no one told me I might experience motion sickness on a wide beam

Prue

Featured Posts

On 27/10/2017 at 22:25, Dalslandia said:

It is real, but it is all in the head

I disagree. 

Knowing I don't experience seasickness I booked a day out sea fishing. Ten minutes out of habour I was taken totally by surprise and was retching over the side and feeling like death. Only solution was to lie down then it all went away.

I spent the whole ten hour fishing trip lying in the bottom of the  boat much to my annoyance and embarassment and amusement of all the others. I think it is mostly physical not 'in the head' as mine was totally unexpected.

Edited by Mike the Boilerman

Well, I don't wish to contradict any of the advice you've had so far but, after a lifetime at sea, I can tell you for sure that I had quite a number of shipmates who never got over motion sickness, even on big ships many of us hardly ever felt move and even in flat calm waters. My advice would be to get some serious cruising time in as quickly as possible to help you get your 'sea legs' - or not, as the case might be, but at least then you'll know.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree. 

Knowing I don't experience seasickness I booked a day out sea fishing. Ten minutes out of habour I was taken totally by surprise and was retching over the side and feeling like death. Only solution was to lie down then it all went away.

I spent the whole ten hour fishing trip lying in the bottom of the  boat much to my annoyance and embarassment. I think it is mostly physical not 'in the head'.

Mike, there's only one sure-fire cure for sea sickness: sit under an oak tree. ;)

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree. 

I spent the whole ten hour fishing trip lying in the bottom of the  boat much to my annoyance and embarassment. I think it is mostly physical not 'in the head'.

Have always told you that you should stay in more!:giggles:

with regard to mooring fees... the price you mention sounds about right for the size of boat and general area.

boats aren't cheap to get (unless it's a collander in disguise) and unless you are on them moving all the time they aren't cheap to keep.

looking at going live aboard on a dutch barge myself in the near future and so far the cheapest moorings we have found are a little under £6000, that combined with other costs gives us a rough figure of 12-15,000 per year for ongoing living costs, this is actually more expensive than the current 4 bedroom house with an acre of land and workshops that I currently have.

• Greenie 1

Have you thought about water tanks that run dry, unlike mains supplies?

Have you thought about batteries that go flat, leaving you without lights?

Have you thought about gas bottles that run out in the middle of cooking dinner?

You've already been reminded about toilets. If you get frozen in, you cannot get to pumpout.

Have you thought about where to live whilst having the bottom blacked?

All these things can make you sicker than the soporific rocking that most boaters enjoy.

At 60 ft long you can get as far north as Ripon as far south as Foxton and the Bridgwater and Rochdale to Sowerby Bridge.  My boat at 62ft was too long to go above York. Ginger can thin  the fluid in the middle ear. Our costs where 2 bags of coal per week 13Kg gas per fortnight 

32 minutes ago, Dalslandia said:

it is in the head, in the ear, it is about the balance, it can also be imagen, it is not in the stomach, but tent to upset that part.

Nerves situated inside your ear send messages to your brain with information about your movement. Along with messages from your eyes and muscles, these nerves help your body to maintain a good sense of balance. If the nerves in one of your ears send too many, too few, or wrong messages to your brain, it conflicts with the messages sent from your other ear, your eyes, or your body. Your brain then gets confused and this can cause dizziness and a spinning sensation (vertigo), and can make you feel sick.

Travel sickness is caused by repeated unusual movements during travelling. These repeated movements, such as going over bumps or around in a circle, send lots of messages to your brain. The balance mechanism in your ear sends different signals to those from your eyes, which results in your brain receiving mixed and confusing messages. This is what causes you to feel sick.

I suffer

I have a prescription for 'Cinnarizine' which is the only anti-sickness tablet able to penetrate the brain/blood membrane and tell the brain ’not to feel sick’.

Cinnarizine are the tablets issued in life-rafts.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

40 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Well, I don't wish to contradict any of the advice you've had so far but, after a lifetime at sea, I can tell you for sure that I had quite a number of shipmates who never got over motion sickness, even on big ships many of us hardly ever felt move and even in flat calm waters. My advice would be to get some serious cruising time in as quickly as possible to help you get your 'sea legs' - or not, as the case might be, but at least then you'll know.

Even Nelson is reported to have suffered from sea-sickness, and many seafarers experience twinges of it from time to time. Some disguise the cause by blaming it on an iffy meal the night before, or one too many libations! I have come across a number of remedies (apart from pills) such as bread and honey, ginger, 1 can of fizzy beer (not more) toast etc. and there are many others. I suspect that the efficacy of each depends on the gullibility of the individual!

Howard

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nerves situated inside your ear send messages to your brain with information about your movement. Along with messages from your eyes and muscles, these nerves help your body to maintain a good sense of balance. If the nerves in one of your ears send too many, too few, or wrong messages to your brain, it conflicts with the messages sent from your other ear, your eyes, or your body. Your brain then gets confused and this can cause dizziness and a spinning sensation (vertigo), and can make you feel sick.

Travel sickness is caused by repeated unusual movements during travelling. These repeated movements, such as going over bumps or around in a circle, send lots of messages to your brain. The balance mechanism in your ear sends different signals to those from your eyes, which results in your brain receiving mixed and confusing messages. This is what causes you to feel sick.

I suffer

I have a prescription for 'Cinnarizine' which is the only anti-sickness tablet able to penetrate the brain/blood membrane and tell the brain ’not to feel sick’.

Cinnarizine are the tablets issued in life-rafts.

The brand name for which is 'Stugeron' (as previously mentioned}

This HAS to be a wind up. No one could be so daft as to consider spending £100,000 with so little understanding of what they're embarking on.

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Slim said:

This HAS to be a wind up. No one could be so daft as to consider spending £100,000 with so little understanding of what they're embarking on.

It happens all the time, it really does. At least they are looking at second hand boats rather than specifying/designing their own brand new with zero knowledge of boats and boating.

.................Dave

13 minutes ago, Prue said:

I can see what you are saying to each other you know, you are really patronising.

No Prue, I'm not being patronising I'm being honest. If this is a a genuine topic and you go ahead with your purchase I'll be amazed if you're still living afloat in 12 -18 months time

5 hours ago, dmr said:

Living aboard a boat and cruising extensively is great.

I sometimes think that living aboard a static boat in a marina is the worse of both worlds, but lots of people do it, and it probably is still a bit better than a house.

But, we have met so so many couples where husband wants to live on the boat and wife is very very unhappy and just doing it to please husband. These people usually don't stick it for long. Im lucky, my wife likes the boaty life just as much as me, if not more.

Real boaters dont get sea sick, they get land sick. (really)

...............Dave

There is another option; She lives in the house. He lives on the Boat. She gets the enjoyment of the boat without any of the headaches. He gets a regular deep bath. Back-of-the-net!

Edited by Dave_P

9 hours ago, Prue said:

I can see what you are saying to each other you know, you are really patronising.

You come onto a forum asking for advice, it's given warning of the challenges of being a live aboard. Your response is to be shitty and rude .... what do you expect ?

Do us a favour and stay on the dry luv !

12 hours ago, Prue said:

..I had motion sickness

, well not sickness but lightheaded, dizzy, weird horrible feeling, I got off and on again, stood in the fresh air.. but it didnt go, it eased off a bit standing in the middle of the boat and talking to distract myself, please can anyone advise me , is this normal? 

No its not normal. 

Have you tried another boat to see if you get the same feeling?

10 hours ago, Prue said:

Perhaps you would do well to heed the advice of those that have actually done it? I personally have lived aboard for 20 plus years...and seen many in the situation as you are come & go....it can be an expensive mistake.....but you know better so go ahead....let us know the boat name so we watch out for it being for sale in six months or so.....

I think any queasy feelings will fade away.  But you should take a travel sickness pill about an hour before you board the boat.  It's hopeless taking them after you feel ill.  I wonder if you are sensitive to some smell on the boat?  I really think it's good advice to hire a boat for about a week or more before you commit to buying.

And yes, we are aware that you can read what we are posting!  This is how forums work!  You must think we are all naive.  Why do you need such a big boat?  One of the best things about boats is downsizing and getting rid of possessions.  A simpler life is what it's all about.