until they had finished, when it would be necessary to dismantle the whole kitchen in order to correct some of the snags.

All of a sudden he agreed to me inspecting their work every evening and leaving a daily snagging list. :D

15 hours ago, johnmck said:

Yep. Filled the system and ran the pump without the heating on to purge air out, and bled each radiator. Then put the heating on and did a final check of joints and further bleed of the rads.  All good. We cannot all be expert at DIY, mores the pity...

You sound expert enough to me.