Possibly stolen boat on the T&M

wandering snail

Featured Posts

Posted (not by me) an hour ago on a fb canal group:

Just seen something worrying.....two young men driving approx 40ft nb like lunatics on T&M @ bridge 65 in Rugeley. They were zigzagging like crazy, smashing into bank and bridge. They were going so fast the wash was slamming over banks. I yelled them to slow down and they ignored me. Not sure they understood. Their engine was billowing smoke. Really looked like a 'driven like stolen'. Mid green boat, red and white stern with brass umbrella tiller pin. Couldn't see anymore due to their smoke. Heading up to armitage .

Edited by wandering snail

Thank you for reporting this. It may, of course, be a theft, or simply an inexperienced crew, perhaps with extra added alcohol.

Whichever is the case, the Armitage "tunnel" may significantly slow them down.

Hmmm all the symptoms of steering the boat with the throttle set to MAXIMUM.

Either an extremely inexperienced crew or rat pished. Possibly both.

Green with red and white stern hardly narrows it down much though, 30% of the boats on the cut match this!

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Green with red and white stern hardly narrows it down much though, 30% of the boats on the cut match this!

Yes indeed, but very few of those progress at 6 m.p.h. via both banks!

Edited by Athy

On 29/10/2017 at 15:12, mrsmelly said:

People who nick boats or indeed anything else rarely like to draw attention to themselves. My money if I had any would be on alcohol or weed.

I can't imagine it being weed. That (or either type) would slow them down!

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

People who nick boats or indeed anything else rarely like to draw attention to themselves. My money if I had any would be on alcohol or weed.

This is why it's important to check that your weed hatch is properly secured before cruising! 

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I can't imagine it being weed. That (or either type) would slow them down!

Ahh yes quite right..............alcohol then :D

5 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

This is why it's important to check that your weed hatch is properly secured before cruising! 

:P

On 29/10/2017 at 15:19, Sea Dog said:

The weed hatch always strikes me as very poorly designed. It makes it very damp and difficult to light. 

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The weed hatch always strikes me as very poorly designed. It makes it very damp and difficult to light. 

I can see how that could be a problem. Actually, I think the weed hatch is pretty useless - mrsmelly mentioned alcohol or weed, and I have tried keeping white wine cool in there, but it's simply not secure enough or a good enough hiding place. By the time you've finished cruising, gone below for a wee and then gone back aft  to get the bottle, it's always gone!  I know someone's pinching it, cos I've lowered it in there suspended securely on a cord so it's hardly even visible - they still take the bottle.

• Haha 2

Had the boat been heading north west, I would have suggested it was one that passed us earlier today. 

05.40 this morning a boat came past us, North of Hopwas, heading for Fradley, it passed at full speed. Didn’t see the name of the boat as it was pitch black. Two (sounded young) men talking loudly. At the time I just thought not very kind to wake us and other nearby boaters.  

3 minutes ago, MHS said:

Had the boat been heading north west, I would have suggested it was one that passed us earlier today. 

05.40 this morning a boat came past us, North of Hopwas, heading for Fradley, it passed at full speed. Didn’t see the name of the boat as it was pitch black. Two (sounded young) men talking loudly. At the time I just thought not very kind to wake us and other nearby boaters.  

Probably Matty getting an early start.

14 minutes ago, MHS said:

Yep it sure did, we parked at Hopwas last night and had a beer in the excuse for a pub called The Tame otter. Boat went past very early this morning.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Yep it sure did, we parked at Hopwas last night and had a beer in the excuse for a pub called The Tame otter. Boat went past very early this morning.

We were just north of Hopwas Wood and Tamhorn Park Bridge so 15minutes after you. 

2 hours ago, MHS said:

I didn't leave Alvecote until 6am and you wouldn't have woken up if it was me :lol:

8 hours ago, MHS said:

Is that a threat?!?! :P

I passed at least 4 forum members yesterday, and they are all still alive to tell the tale... ( unless mrsmelly got a lock - in at the muckyduck).

My boat is rather to obvious for me to annoy people, .....it's also how I like to move other people boats as well.:D

Thank goodness, for a while I thought you were the Phantom Raspberry Blower of old Hopwas town. 

I was shivering with fear last night. Correction, it was cold overnight and we’re still using a 4 tog duvet.