Shiny Boater Mooring

Rob-M

Featured Posts

12 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

Having been guilty of that particular crime yesterday, in my defence I would say that since there is only one water point at Nantwich services, two boats can't fill at the same time anyway. As an additional defence, when I arrived there some muppet was fishing on the sanitary station moorings :huh:

Last time we were there one boat was using the shower for two people (so there some time) and they moved to the end when we arrived so we could take water

I like to share rings, but I always ask whenever someone's onboard. I do so because, much as I agree with the thrust of this thread, it would be just as likely to see a post that says: "There I was on the empty VMs at wherever and some Numpty moored so close he used the same ring".  If no-one else turns up, he may even appear to have a point, unless later on when the world and his wife arrive to illustrate your reasoning. 

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I like to share rings, but I always ask whenever someone's onboard. I do so because, much as I agree with the thrust of this thread, it would be just as likely to see a post that says: "There I was on the empty VMs at wherever and some Numpty moored so close he used the same ring".  If no-one else turns up, he may even appear to have a point, unless later on when the world and his wife arrive to illustrate your reasoning. 

But you don't know if its going to stay empty

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Well, apparently the bloke I moored next to at Ansty at 1pm did. He knew it would stay empty until 5 pm, even though I had just moored up for lunch one side of him and someone else had already done the same the other side, albeit leaving a large gap.

Unfortunately (because I was keen to prove him wrong) the gap remained unused when I left at 2pm but whether it did until 5 pm I don't know.

34 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

There are some vm's where I know damn well it will stay empty or nearly so.  You can usually tell the popular ones using common sense.  Is there a pub nearby?  Is there a shop nearby?  Another consideration is when there's nowhere else nearby to moor.  The other day I was on the pontoon just upstream of Diglis lock on the Severn.  The pontoon was full except for a 55' length at one end, right next to where I was.  I went down to the lock mooring for an hour to fill with water, leaving a space of around 110'.  Now I knew that two boats might turn up in that hour or a 60'+ long boat and I'd not be able to get back on.  When I returned, a 30' yoghurt pot had arrived, plonked themselves slap-bang in the middle of the 110' gap leaving 2 x 40' spaces.  The only alternative places to moor were up at the racecourse on the pay&display moorings or up 2 locks onto the canal.  I was single-handing but got myself awkwardly tied on against a strong current and shifted the yoghurt pot.  Then I moored up properly.  Half an hour later the squawking crew of the plastic boat came back and zoomed off.  They couldn't have been there more than an hour.  Clearly they weren't being deliberately awkward, they just had no common sense and/or no consideration for anyone else.

Edited by Dave_P

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Last time we were there one boat was using the shower for two people (so there some time) and they moved to the end when we arrived so we could take water

After I'd finished emptying the Elsans that's what I did (filling the water tank took a whole lot longer).

2 hours ago, Dave_P said:

I'd always assumed Mr S Melly.  Roger's brother.

Is he on the telly too?

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Well they need to get a bloomin grip then innitt :banghead: everybody should be made to buy a proper sized boat and see what its like when there are only gaps big enough for midget boats anyway :argue:

Yes, exactly, yes.

One no more than 7ft wide.

2 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Well they need to get a bloomin grip then innitt :banghead: everybody should be made to buy a proper sized boat and see what its like when there are only gaps big enough for midget boats anyway :argue:

For clarification a midget boat is sub 68 feet and a proper boat is anything 68 feet or over B)

In that case we have a proper boat, and of course one with 2 proper loo's both pump outs:D

Sue

9 minutes ago, Ray T said:

Imagine telling this lot "You're mooring too close to me."

17190925_1251629424951936_7425750607411043212_n.jpg

In a " Realistic " used condition as they were in real life without a bloomin great polished Frances lamp on. Nice to see.

11 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We moored in centre of Banbury last week and it wasn't rammed but several there. I parked ours and as always used the same ring as the boat I parked next to I then looked at the other boats and not one other had done it there was a waste of 20 plus feet between every other moored boat along the whole stretch :banghead:

Done the same in Banbury only for the other boat on the ring to move forward to next ring. On a busy Saturday as well.

4 minutes ago, bastion said:

Done the same in Banbury only for the other boat on the ring to move forward to next ring. On a busy Saturday as well.

That's cos he knew it was you :lol: Ive had to move a hell of a way from you ;)

Edited by mrsmelly

54 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

In a " Realistic " used condition as they were in real life without a bloomin great polished Frances lamp on. Nice to see.

'Working clothes' its called in traction engine circles.

ETA I quite like the BW era blue and yellow colours. Is the photo Brentford layby?

Edited by Victor Vectis

11 hours ago, system 4-50 said:

A couple of months ago I counted 11 consecutive boats moored together leaving one ring to ring space between each. (Nantwich). Is this a record?

No its the norm today, standards in boating have fallen the same as everywhere else in life. Just look at the boats passing you with mooring fenders dangling all day and without the ability to pass you on tickover etc etc.

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

No its the norm today, standards in boating have fallen the same as everywhere else in life. Just look at the boats passing you with mooring fenders dangling all day and without the ability to pass you on tickover etc etc.

I know it is very common but I don't really get why. Surely those same boaters must get frustrated at times when they can't fit in because other boaters have been selfish or thoughtless. 

Or perhaps they want everyone else to moor considerately but CBA to do the same themselves as the benefit goes to others, not to them.