overplating

Featured Posts

On 27/12/2017 at 20:26, Keeping Up said:

We only needed to have the sides over-plated because the bottom plate was originally built as a half inch (12.5mm) thick, which is why we don't have any ballast (because the bottom itself is so heavy) and also that is why the increase in draft was about 1"

The sides were originally 6 mm thick and the over-plating was also 6 mm, from the baseplate to just above the water line.

Despite the expense of the work I am sure that the repaired boat is still worth considerably less than it was before the problems started 2 years ago.

Hi Allan,  When you had your boats sides overplated,how much internal stripping out [if any] did you have to do?

I have been told by some people that the heat from welding the outside can damage or even set fire to interior fittings.I am relatively new to steel boats and have listened to lots of advice [usually conflicting] from more experienced boaters,so I would like to get it from the horse's mouth as it were.

Thanks in advance,  Terry.

44 minutes ago, Furness said:

Hi Allan,  When you had your boats sides overplated,how much internal stripping out [if any] did you have to do?

I have been told by some people that the heat from welding the outside can damage or even set fire to interior fittings.I am relatively new to steel boats and have listened to lots of advice [usually conflicting] from more experienced boaters,so I would like to get it from the horse's mouth as it were.

My boat was overplated - sole and sides - by Kedian late last year (his last overplate of the year), a quick search will find the thread and some nice photos of the work in progress.

The weld line is visible on the interior faces of the hull so some heat was transferred (understandably) but apparently Martin welds in short sections to minimise the localised heating.  As the hull side insulation on the boat is Rockwool fire risk is minimal but I had been assured that the method used minimised risk and no stripping out was required.

I still have to remove some ballast to allow for the additional weight (project to do in the next few weeks - the floor is plywood panels and it will be 'fun' getting out 2 foot square paving slabs from underneath) of the plating but otherwise am very pleased with the work done and the way in which it was done.

Hope this helps a little, Terry.

2 hours ago, Furness said:

This is what happened when I had some patches welded onto a sprayfoamed hull.

11 minutes ago, David Mack said:

This is what happened when I had some patches welded onto a sprayfoamed hull.

Is your "This is what happened..." a backwards reference to the possibility of catching fire or a forwards reference to your link below in which you say it does not catch fire?

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Is your "This is what happened..." a backwards reference to the possibility of catching fire or a forwards reference to your link below in which you say it does not catch fire?

I took it to mean quite literally “this is what happened”. In other words, not very much. 

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

???

Furness asked if welding could damage or set fire to interior fittings. So I simply pointed him to an earlier post of mine that addressed the point.

9 hours ago, Furness said:

Hi Terry

This was a major worry for us as stripping the interior woodwork was not a realistic option. Our insulation is not Rockwool which is inherently fireproof, nor is it Sprayfoam which I believe is specified to be fire resistant (someone else may be able to give more accurate details) but instead it is lined with 2 layers of polystyrene foam of unknown specification. Initial tests showed that if you get it really hot it will smoulder and could possibly even burn, but moderate heat will merely (!) char and melt it. However a quick and skilful weld can leave only a slightly shrunken thin black line as a memento.

Clearly the procedure was going to be risky so throughout the whole process a second person stayed inside the boat with a fire extinguisher in his hand. Even this was risky because a further test showed that any trace of excess heat caused the inside of the boat to fill rapidly with smoke that was probably toxic so that he would have had to abandon the boat anyway. The alternative (for which they were fully prepared) would have been to seal all the vents and flood the boat with carbon dioxide at all times.

With great care (he is a VERY experienced welder) and with constant communication between him and the person holding the extinguisher inside, Grahame completed the whole job without any untoward incidents.

10 hours ago, Ratkatcher said:

I still have to remove some ballast to allow for the additional weight (project to do in the next few weeks - the floor is plywood panels and it will be 'fun' getting out 2 foot square paving slabs from underneath) of the plating but otherwise am very pleased with the work done and the way in which it was done.

Hope this helps a little, Terry.

A big hammer helps

On 02/01/2018 at 21:48, KEDIAN said:

Should you want to chat this process through please feel free to get in touch  best wishes Martin 

Thank you Kedian.I have just looked at your website and found that most of my questions about overplating have been answered.

I only wish that I had been aware of Canal net and your website  BEFORE I bought my boat.    Many thanks, 

• Greenie 1

• 1 year later...
On 28/12/2017 at 23:00, Mike the Boilerman said:

Thank you and just as I thought.

Which is why I asked Balding to expand on the sloppy statement, and pressed CT to cite a source for his assertion.

(I am imagining Balding is the author of the report he linked to.)

(Spelling edit.)

No,  I bought the boat and had a surveyor from Newcastle, he’s the guy who informed me Spoilerman