Silent Engines

Horatio Sprague

Featured Posts

I am thinking of specifying a Beta 43S Super Silent engine, which is enclosed in an acoustic box and makes for almost silent running. Has any body had any experience of these or similar engines? Are they worth the almost £3500 extra on the basic engine price? Or would it be cheaper to insulate the engine compartment?

I have a Beta 50. I aslo have an acoustic box. It does a good job and makes the boat very quiet and i cruise in this "stealth mode", much apreciating the quietness, and to be honest I would hate to have a boat that is as loud as some that are about"

But!  One can get a little fed up with forever taking the rather heavy sides top and ends of for servicing, especially as the Beta 50 has the oil filter right down on the bottom starboard side of the engine. This means gettin into the swim to change it! But then again, i would have that problem without the cocoon.

If i had the choice and the money, yes. But mine was already fitted when i bought the boat. Maybe i would spend more dosh on sound proofing the hatches and flooring than on a cocoon!

Not much help, I know, but much fun can be had from seeing the expressions on the fishermans faces, when they first see the bow of the boat inches from there rod tips!:lol:

Nipper

We have a semi-trad with a Beta 43 in "standard" form...  I found this pretty noisy so bought some expensive, heavy, sound-deadening acoustic sheets - approx 30mm thick and comprising dense rubber foam sandwiching a sheet of lead about 1.5mm thick with a fireproof thick foil layer on one side(?), and stuck this to the under-side of the floor panels above the engine. The difference was (is) absolutely staggering, to the extent that whilst I have another box to use as well, it is now quiet enough that I haven't bothered in some 3 years. Can't remember how much in cost, but would do again in a heartbeat.

Nick

Edited by Nickhlx

19 minutes ago, Nickhlx said:

We have a semi-trad with a Beta 43 in "standard" form...  I found this pretty noisy so bought some expensive, heavy, sound-deadening acoustic sheets - approx 30mm thick and comprising dense rubber foam sandwiching a sheet of lead about 1.5mm thick with a fireproof thick foil layer on one side(?), and stuck this to the under-side of the floor panels above the engine. The difference was (is) absolutely staggering, to the extent that whilst I have another box to use as well, it is now quiet enough that I haven't bothered in some 3 years. Can't remember how much in cost, but would do again in a heartbeat.

Nick

You have a link to this product ?.

1 hour ago, Glynn said:

You have a link to this product ?.

It’ll be this type stuff: 

http://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/mobile/mca-engine-room-acoustic-foam-insulation-foil-faced-boak/p8605?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eXPBRCtARIsADvOjY126ounJR_pWIXp1lt_azeNY55JB_jnG9pESyXCMhKFs7FPWgMARGkaAsRcEALw_wcB

I’ve used it myself - very impressive. 

We have a Beta 43 fully cocooned engine. On tickler, on the move, it is very quiet. Ours came with travel power included in the package, which was a bonus ans also a hospital silencer. But....the silencer was not fitted by our builder, coz there was no room!

On the whole, pleased with it.

44 minutes ago, johnmck said:

We have a Beta 43 fully cocooned engine. On tickler, on the move, it is very quiet. Ours came with travel power included in the package, which was a bonus ans also a hospital silencer. But....the silencer was not fitted by our builder, coz there was no room!

Our Beta 43 is cocooned and has a hospital silencer.

From anywhere outside the boat it is virtually silent but you can certainly hear it when you are inside. Not so bad that you can't listen to the radio or have a conversation but not silent either.

Thanks for all the advice. Apart from the convenience of having the engine installed in a box, the extra cost of £3500 would pay for the whole boat to be acoustically insulated with change left over! It seems like you can do a pretty effective job by lining the engine room with BOAK insulation for around £200. Also has the advantage of reducing noise from other items in the compartment, such as the diesel heater. Read Yachting Monthly article and try www.ecs-marine-equipment.co.uk

Marine-Soundproofing-YM-article.pdf

37 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Standard Beta 43 with Hospital Silencer is enough to take Anglers unawares.

Yes, had to stop in a bridge hole to get an angler, close on the other side, to move his roach pole; he was amazed to see us.

11 hours ago, johnmck said:

An alternative to the cocooned engine (which to my mind makes sense if the engine is remote from the stern and an hydraulic / electric drive) would be to have the engine freshwater / heat exchanger cooled and then serious sound deadening in the engine bay.

• The water cooling drops the engine noise somewhat
  • and reduces the engine bay temperature
  • can take less room than a hospital silencer., and /or makes layout easier.

You do need a proper mud box - not just a pipe in the hull, so it needs to be done while the hull is being built. Mine's been there for nearly 20 years now and has only blocked once when SWMBO pulled tight into the offside on the Shroppie lock flight.