Euro Car Parts Triple QX Antifreeze

Tonka

Featured Posts

Has any one used Euro Car Parts Triple QX Antifreeze (red) in their engine. I am planning to change the antifreeze in my BD3 and have bought 25 Litres of it and the data sheets states

"

Description

Triple QX Red Antifreeze Concentrate is an extended life, ethylene glycol antifreeze/coolant

providing effective heat transfer and all climates, year round performance. It contains Organic

Acid Inhibitor technology and is free from nitrates, amines, phosphates, borates and silicates.

This will provide outstanding protection against frost, corrosion and overheating in all

modern engines.

Benefits

Triple QX Antifreeze Red provide the following exceptional benefits

Protection: Organic acid inhibitor technology in Triple QX Red Antifreeze provides

outstanding corrosion protection for all cooling system parts, and provides pitting

protection for cylinder liners.

Long Life: Triple QX Red Antifreeze provides up to 100,000 miles of service in passenger

cars, 250,000 miles in commercial vehicles and 5,000 hours in off road equipment. It is

advised the coolant is replaced when the above mileage have been reached or after

5 years whichever is sooner.

Compatible: Compatible with other coolants, hoses, elastomer and seals and can be

used directly as a summer coolant

Performance Level

BS6580 (2010)

VW G-12/TL-774D & VW G-12+/TL-774F

MAN 278 & MAN 324

MB 325.3

Renault 41-01-00

Direction for Use

Drain and flush the cooling system with clean water. Use a cooling system flush product if

sludge is evident. Check all hose clips and joints for leakage tighten where necessary.

Partly fill radiator with clean water and pour in Antifreeze to give level of protection required

(refer to vehicle handbook for total volume of the cooling system). Top up with more water.

Replace radiator cap, run engine for a few minutes to circulate antifreeze around the system.

Remove radiator cap and top up the radiator with water if necessary.

If found necessary to top up the radiator, use only diluted Antifreeze to the same concentration

as already used.

Our Complementary Range

In addition to the full range of Triple QX Antifreeze/Coolants, Triple QX also offers a complete

portfolio of automotive lubricants for passenger as well as commercial vehicles.

Health and Safety

Warning: contains ethylene glycol. Harmful if swallowed. Keep out of the reach of children. If

swallowed, seek medical advice immediately. Avoid contact with skin and eyes. Keep away

from food, drink and animal feeding stuffs. Dispose of this material and its container to hazardous

or special waste collection point.

Volume % Triple QX Red Antifreeze/Coolant

Concentrate

Volume % Water Protection Temperature

50% 50% Up to -36º C

33% 67% Up to -20º C"

But Beta Marine have stated This "

The antifreeze we use is blue

We have contacted our supplier and they have confirmed the following applies to the antifreeze we supply :

Extended Life is a phosphate-free, silicate-free, nitrate-free and borate-free, coolant which uses organic corrosion inhibitors to provide superior wet sleeve liner cavitation and corrosion protection for all cooling system metals. Additional advantages of using Extended Life Coolant/Antifreeze include: Fully compatible with all coolant technologies. Provides superior long-term elastomer compatibility. Compatible with all water qualities and prevents hard water scale dropout. Long term corrosion protection for aluminium, copper-brass, cast iron, steel and solder alloys."

So what does the forum think.

I use it in my Beta 43, which had 12 hours on it when I bought the boat and already had pink/red coolant. I added it premixed at 33% to a flushed system. It's been in for four years now and I see no reason not to use it again next time. I found it cheaper to buy the ready-mixed (50-50) and dilute it further with deionised water than to buy it concentrated and add higher quantities of deionised water.

36 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I use it in my Beta 43, which had 12 hours on it when I bought the boat and already had pink/red coolant. I added it premixed at 33% to a flushed system. It's been in for four years now and I see no reason not to use it again next time. I found it cheaper to buy the ready-mixed (50-50) and dilute it further with deionised water than to buy it concentrated and add higher quantities of deionised water.

If you have a leak in a cooling system such that you are continually adding more water then the quantity of "ions" you are adding may become significant leading to deposits in harmful places. If you fill your system the once and rarely top up then the number of ions you are putting in is miniscule and can be ignored. Using deionised water in this situation is akin to superstition. IMO.

Edited by system 4-50

I remember seeing a post on a Camping car Forum not to use the red antifreeze on older engines & it listed them but I cannot find the post I don"t know if tne BD3 would be considered an "Old motor" (Its been around a while)but I would stick with the Beta recommended "Blue goo "IIRC it destroyed the head gasket

This is what Beta marine are saying today

"We recommend Ethylene glycol which is normally blue but can sometimes be red as it is just a die. The wording below says Ethylene glycol so more than likely it will be OK so long as it is also compatible with  aluminium, copper-brass, cast iron, steel and solder alloys.

Note

The only problems I have heard with Antifreeze is very occasionally when different antifreezes are mixed they go sludgy ."Make sure all the old anti freeze is cleaned out

The other problem I have had is not enough antifreeze"

Some folk seem to put far too much antifreeze in, thinking the more the merrier in case it gets really cold. Don't do it!!!.  ears ago when I was an apprentice a customer with a Ford Prefect E93A engine thought he'd fill it up with neat Bluecol antifeeze which he'd obviousely nicked from work, he was a lorry driver. We had to tow it in. What a horrid sticky mess, it was everwhere. It had over heated because of it, got past the head gasket, leaking from all the hoses ect. We did all the repairs, drained off the Bluecol and put the correct amount back in. We all had enough antifreeze for our own cars from it.   Retrubution for nicking it.

26 minutes ago, Tonka said:

This is what Beta marine are saying today

"We recommend Ethylene glycol which is normally blue but can sometimes be red as it is just a die. The wording below says Ethylene glycol so more than likely it will be OK so long as it is also compatible with  aluminium, copper-brass, cast iron, steel and solder alloys.

Note

The only problems I have heard with Antifreeze is very occasionally when different antifreezes are mixed they go sludgy ."Make sure all the old anti freeze is cleaned out

The other problem I have had is not enough antifreeze"

That's absolute rubbish, are you sure that Beta really said that? They are normally very competent on technical matters. Was this Beta or just a Beta agent?

Anyway, that anti freeze looks pretty good to me, especially as it does the liner anti-cavity thing (and that they are aware of this). I have spoken to a couple of anti-freeze suppliers on this subject and they have not been able to give an answer.

............Dave

30 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Yes it was direct from Beta Marine via an email

Thats very sad.

They are correct in that almost all antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol and that the colour is a dye, but the big big thing is that conventionally that dye indicates the chemical composition of the  anti-corrosion additive in the anti-freeze and the red stuff is very very different to the blue stuff.

Sometimes yellow or purple is used to indicate "more advanced" versions of the red stuff.

......Dave

24 minutes ago, dmr said:

Thats very sad.

They are correct in that almost all antifreeze is Ethylene Glycol and that the colour is a dye, but the big big thing is that conventionally that dye indicates the chemical composition of the  anti-corrosion additive in the anti-freeze and the red stuff is very very different to the blue stuff.

Sometimes yellow or purple is used to indicate "more advanced" versions of the red stuff.

......Dave

I don’t see what is wrong with what Beta said, apart from failing to advise against mixing blue and red.

8 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

I don’t see what is wrong with what Beta said, apart from failing to advise against mixing blue and red.

Its one of those things that is pedantically correct but would lead a reasonable person to draw an incorrect conclusion because it implies that all antifreezes are the same but just have a dye added at the whim of the manufacturer.

If somebody asks me "is it possible to navigate beyond this lock" I could say yes because it is technically possible, but I should say "The river is on red boards and flowing really hard, it might be very foolish to proceed unless you are very experienced."

................Dave