Morso 1430 ?

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

hi is a Morso 1430 big enough for a 57X10 widebeam and is £850 a good price?  The boats not built yet but i have been offered this at £850 brand new but bought and unpacked a year ago.  Would you go for it?

Phil

No in short. Its a tad too small. My mate had one on his barge which is only 50 x 11 and an engine room out of that at the arse end and whilst it coped he had to thrash it at times, he used it one winter but now has a masport fatso. I had a masport fatso on my 50 foot widebeam they are awesome and can kick out 20kw it does depend on how warm you like ti of course. We rarely like to see less than 23on the thermometer at present its 26 with t shirt on. If you like to freeze like many in houses seem to at about 20 then it may well do the job.

• Greenie 1

19 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

No in short. Its a tad too small. My mate had one on his barge which is only 50 x 11 and an engine room out of that at the arse end and whilst it coped he had to thrash it at times, he used it one winter but now has a masport fatso. I had a masport fatso on my 50 foot widebeam they are awesome and can kick out 20kw it does depend on how warm you like ti of course. We rarely like to see less than 23 73 F on the thermometer at present its 26 79 F with t shirt on. If you like to freeze like many in houses seem to at about 20 68 F then it may well do the job.

corrected that for you.

You also need to budget for flue/chimney collar etc, and a backboiler  if required, and the fitting, and an ecofan

And most folks have two heat sources plus the calorifier.

To get from C to F  double it and add 30

to get from F to C deduct 30 and divide by 2

so comfortable is 70F and 20

warm is 74 and 22

tropical is 80 and 25

Edited by LadyG

Thanks for the replies I decided not to go for the Morso in a hurry as it seems not to be the bargain I was being told it was.  I have however been told not to get a stove with too high an output as working a lower output stove harder keeps the flue in better condition. Is this true?  

5 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Thanks for the replies I decided not to go for the Morso in a hurry as it seems not to be the bargain I was being told it was.  I have however been told not to get a stove with too high an output as working a lower output stove harder keeps the flue in better condition. Is this true?  

Is is true, and a steel bodied stove rather than a trecherous cast iron one is better

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

It’s amazing when you talk to your friends about a particular subject what turns up.  I have now been told about a display Aga Ludlow that is coming out after Christmas http://agastoves.co.uk/aga-stoves/traditional-stoves/ludlow-family/ludlow#sthash.0FJqWiiW.dpbs. It’s never been lit and should be half price.  Are these big enough and are they used on boats.?

On 11/3/2017 at 11:14, bizzard said:

Is is true, and a steel bodied stove rather than a trecherous cast iron one is better

I am now starting to look around at stoves and went to a stove shop today where I wasa told that cast iron stoves are better than steel as they distribute the heat more evenly and the current fires with big windows give out more heat as they are flatter giving more area on the front.  Both points sound like bo**ocks to me as i cant see the heating of two metals being so different and I thought most heat comes from the metal and not the air washed glass.  I am interested however in why some folk prefer steel?  By the way the woman in the shop recommended this stove https://www.gr8fires.co.uk/aarrow-ecoburn-plus-7-kw-flexifuel-multi-fuel-wood-burning-stove

Surprisingly given her advice its steel and small windowed. :)

• Greenie 1

On 02/11/2017 at 15:11, LadyG said:

You also need to budget for flue/chimney collar etc, and a backboiler  if required, and the fitting, and an ecofan

And most folks have two heat sources plus the calorifier.

To get from C to F  double it and add 30

to get from F to C deduct 30 and divide by 2

so comfortable is 70F and 20

warm is 74 and 22

tropical is 80 and 25

Approximately  -40 c is also -40 F

Edited by ditchcrawler

Hi guys I am really enjoying running all of my ideas past you and really appreciate you taking the time to look at them.   This is related to the stove  in that there will be a bedroom situated at the back of the fireplace I was wondering if it would be possible to place a 4 inch diameter hole behind the stove in order to let the heat from the back of the stove transfer into the bedroom.  I visualise a 4 inch hole through the tile and fireproof material and then a 6 inch hole through the wall material with some sort of metal grill across to stop anything transferring through the hole and catching fire on the back of the stove

Phil

1 hour ago, Bromleyxphil said:

Hi guys I am really enjoying running all of my ideas past you and really appreciate you taking the time to look at them.   This is related to the stove  in that there will be a bedroom situated at the back of the fireplace I was wondering if it would be possible to place a 4 inch diameter hole behind the stove in order to let the heat from the back of the stove transfer into the bedroom.  I visualise a 4 inch hole through the tile and fireproof material and then a 6 inch hole through the wall material with some sort of metal grill across to stop anything transferring through the hole and catching fire on the back of the stove

Phil

If you exchange the stoves back panel for a another 1430 front panel and doors then make the hole in the wall a square one and shove the stove halfway through it, you will have the same stove in both rooms and be able to operate it from both sides too. :)

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

If you exchange the stoves back panel for a another 1430 front panel and doors then make the hole in the wall a square one and shove the stove halfway through it, you will have the same stove in both rooms and be able to operate it from both sides too. :)

If I wanted the bedroom that warm believe me I would do it :). I like the bedroom cool but not freezing hence the hole, will I fall foul of any bss rules ?

1 hour ago, Bromleyxphil said:

If I wanted the bedroom that warm believe me I would do it :). I like the bedroom cool but not freezing hence the hole, will I fall foul of any bss rules ?

I don't think so, as long as the bulkhead and hole are fire proofed. As a final embellishment for the hole two round foil pie dishes with the bottoms cut out, one stuck on each side with silicone.  An Aldi Quiche Lorraine foil dish should do the job nicely. I'd go and buy one first, eat it and then measure it so that the hole can be cut to suit.   ETA You would need to buy two pies I'm afraid.  They do work. My stove flue has one around it up on the ceiling, I've also fitted a couple to other peoples flue pipes.

Edited by bizzard
  • Happy 1