Grand Union Canal Traffic Records

pete harrison

Featured Posts

21 hours ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

Alan

I am going to Cowley next week on a separate matter & will call in if  the café  is open & ask .

Have you seen the new book out this week =The Twilight years of Narrow Boat Carrying sponsored by Braunston Marina = several unseen 

Photographs from the Mike Webb collection. one you may have seen before  Flamingo  & Beverley in July 1970

I am pretty sure that photograph has been published before :captain:

On 11/25/2017 at 23:42, jeannette smith harrison said:

Have you seen the new book out this week =The Twilight years of Narrow Boat Carrying sponsored by Braunston Marina = several unseen 

Photographs from the Mike Webb collection. one you may have seen before  Flamingo  & Beverley in July 1970

No not seen the book yet Jeannette, (and we unfortunately missed the HNBC social where they were selling it.

A copy now ordered from the HNBC, (cheaper than from Audlem Mill).

If a picture claims Flamingo & Beverley in 1970, I'm not sure the date is correct.  All evidence I have of Flamingo pairing in 1970 is with Cygnus.  (It was paired with Beverley in very late 1968 & in much of 1969).

Edited by alan_fincher

3 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

If a picture claims Flamingo & Beverley in 1970, I'm not sure the date is correct.  All evidence I have of Flamingo pairing in 1970 is with Cygnus.  (It was paired with Beverley in very late 1968 & in much of 1969).

2 hours ago, archie57 said:

The date must be incorrect as Ron Green ( who appears in the picture ) knocked off boating in 1968

In light of the traffic records I have recently acquired I now know the date is incorrect, but that date is what was written by Mike Webb to accompany this photograph and to a large extent I had to trust these to be correct.

It is very difficult to be absolutely accurate with finite details with only a limited amount of information and I am quite sure that there will be a number of fairly minor errors (and hopefully no real big errors), but the important thing to Mikes widow, Maria, is that these photographs have become available :captain:

Edited by pete harrison
  • Greenie 1

There may be minor discrepancies in a date or two, but, do you know what? I am just grateful to see all these pictures released for enthusiasts to savour. I am looking forward to showing this book to Mike this week.

There must be many pictures of the past locked away in private collections which will never be aired.

Edited by Ray T

Have just got back from Cowley Lock with ref to the case in the tea room (Toll house) 

the locked display case holds a record book but not the one that was there some time back .

The chap that leases the building said that the case & contents are part of the building & he does not have a key for the case 

or any other books or documentations on the premises he has had lots of people calling in on the belief that there are other record there 

but has been told  that Uxbridge library hold some records 

102_1450.JPG

• Greenie 1

22 minutes ago, jeannette smith harrison said:

Have just got back from Cowley Lock with ref to the case in the tea room (Toll house) 

the locked display case holds a record book but not the one that was there some time back .

The chap that leases the building said that the case & contents are part of the building & he does not have a key for the case 

or any other books or documentations on the premises he has had lots of people calling in on the belief that there are other record there 

but has been told  that Uxbridge library hold some records 

Thank you very much for following this up. 

I am not quite sure what the book in the case is but it looks to be of very little value to my current research, but I shall bear it in mind for the future :captain: