Where and why

jocave

Featured Posts

Not so much a question more of advice needed, I currently have a boat moored up on the Lancaster canal, it suits us pretty much OK at the moment, its an hour and a half drive but don't mind that as it makes us feel as we are actually going away, as my wife's MS is getting worse I am thinking something closer to home would be better, we live about 5 miles from the Llangollen canal , so the travelling would be much reduced, thing is I/we have no real urge to travel great distances and don't mind just a few hours cruising a day , we have never navigated a lock and have no desire to, we are looking for somewhere to move our boat too that has a few hours cruising that involves no locks, is there anywhere north wales,Cheshire that would allow us a few hours afloat that has a a couple of hours cruising without going through a lock?? 

There's a few vacant spots on our farm mooring on the lower Macclesfield.  You've got an hour and a bit to Bosley in one direction, the other way there's a stop lock but you can get down through the Harecastle to the lake at Stoke or to the bottom of the Caldon before you hit locks that way, plenty of places to turn, boatyards in easy reach.

Alternatively, on the upper Macc above Bosley, there are no locks at all up to the top of the Peak Forest so there are a few places to moor half way which would give you an easy run both ways.  A few swing bridges, but it's a narrow canal so they aren't hard work.

5 minutes ago, jocave said:

Not so much a question more of advice needed, I currently have a boat moored up on the Lancaster canal, it suits us pretty much OK at the moment, its an hour and a half drive but don't mind that as it makes us feel as we are actually going away, as my wife's MS is getting worse I am thinking something closer to home would be better, we live about 5 miles from the Llangollen canal , so the travelling would be much reduced, thing is I/we have no real urge to travel great distances and don't mind just a few hours cruising a day , we have never navigated a lock and have no desire to, we are looking for somewhere to move our boat too that has a few hours cruising that involves no locks, is there anywhere north wales,Cheshire that would allow us a few hours afloat that has a a couple of hours cruising without going through a lock?? 

The top end of the Llangollen, moor in Chirk marina?

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

There's a few vacant spots on our farm mooring on the lower Macclesfield.  You've got an hour and a bit to Bosley in one direction, the other way there's a stop lock but you can get down through the Harecastle to the lake at Stoke or to the bottom of the Caldon before you hit locks that way, plenty of places to turn, boatyards in easy reach.

Alternatively, on the upper Macc above Bosley, there are no locks at all up to the top of the Peak Forest so there are a few places to moor half way which would give you an easy run both ways.  A few swing bridges, but it's a narrow canal so they aren't hard work.

Thanks that sounds like it could work ,I'll have a Google

5 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

The top end of the Llangollen, moor in Chirk marina?

Floating pontoons are a no no unfortunately ,already checked that out as its pretty close to us, needs to be reasonably wheelchair friendly which Chirk is not, shame really as that would be perfect for us

11 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Any facilities? :)

11 hours ago, zenataomm said:

I think this is in your area .....

Bunbury to Hack Green on The Shroppie plus the Middlewhich branch to Cholmondeston gives you oodles of miles.

There are 4 locks on the Middlewich branch.

Oops just noticed you said "to Cholmondston"

Edited by cuthound

17 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Bridgewater Canal has no locks. Not sure about wheelchair friendly moorings, but someone will know.

Yes, I was going to suggest the Bridgewater. Lots of pleasant lock-free cruising and a cheaper licence fee.

10 hours ago, cuthound said:

There are 4 locks on the Middlewich branch.

Oops just noticed you said "to Cholmondston"

How do you pronounce that?  Chumston? Chomston? Chuston?

Sorry:offtopic:

1 hour ago, zenataomm said:

I used to run The Bickerton Poacher the other side of Bunbury back in the 80s.

Our telephone exchange was Cholmondeston, I can confirm it was pronounced "Chumley" 

Tom Rolt in either Narrow Boat or Landscape with Canals reckons he found a local who not only pronounced all the syllables but added an extra one: "Chollermondeston". Rolt was tied at Church Minshull for much of the war whilst he worked in a Rolls Royce factory.

8 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Tom Rolt in either Narrow Boat or Landscape with Canals reckons he found a local who not only pronounced all the syllables but added an extra one: "Chollermondeston". Rolt was tied at Church Minshull for much of the war whilst he worked in a Rolls Royce factory.

The first CMer :)

• Greenie 1

16 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

I was thinking of the same story. Probably a local winding up the outsider!

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Our telephone exchange was Cholmondeston, I can confirm it was pronounced "Chumley" 

Really? well in that case....

Obviously it wasn't me who bought a take out of  half a dozen bottles of Newcastle Brown with pockets full of change, whilst camping in the scout cottage up the road, nope it definitely wasn't me and if it was me, which it wasn't I was definitely over 18 at the time ;)

Edited by tree monkey

2 hours ago, zenataomm said:

Are you sure you are not getting mixed up with Cholmondeley (which is pronounced Chumley) and is a little nearer to Bunbury than Cholmondeston (which is pronounced Chumston)

• Greenie 1

I never get mixed up.

Confused to hell and so unforgetful that I am known to start a conversation with total confidence that I am 100% ..... ummmm .... you know.

16 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Really? well in that case....

Obviously it wasn't me who bought a take out of  half a dozen bottles of Newcastle Brown with pockets full of change, whilst camping in the scout cottage up the road, nope it definitely wasn't me and if it was me, which it wasn't I was definitely over 18 at the time ;)

It's no point asking for the deposit back on the bottles, it's too late now.

Thanks for all the advice ,sorry for not quoting you all individually but all the suggestions have been noted and we are currently researching each area, we do really need a marina mooring though with at least basic facilities which I am struggling to find..

I moor at Park Farm Marina, from there I can reach the outskirts of Middlewich, Dutton,just before Preston Brook Tunnel or even down the Anderton Lift to the Weaver and Northwich. The marina has full length pontoons, electricity and water, it dosen't have toilets or showers or club house. Martin calls in once every 2 weeks selling diesel. http://www.parkfarm-marina.co.uk/