Shiny Boater Mooring

Rob-M

Featured Posts

Spotted in Fradley today the recently painted shiny boat leaving plenty of space rather than sharing rings. No wonder they only boat in the winter otherwise they may have to get close to another boat.

IMG_20171029_140313292.jpg.c2b886ce5527c6899b09e3d784521d30.jpg

Nice to meet you today Tim and paintwork looked very good. Shame we had to drive back to Bristol and couldn't join you in the Mucky Duck.

18 minutes ago, billS said:

Or perhaps they were moored next to boats who subsequently moved away, or perhaps the boat at the end left the space? Or perhaps you know them?

Hes taking the bloomin pee.......it was me and I had moored right next to another boat which sodded off just before he took this bloomin foto and he was giggling knowing he was going to do this :lol:

I HATE people that don't use the same ring on vms but err I was in the pub when the other boat moved mlud honest. Stop for beer next time Rob :)

• Haha 1

We moored in centre of Banbury last week and it wasn't rammed but several there. I parked ours and as always used the same ring as the boat I parked next to I then looked at the other boats and not one other had done it there was a waste of 20 plus feet between every other moored boat along the whole stretch :banghead:

12 hours ago, The Bearwood Boster said:

This has happened to us & you end up looking like Percy Plonker. You then have to move your nicely moored boat so you don't look as if you're moored like a t***.

You can just leave the twat gap for smaller boats like ours. :D

13 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Spotted in Fradley today the recently painted shiny boat leaving plenty of space rather than sharing rings. No wonder they only boat in the winter otherwise they may have to get close to another boat.

IMG_20171029_140313292.jpg.c2b886ce5527c6899b09e3d784521d30.jpg

Nice to meet you today Tim and paintwork looked very good. Shame we had to drive back to Bristol and couldn't join you in the Mucky Duck.

What else would you expect with a name like Mr Smelly?

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think his name is Mrs Melly.

I think his name is Tim but he once had a dog called Mr Smelly - anyway "What else would you expect with a name like Mrs Melly?" doesn't really work

Edited by Midnight
oops cross posted

3 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

We moored in centre of Banbury last week and it wasn't rammed but several there. I parked ours and as always used the same ring as the boat I parked next to I then looked at the other boats and not one other had done it there was a waste of 20 plus feet between every other moored boat along the whole stretch :banghead:

I told a boater do that last week, to be met with "are you sure, you are using that ring, sure you dont mind, etc"

I moored for lunch opposite the pub garden in Ansty a few weeks ago. I try to be a considerate boater so I pulled my stern close to the stern of the boat we'd just passed in to maximise the space to the next boat along.

The bloke on the boat then came out, in his dressing gown at 1pm, and asked me to move. When I explained why I moored so close (just for 1 hour!) be said no other boats would moor there until after 5pm (no idea how he knew this) and reckoned I was ignorant. Mrs LR suggested I just move a bit but, being ignorant, I refused. In fact, I was tempted to stay for the night, as he had given me such a friendly welcome, but didn't as I wanted off the Oxford and onto the Ashby asap.

When we came by again almost 2 weeks later he was still there. Strange place to moor if you don't want other boats nearby.

I'd love to name and shame the dark (black?) boat but I couldn't see a name. I thought walking along to check his licence might be pushing my luck.

• Happy 1

21 minutes ago, Midnight said:

I think his name is Tim but he once had a dog called Mr Smelly - anyway "What else would you expect with a name like Mrs Melly?" doesn't really work

I'd always assumed Mr S Melly.  Roger's brother.

The simple rule is:  If it's a busy vm, squeeze up.  If it's a single boat in the middle of nowhere, don't.

Many people seem unable to grasp why.

12 minutes ago, Dave_P said:

The simple rule is:  If it's a busy vm, squeeze up.  If it's a single boat in the middle of nowhere, don't.

Many people seem unable to grasp why.

Precisely my view so what the hell is wrong with what seems to be the majority of boaters? :unsure:

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Precisely my view so what the hell is wrong with what seems to be the majority of boaters? :unsure:

Most of them are English, and thus reserved and polite by nature, so they feel that leaving a 20-foot gap is a courtesy. This may sometimes be misguided, but their motives are good.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

Most of them are English, and thus reserved and polite by nature, so they feel that leaving a 20-foot gap is a courtesy. This may sometimes be misguided, but their motives are good.

Well they need to get a bloomin grip then innitt :banghead: everybody should be made to buy a proper sized boat and see what its like when there are only gaps big enough for midget boats anyway :argue:

For clarification a midget boat is sub 68 feet and a proper boat is anything 68 feet or over B)

4 hours ago, dor said:

What annoys me is where you have a water point that can take two 60+ft boats when a plonker ties up bang in the middle.  Often see it at Nantwich.

Having been guilty of that particular crime yesterday, in my defence I would say that since there is only one water point at Nantwich services, two boats can't fill at the same time anyway. As an additional defence, when I arrived there some muppet was fishing on the sanitary station moorings :huh: