Securing rear doors

Featured Posts

I went to have a good look around a nearly finished boat at my boatbuilder yesterday so now can start to work through my problems before mine is built.  I intend to lock the sliding hatch with a simple recessed bar that lifts up into the hatch top and slides over the front lip to open and drops into a u shape section on the front face to close.  The rear doors open outwards and I don’t like the look of the tags with holes in on the pictured boat.  It doesn’t look easy to lock the rear doors particularly at the top.  I have searched and read lots of posts this morning but not found an answer, lots of threads are difficult to follow with the now lack of Dropbox images.  Any good ideas or pictures of how you secure your rear doors?

Phil

8176D2E0-E4CF-41DE-A2E9-39F69DC9C96A.jpeg

I'd recommend a robust security padlock that hides the bar and connect it to a robust hasp.

If they want to get into your boat, they will.  They more difficult you make it they more expensive damage they'll do.  No boat is impossible to break into.

Make it time consuming so they'll move off down to find easier prey.

On my home mooring I don't actually lock my boat, also I leave nothing of value on board.

When away from the boat on a trip I do lock it, and hang a sign that says due to numerous break ins the interior is booby trapped, it will hurt, you will bleed and I'll have a copy of your DNA. I'm not saying here how I booby trap it, and I know the sign is illegal because it is written in English. However I can not find an international sign for spring loaded razor wire.

The best tip is do not lock anything inside the boat, once on they'll smash any cupboard they find as clearly you've hidden something in there.

• Happy 1

I have this arrangement on our back doors, very secure. You could use Enfield garage door locks, they are quite bulky but strong, secure and can be opened from both inside and out. This is useful as it doesn't announce the fact that you are not at home. 

20171028_124245.jpg

20171028_124306.jpg

• Happy 1

21 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

What prevents someone sliding the flat bar to the left or right to clear the pieces at each end and the just using the length of the round tube to bend it upwards?  Of course the  tube might be solid bar.

The bar is solid stainless and it would probably be easier to bend the boat! The tolerance of the holes is quite tight and the lug containing the hole in the bar is at a slight angle, these minimise any side play. The choice of padlock further limits both movement and prevents access for bolt croppers. In the end it is stronger than the wooden back cabin that it is attached to. 

Edited by BWM
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Tony Brooks said:

Thanks, I supsected that was it. I think I would have been tempted to weld a boss on top of the "staple" on the slide.

How would that work? I'm all for any improvement in security. 

My advice is never put any padlocks etc on show when securing your boat you are just SHOUTING OUT hey I am not home take your time and smash your way in. Best are simple key operated locks as with any other kind of door. As stated by others said scumbags will get in if they want to anyway and big locks just means more damage. The best security by a country mile is a big dog.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

My advice is never put any padlocks etc on show when securing your boat you are just SHOUTING OUT hey I am not home take your time and smash your way in. Best are simple key operated locks as with any other kind of door. As stated by others said scumbags will get in if they want to anyway and big locks just means more damage. The best security by a country mile is a big dog.

I agree with this. My boat came with long flat steel bars front and rear,  that can be padlocked over hoops to secure both front and back doors, in addition to normal door locks.

The previous owner said he had been broken into twice, both times they smashed one of large saloon windows. He then replaced these with laminated glass.

I haven't used the security bars in three and a half years of ownership, as I have the same philosophy on security as you. 

10 minutes ago, Bromleyxphil said:

thanks for all of the info and the pics guys. I also found this example and will show you pics on this thread of the solution I actually use.

Photo5B.jpg

I’m surprised many more don’t use this method, although I would use the hook type of mortise so you can’t lift the hatch.

4 minutes ago, Robbo said:

I’m surprised many more don’t use this method, although I would use the hook type of mortise so you can’t lift the hatch.

Mine's like the one in Bromleyxphil's photo. I like it because it doesn't look different whether your onboard or away from your boat whereas, as Mrsmelly pointed out, a padlock rather highlights the latter.

The other similarity with mine I'd the hook arrangement as the open door holdback. I despise this paint-chipping arrangement and would dearly love a more elegant solution, possibly involving something magnetic.

2 hours ago, KEDIAN said:

8EDE9E54-CDC5-40B6-A453-4099A92A9450.jpeg

119D722B-79DC-4936-9984-B7F674DBE128.jpeg

I fit oak cross bars as in picture could be fitted on back doors 

Could entry not be made by just breaking the glass above the bar or to the sides? 

I agree that padlocks on the outside of a boat just say "I am unoccupied,  you can take your time breaking in and helping yourself"

haggis

21 minutes ago, haggis said:

Could entry not be made by just breaking the glass above the bar or to the sides? 

I agree that padlocks on the outside of a boat just say "I am unoccupied,  you can take your time breaking in and helping yourself"

haggis

Yes and the windows on the cabin sides I make solid doors as well 

Sorry rather bad photos - by the time I remembered this task it had got dark.

• The first shows the gadget I had made.
  • The second shows it in position - it fits into a slot in the engine room floor. Apologies for the photo of the camera strap, and for the amount of extraneous  clobber in the shot.
  • The third shows the doors locked, and my foot (again).DSCF1703.JPG.14d7ee2cc1ea74b2391681b56b155e9b.JPG
  • DSCF1704.JPG.3fb4c9f73b13ccda4847c46804e73a3e.JPG
  • DSCF1705.JPG.e7748dc03b406e716d8df1b4a0bcb882.JPG