Cooking pot

Timx

Featured Posts

Hi, I have a Morso stove and soon it will be lit during the day for hours on end in winter, so instead of reinventing the wheel ,has anyone any suggestions for a pot that would sit tidily on wood burning stove to be left all day, preferably a kidney shaped type thing that would fit around the chimney to give more efficient space. I was thinking of starting something off traditionally on gas hob then transferring to cook all day on top of wood burner stove. Trouble is there is not much room, hence the question Sure people must do this , so looking for a reccomendations.will add pic, as chimney is in middle of fire,image.jpeg.d7a09ed5dee9d00f96e7c2a4c038a184.jpegenot giving a lot of room.?

Hmm thanks,that did cross my mind, I mean in the way, it wouldn't be left unattended as in so much it's on top of stove when I'm travelling along, but banging into a lock wall I suppose could cause problems etc, so anything kidney shaped that could securely be left on when boat is stationary that people use, or maybe people don't, I'm still learning winter boating(plus the other seasons). Just seems a source of energy to be used ,maybe not.

17 minutes ago, Timx said:

Hmm thanks,that did cross my mind, I mean in the way, it wouldn't be left unattended as in so much it's on top of stove when I'm travelling along, but banging into a lock wall I suppose could cause problems etc, so anything kidney shaped that could securely be left on when boat is stationary that people use, or maybe people don't, I'm still learning winter boating(plus the other seasons). Just seems a source of energy to be used ,maybe not.

Ahh sorry my mistake I thought you were one of those poor sods who had to leave your boat during the day. If you are onboard its a great way to cook. We use and have found to be a good bet over the years something with a very thick base in cast iron or alloy. Present one is heavy alloy and it doesn't budge. You could always fix some sort of fiddle rail to the stove if you wished.

I do all sorts of stews and cassy rolls in the winter on the Squirrel,  along with baking things, soups and jacket spuddlylies.

As I might be away for most of the day if working, I will not leave anything on all day, but will cook from scratch on it if at home all day.

59 minutes ago, Richard T said:

We bought a square alloy pot from Wilkos - not cheap but does the job. Being square makes better use of the stove top. http://www.wilko.com/casserole+stockpots/wilko-die-cast-casserole-square-aluminium-28cm/invt/0328823  

It comes in two sizes 28 and 20cm.

That is the one I have got generally use it with a trivet 

15 minutes ago, Aground said:

As an alternative you could have a look at mrdscookware.co.uk    No connection to the company but friends who are keen campervanners recommend them.

They’re excellent :)

I cook a bit on mine, i found you need to create an air gap between pot and stove, otherwise the bottom of the pot gets to hot and burns the food.

I use a standard ceramic casserole dish with lid, then put some steel/metal bars under it to lift an inch, it slows down the cooking also, as direct will cook quite quickly if your fire is high.

jacket spuds cook quickly in the stove also, double wrap and place to one side, best to put a brick on one side of the stove and sit the spud on that so its not direct on coals, keep checking and turning.

I warm pies also, just sit them on foil and then again on bars to create a gap, go a couple of inches and let the heat pass through the pie, can take a while though.

We're much the same as others. We had a struggle to find the right pot because of the limited space between the flue and the fiddled edge of our Bubble corner stove stove, which was just too tight for the common 20cm base. In the end I found an 18cm stainless steel pot with a thick encapsulated copper bottom, nice and deep and with a glass top. The thick bottom prevents the contents from catching when the stove is working hard and the glass top makes it easy to see how things are coming along without loosing heat if your fire's just ticking over and you're in slow cooker mode. It's a quality bit of kit but was sub 20 quid in TKMaxx. We've had some lovely stews, etc, from it. Don't forget to add the jacket spuds in foil atop your fire bricks! A flight of locks when winter cruising is a nicer prospect when you know your effort-free lunch will be one of those! 

I bring my stew to the boil in a creuset pot on the gas cooker and then transfer it to the top of the stove. The cast iron holds the heat for slow cooking and an enamelled inside stops anything sticking. Works best when the stove's on a slow tick over and the longer you're able to leave it the better.  

It's  a heavy pot and least likely to slide. Done locks with it on the stove. 

At the moment I've got lumps of oxtail simmering gently while I have a pub pint. The longer I stay drinking the better it will taste. And reheated for a few more hours tomorrow it will be fantastic. 

Kidney shaped pots? Never been able to find one. You can fix a rail around the stove edge if worried about pots sliding off. 

Also put your kettle on the stove between boiling on the gas.