Boat security and thefts

rbrtcrowther

Featured Posts

I read about a boat that was stolen from a marina and found a few days later on the Fozdyke..... How often does this sort of thing happen on the canals? I understand the need to be careful where you moor up incase of vandalism or break in, but actual boat theft? its not hard to make a lock for the gear shift leaver on the gearbox end it that still leaves it towable.... Are there tracking systems available or am.i just being paranoid....

Its really very rare.

The market is small and boats are very varied and unique, making resale resale of stolen boats very problematic. 

Like parking a car, certain areas have greater risks or at least greater perceived risk, however in practice you can moor in almost all locations without issue. Most marinas are really very safe, and I have never had any major issues with mooring on the towpath all over the system, which is what we do for 6 months of the year with our boat, every year for the last 25years.

We dont have portholes either, because we dont like going on holiday in a dark tube.

Daniel

Nothing happens on the canal without a few thousand people knowing about it. Whenever a boat is stolen and an alert is given, either here or on facebook, then a large group is alerted and looking out for said boat. Boat is escaping at 3mph in a straight line with many eyes looking out for it. Check out some of the previous lost boat threads to get an idea of what goes on.

21 hours ago, rbrtcrowther said:

I read about a boat that was stolen from a marina and found a few days later on the Fozdyke..... How often does this sort of thing happen on the canals? I understand the need to be careful where you moor up incase of vandalism or break in, but actual boat theft? its not hard to make a lock for the gear shift leaver on the gearbox end it that still leaves it towable.... Are there tracking systems available or am.i just being paranoid....

Relax. Rare.