no one told me I might experience motion sickness on a wide beam

Prue

Featured Posts

4 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Yep, they are considering re naming The Cannot Move on Canal!

I passed a boat on the Coventry today and it said " Kennet and Avon " on the side.........I bet some poor sod down there is still looking for it.

• Haha 1

Hebden Bridge is like this now, I was shocked when I visited a few weeks ago, I used to live there and there we no narrow boats at all, now its bumper to bumper, very trendy thing to do apparently.

I like Gin.....maybe the answer to my issue is to be permanently soaked.

4 minutes ago, Prue said:

Hebden Bridge is like this now, I was shocked when I visited a few weeks ago, I used to live there and there we no narrow boats at all, now its bumper to bumper, very trendy thing to do apparently.

If you are thinking of doing it because you assume its trendy then I suggest you don't bother as you will be in for a shock!!

6 minutes ago, Prue said:

Apperley Bridge marina, unfortunately only 3 miles from Bradford.

You talk of shock a lot.

whats so awful about living aboard that is going to shock me?

Well for a start you were almost seasick in the marina, you have obviously never been on one of a Narrowboat before but you are about to throw a shed load of money at it without even seening if you can sleep afloat let alone live like it.

• Greenie 1

ok, Ive got to start somewhere, we are going out on this boat tomorrow to have a go for a few hours with the owner, he has suggested we spend a weekend on it to experience sleeping on it. If we are both working when do we get the chance to spend "weeks" trying this out? I get your point, Im not parting with one penny if I cant stand the motion sickness thing, what are the other awful things that will happen?

Why?

why is this a wind up?

2 minutes ago, Prue said:

ok, Ive got to start somewhere, we are going out on this boat tomorrow to have a go for a few hours with the owner, he has suggested we spend a weekend on it to experience sleeping on it. If we are both working when do we get the chance to spend "weeks" trying this out? I get your point, Im not parting with one penny if I cant stand the motion sickness thing, what are the other awful things that will happen?

Why?

why is this a wind up?

Well, Wide tend not to move much, if at all.so Motion does not enter the Equation.

You will get over the motion sickness. The boat you are looking at is built to the maximum length for the L&L and it's very difficult to get through some of the locks. I don't think it was ever built to cruise definitely as a house boat.

On 27/10/2017 at 21:58, Prue said:

the mooring fees shocked me. £4500 a year

it is as expensive as living in a house if we pay mooring fees, its a large boat to try to CC with.

Well yes, duh. This is normal. 

Reading between the lines you seem to think a boat should be cheaper than a house to live on. A common misperception.

A superior lifestyle usually costs more, not less, dunnit!

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
  • Love 1

20 minutes ago, Prue said:

Apperley Bridge marina, unfortunately only 3 miles from Bradford.

You talk of shock a lot.

whats so awful about living aboard that is going to shock me?

Living aboard a boat and cruising extensively is great.

I sometimes think that living aboard a static boat in a marina is the worse of both worlds, but lots of people do it, and it probably is still a bit better than a house.

But, we have met so so many couples where husband wants to live on the boat and wife is very very unhappy and just doing it to please husband. These people usually don't stick it for long. Im lucky, my wife likes the boaty life just as much as me, if not more.

Real boaters dont get sea sick, they get land sick. (really)

...............Dave

• Greenie 2
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Prue said:

Ive read about this motion response once back on land, but why experience it only on a boat that weighs about 35tons and barely moves and not in cars or motor bikes or planes or ferries? 

Well Im not a luuvy hippie, Im a girl from Swindon ! who is very quickly going off the idea of living aboard.

If this is the way you are thinking then, maybe, frangar's advice, which was not sarcasm and neither is this, is relevant. As you quite rightly point out £100,000 is a hell of a lot of money to fork out if you don't like the life and believe me there will be numerous things that you may not find pleasant associated with boats and canals.

I have a passenger boat that sail on a Canal with Canal/locks and lakes 50/50, I Think it have been 4 times in 40 years someone have been seasick onboard, the fastest impregnated the carpet 10 minutes after leaving the harbour, then a lady, 2 minutes after she come onboard said she was feeling sick, took her up in the wheelhouse, talking to her for 20 minutes and she was fine the rest of the day, then a friend, that feed the pikes, 5 times in 5 hour. 

It is real, but it is all in the head.