no one told me I might experience motion sickness on a wide beam

Prue

Featured Posts

18 minutes ago, Bewildered said:

Interesting, does this phenomenon usually happen on the way to the pub or the way back?

I only ask because a couple of weeks ago I went to the pub and had 5 pints of Old Rosie and on the way back I felt decidedly dodgy; does this mean I'm a real boater now? :D

Not necessarily,  but it is certainly one way to become a real bloater! :D

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I am 100% 'fine' when we are moving or I am at the helm.

Anchor up and go below deck and its another story.

Ditto. 

Or be on a rolly, wallowy, fishing boat. That did it for me in about 5 minutes. 

I sailed off-shore for 40 years and the nearest I got to throwing up was whilst on the helm at 3am in the middle of the English Channel  an 'indisposed' crew member appeared at the hatch with a washing up bowl and proceeded to throw the contents overboard but to windward. (think about it). Fortunatly my plea "tell me that was water" was met with a "yes". I knew it wasn't but convinced myself otherwise.

• Greenie 1

52 minutes ago, Slim said:

Isn't it?????

Campbell's condensed vegetable soup is used by props departments to mimic vomit. There was that comedian who, on a plane, would covertly empty a tin into a sick bag, wait a bit then mime chucking up into the bag before getting a spoon out and eating it.

The effect on his fellow passengers can be imagined. :blush:

38 minutes ago, WotEver said:

It certainly tastes like it is...

Tried it a few years ago just to see if it was as good as I remember,  first sarnie was great, childhood memories came flooding back and it left me in a warm blanket of nostalgia. 

Second tasted of sweet sick, so it all got thrown away

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Tried it a few years ago just to see if it was as good as I remember,  first sarnie was great, childhood memories came flooding back and it left me in a warm blanket of nostalgia. 

Second tasted of sweet sick, so it all got thrown away

I did exactly the same several years ago. I could have saved you the trouble :D

• Greenie 1

58 minutes ago, BruceinSanity said:

Campbell's condensed vegetable soup is used by props departments to mimic vomit. There was that comedian who, on a plane, would covertly empty a tin into a sick bag, wait a bit then mime chucking up into the bag before getting a spoon out and eating it.

The effect on his fellow passengers can be imagined. :blush:

That used to be a party trick of mine performed at work on newbies, no bag or eating just a mouthful sprayed in their direction with a bit of acting, the look on their faces was wonderful to behold. 

14 hours ago, WotEver said:

Ditto. 

Or be on a rolly, wallowy, fishing boat. That did it for me in about 5 minutes. 

Strangely I went on a small fishing boat in rough seas years ago on a Cornish holiday and was fine,  but on a ferry crossing from Liverpool to the Isle of Man with seas like a mill pond I was ill.

Worst by far was going across the Bay for Biscay on across weekend "cruise" on the Pride of Bilbao. Almost everyone on board was ill and it was so rough they had to close some restaurants and shops because of damage caused by the ship rolling so much.

I hope I can give the OP some good advice. Like any purchase decision it's all about what you get and at what cost. 

What you get, boating. Boats are mankind's oldest mode of transport after their feets. They are not given names and attributed with identity and soul for nothing. Feeling the vibration of the engine through the deck, the thrust of water on the rudder through the tiller and yes the motion underfoot. A motion that becomes predictable and comforting ridden like a motorcyclist leaning into a curve as an instinctive flexure of the legs as you and the boat learn how to work together. As you practice you take pride in being able to place her alongside like kiss my hand and sliding her into a lock without touching at just the right place to step off. Working the lock itself in a safe, confident boatmanlike manner. Peace and quiet. The vee shaped ripple that points to the little whiskered nose of a water vole, the electric blue flash of a kingfisher, the wading menace of a heron.

What it costs. You need to be self contained.

Power. You have to generate your own. Remaining on a shoreline means you lose all of the above.

Water. Easy, plenty of places to fill and a tank could last a long time, like until you are back on your mooring.

Gas. You need to be able to transport and fit gas cylinders, like you said, you have a man for that. Not running out can be managed.

Toilet. Pump out every five days sound irksome to me. You will get into the habit of using facilities ashore as much as possible to conserve your toilet capacity. In winter you want to pump out more frequently to have as much space as possible if you get iced in. A spare porta potti for emergencies is a good idea because your man can trundle off with the same sack truck he uses for gas bottles.

Notice I don't mention £s.

Now how experienced is your man? Does he have the required level of boatmanship? Is he used to steering, ropework, lock operation? Without these skills all you have is an inadequate flat.

My best advice is to hire a narrowboat, about this time of year would be good. go and look for yourself at the country park that could be your home, and talk to boaters on the towpath. You may well fall in love with it, then you can think about living that life.

• Greenie 3

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Strangely I went on a small fishing boat in rough seas years ago on a Cornish holiday and was fine,  but on a ferry crossing from Liverpool to the Isle of Man with seas like a mill pond I was ill.

Worst by far was going across the Bay for Biscay on across weekend "cruise" on the Pride of Bilbao. Almost everyone on board was ill and it was so rough they had to close some restaurants and shops because of damage caused by the ship rolling so much.

Odd isn't it. Close hauled into a force 9 in Biscay with me lying on-above-on-above-on the foredeck with one arm round the forestay as I wrestle with a protesting storm jib. No worries. Well I say no worries, abject terror in fact but no sea sickness. Mid channel goose winged downwind from a force four, awful downwind roll, me lying in the bottom of the boat unable to stand my watch.

3 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Reminds me of my favourite Lord Peter Wimsey line: "Au contraire as the man said in the Bay of Biscay when asked if he'd dined."

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Sir Nibble said:

Odd isn't it. Close hauled into a force 9 in Biscay with me lying on-above-on-above-on the foredeck with one arm round the forestay as I wrestle with a protesting storm jib. No worries. Well I say no worries, abject terror in fact but no sea sickness. Mid channel goose winged downwind from a force four, awful downwind roll, me lying in the bottom of the boat unable to stand my watch.

I’m the same. Banging up and down, violently crashing from side to side, not a problem. Taking 8 divers out to sea in choppy waters in a RIB not a problem. Stopping while said divers are enjoying their dive and boat is now gently corkscrewing over the waves I’m now green. 

Prue don't forget your man won't always be around to do the man's chores. They are usually missing when needed so you end up emptying the loo and changing gas bottles. It gets dark early in winter. Your boat is bigger than my bungalow. How large is your family?

Thank you Jim, you are right in that it is a very serious decision to make and my hubby is in a huge rush to buy the boat with out having spent a night on a wide beam, me neither but I am not so keen, the cost of mooring has put me off, seeing as we will be charged for everything else on top of the £1000 every 4 months! plus £1000 a year license. I also am not comfortable with living carefully as regards how often I poo! this boat has an extra brown water tank for another 600 ltrs so I guess that's a help but more pumping out maybe, anyway because its 60x12ft then that limits where we can travel to, the initial idea was to save money which one could do with a smaller narrow boat where its possible to cc, but this isn't an option if you are employed and must be on time. Its all the gadgets and gizmos that my hubby is excited by, and I have worked out that there is some tension between people who view flash boats with a degree of hostility. and this is a shiny flash top spec boat. The other residents at the marina were a bit off with us. The caretaker was very kind and welcoming but its definitely a closed community. We shall see what develops.

53 minutes ago, Prue said:

the cost of mooring has put me off, seeing as we will be charged for everything else on top of the £1000 every 4 months!

And

the mooring fees shocked me. £4500 a year

I think your arithmetic needs a bit of polishing up too. I make that £1,500 every four months! 

1 hour ago, Prue said:

Thank you Jim, you are right in that it is a very serious decision to make and my hubby is in a huge rush to buy the boat with out having spent a night on a wide beam, me neither but I am not so keen, the cost of mooring has put me off, seeing as we will be charged for everything else on top of the £1000 every 4 months! plus £1000 a year license. I also am not comfortable with living carefully as regards how often I poo! this boat has an extra brown water tank for another 600 ltrs so I guess that's a help but more pumping out maybe, anyway because its 60x12ft then that limits where we can travel to, the initial idea was to save money which one could do with a smaller narrow boat where its possible to cc, but this isn't an option if you are employed and must be on time. Its all the gadgets and gizmos that my hubby is excited by, and I have worked out that there is some tension between people who view flash boats with a degree of hostility. and this is a shiny flash top spec boat. The other residents at the marina were a bit off with us. The caretaker was very kind and welcoming but its definitely a closed community. We shall see what develops.

Prue a genuine word of advice from someone who has seen people come and go and mostly go for a very long time. DONT DO IT you will not last, its not for you and its NOT a cheap way to live far from it. Just sayin like and being friendly your posts say it all honestly its not for you.

• Greenie 1

We have seen a fair few come and go. The saddest was a couple on a brand new huge widebeam, designed for them by a family member who was a designer (with zero experience of boats). Husband went out to work every day. Wife did not work but went out somewhere, anywhere, everyday because she hated been on the boat. Actually I only assume they have gone, maybe they are in a marina and never come out? Maybe they are cruising in France?

When we go to a pub we often meet other boaters (like lurchers we instantly recognise our own breed). We spend the evening talking about boats and canals, not much else. Are you going to fit in with this community?

Go and hire a narrowboat, learn to drive it (its not "mens work"). You might be hooked and if you are then buy a boat and live on it.

............Dave

• Happy 2