RCD

Mike Todd

Featured Posts

On ‎02‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 21:03, David Mack said:

Earlier this year we witnessed a middle aged man fall into the GU. Despite many hands being available on the towpath and him being unhurt we could not pull him out onto the piled bank. Problem only solved when a ladder was borrowed from one of the boats present.

If no ladder is available it may be easier for the dunkee to climb out on the offside, where the water is likely to be shallower, even if the help is all on the towpath.

There was a similar post about a year ago on here from a forum member who had fallen in I don't recall who it was. However I immediately bought a ladder off ebay that folds and will hang off my boat or be made straight to go into the side of the canal in case of emergency. About 35 squiddlys delivered from fleabay. Tis on my roof as I type. Obviously be no good to a single hander who has already fallen in, in the middle of nowhere.

Its not just the weight of a fully clothed person its the fact the canal is very rarely anywhere near warm and when the cold hits and shock sets in, the blood supply goes to the organs , so the muscles are starved of oxygen leading to fatigue in a very short time if not hypothermia, so within minutes the effort to get out is lost....  there arent many summers go by when someone doesnt drown cooling off in a river, canal or lake not realising the effects of shock.

Rick

If you do fall in the advice is to try to calm yourself and re-gain control of your breathing before trying to swim towards the boat/bank. Apparently people can drown due to breathing in water while still in panic.

Difficult to do in practice I expect.

If someone has fallen in they should be watched carefully for several hours after rescue  as there may be a risk of secondary drowning.

Edited by MartynG

14 hours ago, MartynG said:

It's when you have taken in some water and later develop breathing difficulties. It's rare , but possible.

More common in salt water, where the fluid comes from the body by osmosis, rather than being ingested.